The Diesel Stop banner

Delay in ShutDown.

1856 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  klhansen
The past couple of days my truck will not shut down immediately after I turn off the key. I turn off the key & all the accessories shut off but the engine will keep running for about 5 to 10 seconds. It will not do it all the time but seems to be more frequent with the hot humid weather we have had since last thursday. As a matter of fact it started to do this last thursday afternoon. Anybody got any suggestions?
It really strange to shut down & get out of the truck & the engine is still running. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Reg
See less See more
1 - 3 of 12 Posts
Only two things come to mind. The ignition switch is hanging up, or both the PCM and IDM power relays are sticking (not likely, as they are both fed by the same circuit).

I lean toward the ignition switch.

The ignition switch has 4 separate circuits coming off it that are powered when in run. If one of those isn't switching like it should, you could have the symptoms you are seeing.

If it gets worse, I'd recommend replacing the ignition switch (located alongside the steering column just under the instrument panel.)
It sounds like you may have some voltage feeding back into the ignition circuit as the fan spins down. It must be enough to keep relays latched in or whatever. It could be the type of motor you have in your cooler is acting like a generator as it spins to a stop. Maybe a diode in the circuit is needed to prevent feedback. Without details on how you wired it, that's about all I can think of.

I bet Ford_Forgotton (Daryl) could figure this out. He's the wiring guru here.
[ QUOTE ]
You hit the nail on the head!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What part did you mean? About that Daryl could figure it out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
See less See more
1 - 3 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.