The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to post a question regarding calibration of Torque wrenches. I thought the Other forum would be a good place to do it, but I'm dissuaded by the "Junk" that's in there. I personally don't think stuff not related to engines, trucks, tools, this site, the auto industry, or anything not "motor head-ish" should be allowed in their, because it dilutes the likelyhood of getting an answer quickly. I rarely go in their because I don't want to hear about politics, the NRA, or anything else. I feel more comfortable at this point posting my question in the 6.9 or 7.3L forums where I know their are sound minds and good mechanics. - Mel.

------------------
Mel and Suzi's 83' F-250HD 4X4 "The Moose Truck" Non-turbo (But Hypermax on order!), GV overdrive, Banks Power pack, Dual Stacks, 35" tires.
Photo Page 20 near the bottom.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Well, the other forum was created just to be a "off-topic" area that where almost anything can be talked about. Most here either don't visit it or find it a valuable tool.

You will find that nearly all the posts in the forums will be replied to one way or another and some of the best mechanics on the site are frequently in the other forum debating "other" topics.

Go ahead and post your question there. I can almost gurantee you will get a response

SP

·
Registered
15,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough, but because I don't find much of interest in the Other forum, I fear that maybe others feel that way. Hence my hesitation to post. Maybe we need a miscellaneous forum for things still truck related, but not specific to any year or model? Anyway, I put the question in there, and we will see how right you are. - Mel.

------------------
Mel and Suzi's 83' F-250HD 4X4 "The Moose Truck" Non-turbo (But Hypermax on order!), GV overdrive, Banks Power pack, Dual Stacks, 35" tires.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
agnem,

The "Other" forum is a great place where we can all discuss anything (almost) that interests us. We have all been drawn to this site by our common interest in Ford Diesel trucks, but our interests don't stop there. Many of us have grown to know each other after many posts and enjoy sharing our beliefs with the friends we have found here. We don't all agree on most any topic that comes up, but, for the most part, we are able to discuss our differences here in a civil manner. It is a learning experience that broadens the mind.

I invite you to join us. Sooner or later, you will have read enough about bad torque converters, loose turbo bolts, ad nauseam. At that point, you will sign on, see nothing new that interests you and leave. Don't do that! Join us on the "Other" Forum and discuss the events of the day. This way, you can check out the truck stuff and still have fun with us.

Mike

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
You see the more that you refrain from posting your question there the more the other forum will look like the NRA and politics thread.

I have been able to post numerous questions that range from shots for my dog to piston rings on a 95 Saturn and have always been able to get a few good replies that typically answer my question completely.

Don't be afraid just plow right in and interject. There is some good people in that forum. They are passionate about some of the topics that are there and I embrace it. It is nice to have a place where people can discuss just about anything they need like civilized people.

------------------
Keith
1994 F-250, PowerStroke Diesel, 5 Speed, SC, LB, 4x4, with a 4.10 Geared Limited Traction Differential, Warn Premium Manual Hubs and a Happy Driver.
NRA Life Member. Click Here For Keith's Diesel Page

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Although I too visit the OTHER forum less and less as there is a lot of the same ol', same ol' there, I still do visit it as I can still find topics of interest every now and then. But, as long as the Webmaster himself agrees to the content, I think the forum is serving it's purposes and that's to let people talk about things OTHER than trucks...

------------------
Troutly

2000 F-350 PSD 4x4 XLT CC SRW SWB Toreador Red with all the goodies pulling 2000 Formula 353 FASTech with HP500EFI's..aka "Crime Wave"

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
You will find that most of the Other posters are also some of most active members on this site. We also read most of the various forums, note the four "other" regulars that have posted here.

I find that general interest tool,small engine and boat questions are quickly and accurately answered in the "other" forum. I gaurantee that there are "sound" minds lurking all over the "other" forum. It's the only place that we can hang out while waiting for the next PSD problem to arrise

------------------

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I, myself, have become a regular on the other forum, but I occasionally browse through all of them. After a while of reading about chips, oil, cackle, fuel mileage, etc. you begin to see the same questions over and over, due to the growing number of new members. I throw in my 2 cents worth, when I see a question that I have seen debated before.

The Other column, though is nice, because it keeps me checking this site just about every day. If it wasn't for the other column, I would probably only log on about once every week or two. It's also nice in that we're not preaching to the choir and it makes for some very interesting debates. I think we have all learned a lot and we have Jason to thank for it.

Thanks again, Jason.

Some of us really do put some hard research into our postings and I for one, know that I have been persuaded to change my mind on a topic due to what I have learned from others.

TTFN
Rich

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi there agnem

The "general diesel" forum covers all sorts of things and different manufactors of diesels. It's a catch all for things pertaining to diesels. Heck join us on any forum and have some fun instead of just reading about problems
. As Bob Barker would say "COME ON DOWN" to the bottom of the forum list!!

s to ya

Ed

P:S: I don't agree with everyones opinion as I am sure everyone doesn't agree with mine. That is what makes it enjoyable.

------------------
Early 99-F250SC-PSD-LAR- other goodies.
NRA&TX.ST.RIFLE ASSC.-LIFER-NRA/ILA AND MEMBER-GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA MEMBER-I DO VOTE!

[This message has been edited by H ED S (edited 05-20-2000).]

·
Registered
15,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK. I stand educated on the virtues of the "other" forum, and promise never to propose such a rediculous idea again!
- Mel.

------------------

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Plus you just have to love that particle board topic.

------------------
Keith
1994 F-250, PowerStroke Diesel, 5 Speed, SC, LB, 4x4, with a 4.10 Geared Limited Traction Differential, Warn Premium Manual Hubs and a Happy Driver.
NRA Life Member. Click Here For Keith's Diesel Page

NorthEast Rally Page

1 - 13 of 13 Posts