The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 97 7.3 it starts fine. If I rush the truck and take over right after start up the truck will die in one mile and will take about 1 minute of cranking with grey smoke. It will take about 2 minutes of running and the truck will run like there was never any issues for the rest of the day.
During the extended cranking I will get a check engine light that will go away as soon as the truck starts. When I get the codes with my dummy reader it shows codes p1212 and p0340.
Thanks for all the help in advance.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Does it have a chip (since you have Baby Swamps)? If so, physically remove the chip from the PCM (with the keys nowhere near the ignition!!!) and see if the symptoms persist. Otherwise, I could post the pinpoint tests for those codes (if you want) to give some ideas on what to check. Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have any chips or programmers on this truck. I put the baby swamps because the truck was starting hard and running rough. Before the injectors I replaced the ipr, icp sensor, cam sensor, valve cover gaskets and plugs, glow plug relay, and I also borrowed my friends idm and tested it on my truck there was no difference.
There is no sloshing like there is water in my idm

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Well, it will be kind of long and you probably won't have breakout box, but here are the pinpoint tests that may help guide you for things to look at.

Z14 CONTINUOUS DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) 1212

Continuous DTC 1212 indicates there was no ICP signal voltage present during cranking.
Possible causes:
-- Empty/low oil reservoir
-- IPR circuit fault
-- Faulty IPR valve
-- Faulty ICP sensor
-- Faulty high pressure pump
Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test. Are KOEO DTCs present?
Yes: SERVICE KOEO DTCs before continuing. If DTC 1212 is still present, GO to «Z15».
No: If vehicle starts, the DTC is intermittent. GO to «Z19». If vehicle does not start, GO to «Z15».

Z15 CHECK OIL RESERVOIR LEVEL
Check oil level in oil reservoir. Verify correct oil quality and viscosity. Is oil level and quality OK?

Yes: GO to «Z16».
No: FILL oil reservoir. CLEAR DTCs. If vehicle does not start, GO to «Z16».

Z16 ICP SENSOR CHECK
Disconnect ICP sensor connector. Does vehicle start?

Yes: REPLACE ICP sensor. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
No: GO to «Z17».

Z17 HIGH PRESSURE LEAKAGE TEST
Reconnect ICP sensor connector. Perform the «Injection Control Pressure Leak Test» per the procedures in the Hard Start/No Start section (Step 9C). Is a leak fault indicated?

Yes: REPAIR condition causing the leak as necessary. CLEAR DTCs.
No: GO to «Z18».

Z18 IPR VALVE CHECK
Reconnect all hoses and ICP sensor. Replace IPR valve. Refill oil reservoir. Does vehicle start?

Yes: IPR valve was faulty. CLEAR DTCs.
No: REPLACE the high pressure pump. CLEAR DTCs.

Z19 CHECK FOR INTERMITTENT CIRCUIT FAULTS
Key on/engine off. Access ICP PID from the PID/DATA monitor menu on the NGS Tester. Grasp the vehicle harness close to the sensor connector. Wiggle, shake vehicle harness while working towards the PCM. Does ICP reading fluctuate?

Yes: REPAIR circuit as required. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
No: GO to «Z20».

Z20 INSPECT IPR CIRCUIT
Inspect IPR circuit from IPR valve through 42-way connector to the PCM. Are any faults indicated?

Yes: REPAIR circuit as required. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
No: Unable to verify concern at this time. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
G: Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor

G1 CLEAR AND ATTEMPT TO REGENERATE DTC P0344, P0341 OR P0340
Plug in NGS Tester. Clear Continuous Memory DTCs with NGS Tester. Crank engine while monitoring RPM PID. Does PID indicate crank RPM?

Yes: GO to G2
No: GO to G3

G2 RETRIEVE/CLEAR CONTINUOUS DTCs
Warm up engine to normal operating temperature. Increase rpm to 3300 rpm for 2 minutes. Key off. Perform Retrieve/Clear Continuous DTCs. Are DTC P0344 or P0341 present?

Yes: GO to G3
No: Fault is intermittent. GO to G12

G3 CHECK CMP SIGNAL RETURN CIRCUIT 796 (LB)
Unplug CMP sensor. Key off. Measure resistance between Pin A on the CMP connector and chassis ground. Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: Ground is OK. GO to G4
No: GO to G9

G4 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT 351 (BR/W) FOR VREF
CMP sensor unplugged. Key on. Measure voltage between harness connector Pin B and chassis ground. Is 5 volts ± 0.5 volts present?

Yes: Circuit 351 (BR/W) is OK. GO to G5
No: SERVICE VREF circuitry. GO to B1

G5 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT 795 (DG) FOR B+
CMP sensor unplugged. Key on. Measure voltage between harness connector Pin C and chassis ground. Is B+ present?

Yes: GO to G6
No: Circuit 795 (DG) is shorted or open. GO to G7

G6 CHECK CMP CIRCUIT 795 (DG) FOR SHORT TO B+
CMP sensor unplugged. Key off. Unplug PCM. Inspect 104 pin connector and repair if required. Key on. Measure voltage between harness connector Pin C and chassis ground. Is B+ present?

Yes: SERVICE short to B+ in Circuit 795 (DG). REASSEMBLE system. CONFIRM fix with NGS Tester PID RPM and by repeating G1 and G2.
No: Circuit 795 (DG) is OK. REPLACE CMP sensor.

G7 CHECK CIRCUIT 795 (DG) FOR SHORT TO GROUND
CMP sensor unplugged. Key off. Unplug PCM. Inspect 104 pin connector and repair if required. Key on. Measure resistance between connector point C and chassis ground. Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: SERVICE short to ground in Circuit 795 (DG). REASSEMBLE system. CONFIRM fix with NGS Tester PID RPM and by repeating G1 and G2
No: GO to G8

G8 CHECK CIRCUIT 795 (DG) FOR OPEN
CMP sensor unplugged. PCM unplugged. Key off. Install breakout box. Leave PCM disconnected. Key on. Measure resistance between harness connector Pin C and breakout box Pin 49 (49 State except Econoline) or Pin 21 (California and all Econoline). Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: Open is at PCM Pin 49. INSPECT PCM connector and PCM pins. SERVICE as necessary. REASSEMBLE system. GO to G11
No: REPAIR open in Circuit 795 (DG). REASSEMBLE system. CONFIRM fix with NGS Tester PID RPM and by repeating G1 and G2.

G9 CHECK FOR OPEN IN CMP GROUND CIRCUIT 796 (LB)
CMP sensor unplugged. Key off. Unplug PCM. Inspect 104-pin connector and PCM pins. Service as required. Leave PCM disconnected. Measure resistance between PCM Test Pin 65 and harness connector Pin A. Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: Circuit 796 (LB) is OK. GO to G10
No: SERVICE open in Circuit 796 (LB). REASSEMBLE system. CONFIRM fix with NGS Tester PID RPM and by repeating G1 and G2

G10 CHECK FOR CMP GROUND THROUGH PCM
CMP unplugged. Breakout box attached. Key off. Connect PCM to breakout box. Measure resistance between PCM Test Pins 25, 51, 76, 77 and 103 and ground. Is resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: PCM internal ground not supplied to Pin 65. REASSEMBLE system. GO to G11
No: REPAIR open in Circuit 570 (BK/W) and Circuit 57 (BK) as required. REASSEMBLE system. CONFIRM fix with NGS Tester PID RPM and by repeating G1 and G2.

G11 CONFIRM PCM FAULT
Rerun G1 and G2. Are faults still present?

Yes: REPLACE PCM and RERUN
No: System is OK

G12 FIND INTERMITTENT
Key off. Unplug PCM. Inspect 104-pin connector and PCM pins. Service as required. Install breakout box. Connect PCM to breakout box. Unplug the IDM relay in the engine compartment power distribution box to prevent engine from starting. Connect digital multimeter test leads between breakout box Test Pins 49 (49 State except Econoline) or Pin 21 (California and all Econoline) and Pin 65. Key on, engine off. Rotate engine by hand until voltage toggles from B+ to between 0.3 and 2.7 volts. Did lower voltage toggle fall between 0.3 and 2.8 volts?

Yes: GO to G13
No: GO to G3

G13 CHECK HARNESSES FOR INTERMITTENT
Breakout box installed. PCM attached to breakout box. IDM relay unplugged. Connect digital multimeter test leads between breakout box Test Pins 49 (49 State except Econoline) or Pin 21 (California and all Econoline) and Pin 65. Rotate engine by hand until voltage stays at lower toggle of between 0.3 and 2.7 volts. Wiggle harnesses and watch for voltage jump to B+ or 0.0 volts. Did voltage jump to B+ or 0.0 volts?

Yes: DETERMINE source of intermittent and REPAIR. CONFIRM fix with NGS PID RPM and by rerunning G1 and G2
No: Intermittent not found. REASSEMBLE system using dielectric grease. CHECK with NGS Tester PID RPM and by rerunning G1 and G2
B: Reference Voltage

B1 CHECK VEHICLE BATTERY POWER CIRCUIT
Key off. Disconnect PCM. Inspect for damaged or pushed-out pins, corrosion and loose wires. Service as necessary. Install breakout box, and connect PCM to breakout box. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between Test Pins 55, 71 and 97 and Test Pins 25, 51, 76, 77 and 103 at the breakout box. Note voltage. Measure voltage across battery terminals. Note voltage. Are both voltages greater than 10.5 volts, and are both voltages within 1.0 volt of each other?

Yes: GO to B2
No: Key off, RECONNECT sensor (if applicable). GO to A1

B2 CHECK VREF VOLTAGE
Key on, engine off. Breakout box installed, PCM connected. Measure voltage between Test Pin 90 and Test Pin 91 at the breakout box. Is voltage between 4 volts and 6 volts?

Yes: GO to B3
No: Less than 4 volts, GO to B5 . Greater than 6 volts, GO to B4

B3 CHECK VREF AND SIG RTN CIRCUITS FOR CONTINUITY
Key off. Sensor that sent you here disconnected. Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected. Measure resistance between Test Pin 90 at breakout box and VREF circuit at vehicle harness connector of the sensor that sent you here. Measure resistance between Test Pin 91 at breakout box and SIG RTN circuit at vehicle harness connector of the sensor that sent you here. Is each resistance less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes: Reference voltage OK. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.
No: SERVICE open in VREF or SIG RTN circuits. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.

B4 CHECK FOR EXCESS VOLTAGE ON VREF CIRCUIT
Key off. Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected. Disconnect NGS Tester. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between Test Pin 90 at the breakout box and battery ground. Is voltage less than 0.5 volts?

Yes: REPLACE PCM. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.
No: SERVICE short to power in vehicle harness. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and sensor. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.

B5 SIG RTN CIRCUIT CHECK
Key off. Breakout box installed. Connect PCM. Measure resistance between Test Pin 91 and Test Pins 25, 51, 76, 77 and 103 at the breakout box. Is each resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes: GO to B6
No: REPLACE PCM.

B6 CHECK FOR SHORTED ACCELERATOR PEDAL (AP) SENSOR
Key off. Breakout box installed, PCM connected. Disconnect AP sensor from vehicle harness. Inspect for damaged or pushed-out pins. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between Test Pin 90 and Test Pin 91 at the breakout box. Is voltage less than 4.0 volts?

Yes: Leave AP sensor disconnected. GO to B7
No: R EPLACE AP sensor. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.

B7 CHECK FOR SHORTED CAMSHAFT POSITION (CMP) SENSOR
Key off. Breakout box installed, PCM connected. Disconnect CMP sensor. Inspect for damaged or pushed-out pins. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between Test Pin 90 and Test Pin 91 at the breakout box. Is voltage less than 4.0 volts?

Yes: Leave CMP sensor disconnected. GO to B8
No: REPLACE CMP sensor. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and sensors. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.

B8 CHECK FOR SHORTED INJECTION CONTROL PRESSURE (ICP) SENSOR
Key off. Breakout box installed, PCM connected. Disconnect ICP sensor. Inspect for damaged or pushed-out pins. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between Test Pin 90 and Test Pin 91 at the breakout box. Is voltage less than 4.0 volts?

Yes: Leave ICP sensor disconnected. GO to B9
No: REPLACE ICP sensor. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and sensor(s). RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.

B9 CHECK FOR SHORTED EXHAUST BACK PRESSURE (EBP) SENSOR
Key off. Breakout box installed, PCM connected. Disconnect EBP sensor. Inspect for damaged or pushed-out pins. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between Test Pin 90 and Test Pin 91 at the breakout box. Is voltage less than 4.0 volts?

Yes: Leave EBP sensor disconnected. GO to B10
No: REPLACE EBP sensor. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and sensor(s). RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.

B10 CHECK FOR SHORTED MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE MAP SENSOR
Key off. Breakout box installed, PCM connected. Disconnect MAP sensor. Inspect for damaged or pushed-out pins. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between Test Pin 90 and Test Pin 91 at the breakout box. Is voltage less than 4.0 volts?

Yes: Leave MAP sensor disconnected. GO to B11
No: REPLACE MAP sensor. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and sensor(s). RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.

B11 CHECK FOR SHORTED BAROMETRIC PRESSURE (BARO) SENSOR
Key off. Breakout box installed, PCM connected. Disconnect BARO sensor. Inspect for damaged or pushed-out pins. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between Test Pin 90 and Test Pin 91 at the breakout box. Is voltage less than 4.0 volts?

Yes: Leave BARO sensor disconnected. GO to B12
No: REPLACE BARO sensor. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and sensor(s). RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.

B12 CHECK VREF CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND
Key off. Breakout box installed. Disconnect PCM. With all six of the three-wire sensors (AP, CMP, ICP, EBP, MAP and BARO) disconnected, measure resistance between Test Pin 90 and Test Pins 25, 51, 76, 77, 91 and 103 at the breakout box. Are all resistances greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes: REPLACE PCM. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test
No: SERVICE short to ground. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test
Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I will start with these and let you know what I can come up with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the delay I was trying to find a scanner to borrow but I had no luck
I followed charts the best I could without the break out t I found nothing wrong with those circuits
Is there any chance this could be a temperature sensor problem like a engine oil temp or coolant temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Try unplugging the ICP sensor.
Also switch the cps again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I switched the cps this morning and it still ran horrible
I unplugged the EOT sensor and it ran better so I was able to get to work this morning

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Didn't try the ICP?
Maybe the EOT Sensor is bad? Not sure I've ever seen anyone speak of bad EOT Sensor symptoms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have not tried the icp yet I got an EOT sensor for 14 bucks that I am going to see if it helps
I have noticed in the past that it seems like flipped a switch on the truck and would give me more horsepower. I saw a older post on here about the EOT so that's gear I will do tonight

·
Registered
235 Posts
Did it work!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No that EOT sensor didn't do it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts