The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for all the helpful information on these forums.

I am the new owner of a 2014 F350, crew cab, 6.7l, lariat. This is my first Ford vehicle, I just made the switch from Dodge to Ford. I bought the vehicle used with just over 50k, from a ford dealership. I also extended the warranty with premium care. I have owned the truck for just over two weeks now, although it has been in the shop at the dealership about half that time.

Before I even took the vehicle off the lot, the dealer replaced the EGR cooler on the truck, after finding it was plugged.

After driving the truck for about 5 days, i got the dreaded "def system fault, in 50 miles your speed will be limited to 50mph". This message appeared about 10 minutes after the chech engine light came on. The message went off on my way back to the dealer, even though the engine light stayed on. My dealer is about 60 miles, or and hour and 45 minutes away, which is a decent hike.

The dealer kept the vehicle for a couple days, and found code P0207F in memory. They reset the egr valve and did some kind of reflash, which reset all of the sensors.

I have not been able to get a passing inspection yet because of readiness, since the sensors have not all come back online. I was instructed by the dealer to put an additional 200 miles on the truck to get the sensors back online in order to pass inspection. I have had the truck back for 4 days so far. Yesterday while driving, I got the message that the truck would be limited to 50mph upon restart, def system fault. The truck wasnt lying, and i am now limited. My code reader says P2070. Taking another day off work on monday to drive to the dealer, except this time i will be limited to 50mph the whole way. Very frustrating to say the least, time off work and missed time with the family.

The biggest bummer here is that i dont want to have to be worried to drive my 2014 truck next time it's time to go with the family on a long drive. I expected a bit more reliability from a truck this new.

I know used cars where I am are also subject to a similar lemon law as new ones, and if this problem happens again, I'm afraid that might have to be brought up. I love this truck inside and out, but reliability will always be in the back of my mind because of this exhaust system.

I will continue to update this as I find out more from the dealer. I know there are already alot of similar posts with people having similar issues, but I figure it cant hurt to share another story in case it can help somebody else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read that it could be a bad nox sensor. I have also read that this has been replaced and the problem came right back. I did some reading before my first visit to the dealer, and told them about the nox sensor, needless to say they ignored what I told them. Maybe this time they will get it right. I dont want to drive almost 2 hours away once a week just to get a reflash and be able to drive for a few days.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
...The biggest bummer here is that i dont want to have to be worried to drive my 2014 truck next time it's time to go with the family on a long drive. I expected a bit more reliability from a truck this new...
Hi lineman8,

I'd like to step in here and do what I can to help turn things around. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll push this up the line to your regional customer service manager.

Crystal

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Crystal. A PM was sent.

Update:
I was driving the truck to the dealership this am. Well, the computer wasn't lying, and I was limited to 50mph. 50mph doesn't sound very slow, but it sure feels slow when everybody is flying past you on the highway. It made for a very uncomfortable ride.

Then, to make things worse, I got a chime which warned me that the engine would idle soon! There was no countdown or any other information. I receieved the warning when i was about 35 miles from the dealership, about halfway there from home. My options were to either keep chugging along or try and get a tow from where I was. Thankfully I made it safely to the dealership without the truck idling on me.

The dealer has promised to make it right, and find the problem for real this time. They have also provided a rental to me in the meantime.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update:

I have had the truck back for 12 days, and on my way home from work I notice the check engine light come on. Sure enough, a few minutes later the warning comes up that the engine will idle soon. Right before christmas, wonderful... I called the dealer and he told me to bring it there Saturday. Out of a truck until Saturday when I can hopefully get it to take one more trip to the dealer. Otherwise,I'm hoping the tow driver wont mind if I hitch along for the hour and a half drive. Thankfully my mother in law is nice enough to lend me her car to get to work tomorrow.

I have about had it with this truck. I cant keep it on the road. Three times into the dealer for DEF issues. Absolutely no faith in this trucks reliability at this point. 2014 heavy duty pickup that can only drive for a week at a time before a mechanic needs to look at it. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Forgot to mention, this time its showing code P207f. No countdown, just a warning that it will idle soon. Dealer replaced nox sensors last time.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quick update:

I have had the truck back for 12 days, and on my way home from work I notice the check engine light come on. Sure enough, a few minutes later the warning comes up that the engine will idle soon. Right before christmas, wonderful... I called the dealer and he told me to bring it there Saturday. Out of a truck until Saturday when I can hopefully get it to take one more trip to the dealer. Otherwise,I'm hoping the tow driver wont mind if I hitch along for the hour and a half drive. Thankfully my mother in law is nice enough to lend me her car to get to work tomorrow.

I have about had it with this truck. I cant keep it on the road. Three times into the dealer for DEF issues. Absolutely no faith in this trucks reliability at this point. 2014 heavy duty pickup that can only drive for a week at a time before a mechanic needs to look at it. Sorry for the rant.

Don't blame you at all. Unfortunately this has been the case with just about any diesel truck (and now any diesel engine). They've all had issues of some sort with the newer emissions. Google "International Maxforce" if you want to read a few horror stories lol.

You might want to consider taking it to a different dealer. Any dealer should be able to work on it. No reason to take it to a dealer 60 miles away if they can't fix it.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
P207F is a tricky code to diagnose. It also seems that in the last year since recall 14E03 came out we have been seeing a lot of SCR related problems. While there is a calibration update and a TSB that instructs us to replace NOx sensors, this does not always correct the condition. At this point it is imperative that the technician diagnose this by the code and follow the pinpoint tests if not to find the cause but to rule things out. Unfortunately it is common to have trucks come back with the code(s) repeating as the real cause is difficult to determine. Here in NJ I have come across a high number of bad grounds on the frame causing problems with the SCR system -mostly on cab and chassis models however I have seen it on pick-ups as well.

Is there any repair history on this truck you know of?

As TousleyParts mentioned, a lot of the manufacturers are having problems like this. My dealership also sells Dodges. There are a lot of SCR catalysts being replaced on both of their diesels. Don't give up on the truck. Are there any dealerships closer to you?

Reactions: TousleyParts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Don't blame you at all. Unfortunately this has been the case with just about any diesel truck (and now any diesel engine). They've all had issues of some sort with the newer emissions. Google "International Maxforce" if you want to read a few horror stories lol.

You might want to consider taking it to a different dealer. Any dealer should be able to work on it. No reason to take it to a dealer 60 miles away if they can't fix it.
Good luck!!
I have read some horror stories on the forums and they definitely make me uneasy. Has the EPA gotten so strict that they can just have your truck stop running to avoid the risk of a little extra smog escaping. What ever happened to a check engine light letting you know, now instead they shut you down in your tracks.

We have a freightliner with a cummins in our fleet that has had the check engine light since day 1, and has been nothing but problems. Our only truck with DEF, and its always breaking down. All the other older trucks are very reliable and nothing breaks them.

I would have gone to a different dealer by now trust me, but I bought this truck from this dealer only a month ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
P207F is a tricky code to diagnose. It also seems that in the last year since recall 14E03 came out we have been seeing a lot of SCR related problems. While there is a calibration update and a TSB that instructs us to replace NOx sensors, this does not always correct the condition. At this point it is imperative that the technician diagnose this by the code and follow the pinpoint tests if not to find the cause but to rule things out. Unfortunately it is common to have trucks come back with the code(s) repeating as the real cause is difficult to determine. Here in NJ I have come across a high number of bad grounds on the frame causing problems with the SCR system -mostly on cab and chassis models however I have seen it on pick-ups as well.

Is there any repair history on this truck you know of?

As TousleyParts mentioned, a lot of the manufacturers are having problems like this. My dealership also sells Dodges. There are a lot of SCR catalysts being replaced on both of their diesels. Don't give up on the truck. Are there any dealerships closer to you?
Thanks for the advice Ford Doctor. I checked the car fax history on the truck before I bought it, and it only showed oil changes and normal service intervals. Im not sure if any other maintenance was done and just not submitted or reported. I'm starting to think the last owner may have known something about the truck before jumping ship. Either that or he got very lucky and sold it 100 miles before all the problems started.

I really do love the truck, looks great, very comfortable, and tons of power. I jist wish i could depend on it more. I will update here once i learn more from the dealer.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Good grief. Does your truck have the Ford have the roadside assistance program?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Ford offers free towing....you need to check your owners manual for the number

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
Vehicles Sold In The U.S.: Getting Roadside Assistance

To fully assist you should you have a vehicle concern, Ford Motor Company
offers a complimentary roadside assistance program. This program is
separate from the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The service is available:
• 24 hours, seven days a week.
• for the coverage period listed on the Roadside Assistance Card included in your Owner's Manual portfolio.

Roadside assistance will cover:
• a flat tire change with a good spare, if provided with the vehicle (except vehicles that have been supplied with a tire inflation kit).
• battery jump start.
• lock-out assistance (key replacement cost is the customer's responsibility).
• fuel delivery — Independent Service Contractors, if not prohibited by state, local or municipal law, shall deliver up to 2.0 gallons (7.5 liters) of gasoline or 5.0 gallons (18.9 liters) of diesel fuel to a disabled vehicle. Fuel delivery service is limited to two no-charge occurrences within a 12-month period.
• winch out — available within 100 feet (30.5 meters) of a paved or county maintained road, no recoveries.
• towing — Ford and Lincoln eligible vehicles towed to an authorized dealer within 35 miles (56.3 kilometers) of the disablement location or to the nearest authorized dealer. If a member requests to be towed to an authorized rv dealer more than 35 miles (56.3 kilometers) from the disablement location, the member shall be responsible for any mileage costs in excess of 35 miles (56.3 kilometers). Trailers shall be covered up to $200 if the disabled eligible vehicle requires service at the nearest authorized dealer. If the trailer is disabled, but the towing vehicle is operational, the trailer does not qualify for
any roadside services.

Vehicles Sold In The U.S. : Using Roadside Assistance Complete the roadside assistance identification card and place it in your wallet for quick reference. This card is found in the owner's information portfolio in the glove compartment.
U.S. Ford vehicle customers who require

Roadside Assistance, call 1-800-241-3673.
If you need to arrange roadside assistance or yourself, Ford Motor Company will reimburse a reasonable amount for towing
to the nearest dealership within 35 miles (56.3 kilometers). To obtain reimbursement information, U.S. Ford vehicle customers call 1-800-241-3673.

Customers will be asked to submit their original receipts.

Vehicles Sold In Canada : Getting Roadside Assistance Canadian customers who require roadside assistance, call 1-800-665-2006.

Vehicles Sold In Canada : Using Roadside Assistance For your convenience, you may complete the roadside assistance identification card found in the centerfold of your warranty guide and retain for future reference.
Canadian roadside coverage and benefits may differ from the U.S. coverage. If you require more information, please refer to the coverage section of your warranty guide, call us in Canada at 1-800-665-2006, or visit our website at Ford ? New Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Hybrids & Crossovers | Ford Vehicles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The dealership has agreed to cover the cost of the tow, since I bought it so recently. The price was so high because it was a 60 mile tow. The driver said it would have been closer to $400 if I hadnt used AAA.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
lineman8 does your state have a lemon law? You might want to bring this up with the service manager they certainly don't want to be forced to buy back the truck by the state. If they do, it will be on a Carfax report as a lemon and imposable to resell at retail. They would rather fix it right than blow it out at auction.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts