The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
That why I keep 3 or 4 tape measures laying around, and 4 or 5 pair of reading glasses.........welders are hard on stuff 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Stroking it
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t do much measuring larger than a micrometer. When I do, it’s AWOL. Usually, something like, I had to use it in the basement , left it on the bench down there and forgot that I used it down there when I need it.
I gave up buying reading glasses by the pair at the pharmacy. I now get a box of about a dozen from Amazon. I’m always breaking and loosing them.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I don’t do much measuring larger than a micrometer.
Years ago, before I began map and compass reading for wilderness hunts I was at work fabricating a small part off of a print. The engineer had specified the degrees and then 30 minutes! I asked my welding foreman “how do I measure minutes”. He said you don’t (Lol) ,set it as close to the degree and call it good, if they want it closer they should have specified (finish symbol) and had it machined.

I don’t do the precision measuring you do Nick. I have used a micrometer on occasion but I do use a slide caliper a lot.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have a tape measure in every vehicle we own including the RV. Another in the junk drawer in the kitchen, a beater on the welding bench and two good ones on my main toolbox. Micrometers on the bench, at the lathe (obviously) and in two out of three vehicles. I can honestly say I never spend any time looking for a measuring device.

If anyone is interested though I can tell you where I stored a good 4 foot spirit level in a shop I built close to 40 years ago now. Its in the SE corner, neatly encased in the corner studs. I stopped to visit the guy who currently owns the place a few years ago and told him where the level lives but he seemed uninterested in getting it out.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
If anyone is interested though I can tell you where I stored a good 4 foot spirit level in a shop I built close to 40 years ago now. Its in the SE corner, neatly encased in the corner studs. I stopped to visit the guy who currently owns the place a few years ago and told him where the level lives but he seemed uninterested in getting it out.
About 20 years ago I found and old wooden 4’ level with brass inlays between the studs of a late 1800’s century home we tore down. It was made in Pennsylvania but looks like it came over on the Mayflower 😉

The stories it could tell - I’ve got it hanging up in my collection.

Reactions: bobofthenorth

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I’m sorry, it is not a 4 footer. It was a 2 footer- looks a lot like the old studs which is why I think it got overlooked in the wood slat / plaster walls with full 2X4 oak studs. Here’s a few pics..... the brass plate has already retarnished:

Baize Wood Rectangle Recreation Electric blue
Wood Pool Automotive exterior Hardwood Flooring
Revolver Wood Publication Font Shotgun
Brown Wood Artifact Font Cemetery

1 - 13 of 13 Posts