The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 94 7.3 f250 was having trouble getting past 40mph without sputtering or during now that I replace the fuel filter and the return lines the truck will run good and get up and go great but will die if I come to a quick stop and then will have trouble starting

·
Registered
89 Posts
how much fuel in tanks?
i would be replacing the lift pump with a electric fuel pump.
and installing a fuel pressure gauge on the filter head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3/4 in main nine is the second.. How/ where do I get the electric pump and install it. Also what about the pressure gauge

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If it had a dirty fuel filter, then there is a chance that it got to the injector pump. Is there any water in the fuel? Water en-trained in the fuel can cause what you're seeing, lots of other fuel related problems too. Filters can only take out so much, then they rupture, and send dirty fluid throughout the entire system that they are supposed to protect. Dies on a sudden deceleration, is usually the result of a stuck fuel metering valve, but it usually starts right back up. Does it act like it ran out of fuel? I would work from the fuel filter back to the tanks until I found a leak. Good fuel at the filter, then I'd check the injector lines at the injectors and see if there is anything there. If not then I'd check the fuel shutoff solenoid. Solenoid good, then I'd be looking long and hard at the injector pump. If you have fuel at the injectors then the injector pump isn't putting up enough pressure, or all of your injectors have failed at exactly the same time (not likely). Since it starts and runs good at other times I would rule out low compression.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it acts like it ran out of fuel... No spitting or sputtering just dead.. What do I use to check fuel pressure and the shutoff valve?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Pull the schrader valve out, and put a gauge in its place. Pressure should be somewhere around 4 to 6 PSI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts