The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my order from Tousley Ford today. I immediately went to work taking the old banjo bolts out and installing the new ones (I'm not known for my patients). If you are planning on doing this mod keep a couple things in mind.
1)If you can put it off till you're changing coolant you'll be a lot less aggrivated. The big hose from the bottom of the degas bottle runs down to an inlet on the water pump thats right in front of the drivers side banjo bolt. You'll lose a lot of coolant if you take the hose clamp and hose loose to make installing easier. I managed to get the new bolt and washers on without removing the hose, but would've been easier removing the hose and clamp.
2)The intercooler hose from the intercooler up to the intake elbow is a raging PITA to remove and 10 times as bad to reinstall, but I can't see how you can do this with it in the way. Prepare yourself for a fight.
3)You can't use a ratchet on the drivers side bolt, but a ratcheting 17mm wrench is worth its weight in gold on this project. If it has a swivel head than you are on cloud nine.
4)The passenger side bolt will only take about 2 minutes to install after you get the CAC tube outta the way. A walk in the park compared to the drivers side.
Good luck.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I meant to post this in the upgrades and aftermarket forum.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Have you noticed any gains from this banjo Fuel return fitting mod? Fuel pressure diff? Egt?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel pressure is about the same and I havn't got my EGT probe for the Livewire yet so I can't say there.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So whats the point of this?

What are you trying to gain by doing this?

Is it all in your head?

Is this a mod that only helps a modded engine with larger injectors, and does nothing for a stock tuned engine?

I thought if your F/P is steady, above 55psi, that the system is working and doesnt need modification.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The point of this is to keep the rear injectors from being starved for fuel when running a high horse power tune. Maybe it isn't worth it to you, but it gives me piece of mind. Maybe it does nothing, but after looking at the difference in the bolts, I feel a lot more confident in the fact that there is no restriction to my injectors. The 6.0l bolts have a check valve built into them and the 6.4l bolts do not. The 6.4l bolts also have 2 more inlet holes and a larger unrestricted outlet hole.

·
Registered
772 Posts
how much were they?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I dont run a tuner but am wondering if this would do anything for a stock tuned engine.

For ten bux its worth the upgrade on a stock truck? or it wont matter?

It seems like an easy mod, but if theres no benifit.....

The rear injectors wont starve if you have the right fuel pressure.

A banjo bolt with larger holes wont help if your F/P is too low or pump is weak.

Sounds like you want more avalible fuel weather your injectors need it or not. At WOT does it starve for fuel with your high power tune? Can you feel a loss of power?

Is your F/P around 45psi at WOT?

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My fuel pressure has stayed consistant at 65psi idle down to maybe 56-57psi WOT. This has seemed to help on the high horsepower tunes, but like previously stated it may just be in my head. The truck seems to pull harder throughout the entire powerband and then some now. I have no dyno numbers to back this up. This is just me stating what I feel when gettin' in it hard. I don't know weather or not it would help a stock tuned truck (I doubt it), but for ten bucks it seemed worth while to me.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
....but for ten bucks it seemed worth while to me.
Don't get me wrong but by your original post it seemed as if you were pullin yer own wisdom teeth out with a pair of vice-grips trying to get these things installed

·
Registered
297 Posts
it seems like its worth 10 bucks. the check valves on the 6.0 banjos are useless, they dont actually do anything. the 6.4 banjo holes are so much bigger, that means less chance for fuel starvation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Part # please :)
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks
I take it those are Ford part numbers right.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Be interesting if someone just did the banjo upgrade by itself and see results.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
If you're worried about starving fuel...

Diesel Part # IDPRegReturn - Ford 6.0L PSD Regulated Return Kit - Diesel Performance Parts

Thats the solution, besides running the correct FP is first place.

The 6.4 uses different injectors and everything...
Basically you are correct The 6.0 has the same downfall of a dead head fuel rail as the 7.3. If you want to ensure 6&8 Inj get the proper amount of Fuel a Reg return is the best route. Firing order of the engine poses the same starvation problem in the 6.0 as the 7.3 does.Less the splitshot spitback the 7.3 has with stock inj that causes the turbulance in the fuel rail and starved #8 inj of fuel.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't get me wrong but by your original post it seemed as if you were pullin yer own wisdom teeth out with a pair of vice-grips trying to get these things installed

It was kinda hard considering I didn't pull certain things outta the way as stated in my original post, but the upgrade was completed quickly even in the dark driveway while contending with the usual "no room to work headaches" associated with working on the 6.0l engines. It wasn't that bad, but with coolant hoses removed it would be a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Quick question (yes I'm trolling an old thread). Got mine in today. What's the significance of the green on the top of the one bolt and the blue on the other. Are they driver/passenger side specific?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts