The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using Michelin LTX/MS tires for a mighty long time with great success towing our travel trailer. No longer available.

I understand now there is a Defender LTX/MS tire available. Has anyone tried a set of these new Michelin series tires? If so, I would appreciate your comments, especially as they relate to previous Michelin tires you have used. Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I am also a long-time Michelin LTX/MS tire user. When they became no longer available, and the Michelin Defender did not have the 60,000 mile warranty as did the LTX/MS, I decided to switch to a 60,000 mile tire, the Sumitomo Encounter HT. So far, so good. They are working well for me. Now I am switching to another 60,000 mile tire, the Otani RK1000.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I am into (2) sets of Defender on two trucks.
They wear about 30% faster than the previous LTX/M&S-2 in identical driving conditions.

I found a set of New Old Stock LTX/M&S-1 that had been kept ina climate controlled warehouse and I planned on using them for spares for the Defenders.

Now I have pulled the front axle of the Defenders and use them as spares.

I will not be purchasing any more LTX Series.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps those of us who have been faithfully using the older LTX/MS series and liked them so much should start using the XPS Ribbed tire. Just wished they made a 265/75/16 tire. Smaller footprint for the XPS 16 inch size, however.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Add me to the list of former Michelin LTX/M&S who had to switch to the Defender LTX/M&S. Three years down the road, I'm still happy with them. Seem to handle just as well as the former design, but I haven't found the faster wear mentioned above. I'll be replacing these with another set when the time comes.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Guess I will go ahead and buy a set of Michelin Defender LTX/M&S tires in my size. I like the wider profile of the 265/75/16 that came as original equipment size on my truck. Also checked on other forums and folks seem to think that they continue to have an outstanding ride quality and be a great handling tire for our size trucks. Just have to accept less miles.

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
Mike- did you get the Defenders? How are the doing? Has anyone tried the LTX A/T2? Tread design is a bit funky, but we the are 60,000 mile tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
Currently I am using defender tires. Recently I requested a quote from discount tire. They talk about a Michelin cross climate that has a little more aggressive tread and are rated better for heavier trucks. I looked at how they compared to defenders... looked okay to me.
I end up running my tires almost bald before I get around to replacing them.
Quote for 6 tires was about $1420.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts