The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about diesels so ohm testing and chasing too technical of a problem but here is our dilemma. 2002 Excursion with 7.3, runs like a beast but we seemed to have the CPS fail a bunch within a block of the house and didn't think much of it since it was easily fixed but now thinking on it it may have been something else. When driving away from the house the truck just dies, like it's been shut off. No brakes, no steering and my wife and kids riding in a rolling tank. You can crank the motor for 30-40 seconds or more and eventually the engine starts to catch on really rough, once it's running it's extremely rough, eventually it evens out and then it's fine all day???? Same thing the next day, and the next .... Never throws a code. We've taken it to Ford multiple times and they are clueless. It finally threw a code for the IPC sensor which I changed and cleaned....same problem still. Sadly my wife is so used to it she leaves early and the kids tell her "not to cry this time"....

Has anyone had something like this happen? It hasn't happened twice now and both times we let it warm up for 5 minutes or more before leaving?? For wants to flash my computer but I don't want to sponsor these idiots poking and hoping until they find a solution

Help
Rob

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
What cps is in it right now? If its the gray one I would swap it for the dark blue. IPC..... Do you mean ICP?? If you change the ICP, witch brand you have? Make sure there is no oil in the ICP connector

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
A scanner would help with this. You could monitor IC pressure and IPR duty cycle when it happens. It almost sounds like your HPOP reservoir runs dry, then you have to crank and crank to get it started until the reservoir refills - it runs rough until you get the air out of the system and its fine until the oil cools down again.

How many miles are on the engine? Where are you located? Do you have an oil pressure gauge? If it were me, I'd take my tools with me, take it out in the morning and when it stalls, pull the HPOP reservoir plug and check the level. If the reservoir is empty, we can start exploring why.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know its the grey since that's all I've seen. there was a lighter grey they called white but no blue, i'll try FoMoCo and see if I can find the blue. Also I did change the ICP just this last week and no change. I didn't change the plug but did clean it out with carb cleaner until it ran clean then blew it out and let it dry naturaly for a few hours before trying it and everything seemed ok for 2 days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok stupid question, I checked the HPOP before driving and the oil is old, too dark, but I read another post that talked about low oil in the HPOP causing a similar issue and that parking at an incline made a difference. When I checked the truck this morning I thought I'd check the oil and it wasn't even on the dipstick. It took 5 quarts to get it to show.....could this all have been due to low oil level and the fact that our driveway is steep as well as our street?? Like maybe I'm draining the HPOP on start up and the incline isn't letting it get any oil but once I get it flat and restarted its now getting oil ......just poking and hoping. Like I said, I don't know about diesels so I don't know anything about how some of the systems work. But after filling it up I had 1 ugly chug when it started and then it was fine, didn't die like it has been. I'm testing it early tomorrow to see if it still runs ok.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
So on flat ground you were 5-quarts low on oil?

When was the last time you checked your oil on flat ground?

When was your last oil change? Did you change it or a shop?

that much oil loss is a problem, assuming it was lost and just not properly filled to begin with.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
You found your problem for sure. The question now, like Arcticdriver stated, is where did that oil go? Assuming you started with a proper 15 quart fill and you aren't leaving Exxon Valdez stripes in the driveway, then it was burned. Turbo seals would leave a smoke cloud following the truck and your exhaust would be wet with oil. I think your wife might have mentioned that. Injector O-rings are your other culprit. A quick confirmatory test would be to pull your fuel filter and look for discoloration. Not a 100% test - you could still have bad O-rings and a dirty filter, but if you've got a black filter (another assumption here- you've been doing your maintenance and the filter isn't 15 years old) then you've got bad O-rings. Watcha doing Saturday morning?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah well neglect is absolutely the issue. she thought she didn't need to get an oil change because the date on the sticker is just coming up....except it says 2015 not 2016. miles wise she doesn't drive much, its all in town. The other thing that ticks me off is we've had it in to the dealership twice in the last 2 weeks to try to find the problem and obviously they never really checked much if the oil was that low. As for where the oil is going, there is a slight leak from the drain plug, but nothing that could let it go this low, like there is carpet under the rig for the past 4 years and the spot is maybe 8" and not wet at all. there is a bit of crud at the turbo but again, not much just black buildup on the tube connecting to it. Exhaust wise it only smokes a little when you jump on it so that's pretty normal for a chipped/programmed diesel. I'll be taking it in for a oil change and fuel filter change Saturday but in the mean time we're driving it every morning to see if it will duplicate and so far we've made 2 days without even a hesitation so.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts