The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should add oil level was a bit low but not crazy.
And happened after a fillip, but fuel in bowl looks clean.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the reservoir and it had a good 4" on my homemade dip stick. Will.top off and try again.

Gunk on filter is slimy/oily. Doesn't seem like rubber chunks.

Now that bowl/filter are clean, would I see new oil in housing after cranking if o-rings are bad?

·
Premium Member
8,760 Posts
I would say that you are going to have to drive it some to get the oil back into the filter and just cranking it won't put enough into the fuel system to tell. It will also depend on how much fuel you have in the tanks and if you refilled them recently.

For rubber chunks or parts of the O rings you will need to look at the fuel pressure regulator on the filter housing. But don't expect to see chunks of O rings.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're saying that an o-ring failure would still be drivable? You thinking it just bled off to much oil so as not to start?

Is the condition of my filter in the pic indicative of an o-ring failure.

I'm going to check pressure at HPOP and rail at cranking to see if I can isolate an o-ring problem.

Will also check fuel pressure at cranking.

I don't mind doing the o-rings just want to know why it won't start first.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
That's pretty heavy on the fuel filter! Are you sure that's not algae? I don't remember that much stuff on mine when I blew the O-rings (went through 8 quarts in 150miles). Drained fuel from the bowl and you couldn't see the sun through the fuel in a glass jar! Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Can you smear a white towel across the slime on the filter and post a photo?

It looks like oil but just to be sure its not organic.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't really smell like oil.

Can't get fuel pressure above 6-7psi on Schrader valve on regulator. Then bleeds off after I stop cranking.

Initially couldn't get anything till I switched tanks.

Possible my fuel lines, transfer switch are clogged?

Can see fuel coming into bowl so pump is working.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No HPOP pressure on passenger rail at 5/8 plug. Not even a flutter on 3k psi gauge.

Would that indicate bad hpop or just a bad oring on that bank?

Can bad IPR cause no pressure?

Or should I just replace hpop?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have better fuel pressure now. Comes up quicker.

Have 12 volts to IPR and good ground back to computer measured at IPR connector.

However cant tell if its making any noise. Would I be able to verify operation this way?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yanked the ipr, doesn't seem bound up, but Ford has one for me in the morning. Will try it and see.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IPR got me back up and running. Like I said, I had checked everything I could with a DVOM.

So I knew IPR was getting signal but no pressure from HPOP. Took a gamble replacing the IPR, but it paid off. This time.

Still running a little rough, I assume because of the fuel issue. However the fuel in bowl is clean, so my thought is contamination, not injector o-rings.

For right now, I'll focus on changing fuel filter ever fill up for a while, just to keep everything clean, and monitor my fuel pressure as it's still a bit low. Probably because of crap in the lines and selector switch.

Really appreciate the help and advice here!

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Still running a little rough, I assume because of the fuel issue. However the fuel in bowl is clean, so my thought is contamination, not injector o-rings.

For right now, I'll focus on changing fuel filter ever fill up for a while, just to keep everything clean, and monitor my fuel pressure as it's still a bit low. Probably because of crap in the lines and selector switch.
If that is contaminated fuel and not oil on your old filter then you are going to need to drop the tank.

Changing filters will not fix that.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I

You likely have air in the high pressure oil system - that happens when you pull the IPR. Just drive it hard and it will work its' way out.

Be sure you drain your fuel bowl before you pull the filter, otherwise you risk getting that trash into your injectors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts