The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a supposedly brand new OEM EGR valve here:

05-10 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel OEM EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve 9F452 | eBay

The description says:

"Condition:

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an . See the seller's listing for full details."

The pics below are what showed up loose in a shipping box without the original MC box. The picture in the ad showed the MC box it should be in.

1. It's marked Reman. Are brand new ones even available anymore or are they all remans like injectors?

2. Does Ford ever sell one in an un-printed box or plastic bag?

3. Does Fords always demand a core charge (This one didn't)?

4. Can anyone definitely say by looking at the pics that this definitely is or is not a new Mcraft valve and how can you tell? (any proof you can offer if it's not MCraft would be very valuable)

I absolutely don't want to start something with this guy if I'm not 100% positive BUT I equally don't like being scammed.

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
A reman is not what I would call new oem part sorry.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting that the same seller has listed another like it that says "Condition: Remanufactured".
Looks like you either contacted the seller on the inaccuracy or he realized the error of his ways?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought a supposedly brand new OEM EGR valve here:

. See the seller's listing for full details."
The fine details may exclude everything said up front.

1. It's marked Reman. Are brand new ones even available anymore or are they all remans like injectors?
Call the dealer's parts department and ask them.

2. Does Ford ever sell one in an un-printed box or plastic bag?
No. The part may be in a bag, but it will have a label on it.

3. Does Fords always demand a core charge (This one didn't)?
No. Again, ask the parts department.

4. Can anyone definitely say by looking at the pics that this definitely is or is not a new Mcraft valve and how can you tell? (any proof you can offer if it's not MCraft would be very valuable)
Still again, check the part number with the dealer.

Thanks very much in advance for your help!
I bought an EGR valve off ebay which is identical to the MC part, is shown to be REMAN, works just like OEM, and was a lot cheaper. I would expect the one you bought to perform as an OEM. As you already know, a lot of "OEM" repair parts are remans even from Ford in MC packaging. The set of heads I replaced last winter are from Ford, and are remans.

The label on the box shown in the original ebay listing says it is remanufactured. Unless there is some obvious defect, I'd install it and move on.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@TheCamel - I was not the one to contact him but I read the new ad and figured the same thing, someone else got up in his grille about the error.

I'm OK with it being a reman if that is all Ford offers now, I'll give him a pass on the error in his ad. I was just trying to verify that what he actually shipped me was a Ford piece as nothing on the part indicates Ford and that brand new ones are no longer available making this the "official OEM replacement". Just because he posted a pic of the correct box doesn't mean he shipped me what was inside of it. He also posted in his new ad that the reason for no box is he needs them to send cores back in. Sounds legit.

So at the end of the day I guess I will install it and give him good feedback other than accuracy of the listing.

meteor56, I too installed a set of those Reman Ford heads last year as well, like you said,that's all Ford offers.

I'll install it and move on, thanks to all.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I checked Auto Nation's website and it seems they must all be remans now. The valve they list notes that there is a core charge on it. New parts never have core charges. List price was like $180, and that's Auto Nation, so the typical dealer cost is going to be significantly higher. As far as packaging, can't say. Some OEM parts do come in bags, others boxes, just depends on what it is. Having never bought an EGR valve I have no first hand experience to say which is correct.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, thanks. I just thought Ford would be branded on it somewhere but I guess not. I'm sure it will work. I wish I never had to buy one either....

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Again, can't say specific to an EGR valve, but injectors don't have any Ford markings on them; they just come in a Ford box with a PN on the outside.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man that's crazy to me. The Chinese just need to perfect the Motorcraft box and they are good to go.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Be careful what you wish for, I've seen some stuff sold on eBay that was billed as OEM that was indeed a Chinese copy complete with a copied box. There was Ford IDS software being sold some years back that was like $800 for a package that was usually like $3,500. If you tried to log into Ford to update it they locked it out because they knew it was forged. So guys ended up out $800 for something that didn't work anymore and had basically no recourse because its essentially impossible to bring legal action against the Chinese. I hope that either their credit card or PayPal was able to refund their money, but its hard to say because often there's fine print that guys ignore in these listings, etc.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not wishing for it, believe me. My point was that without some kind of authentication on the part itself, it's much easier to get scammed when all they need to do is duplicate an identical box. At least if Ford used some kind of marking system on the part that changed regularly or was hard to duplicate, the consumer might stand a chance. Like Intel or Microsoft with their holographic thingy, I believe that worked at least for many years in the past.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Yes, but remember that old saying about all those monkeys typing on a typewriter and eventually you get the Gettysburg Address? Its kind of the same thing in China. It may take a little while, but eventually they can duplicate anything in appearance. Quality, sadly, is another thing altogether.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts