The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been through the ringer with this truck. L99 7.3l. 370,xxxmi. Replaced cps, ipr, icp, hpop, injector orings, hp oil lines. I replaced all of these things but the hp oil lines(did those months ago) after my truck just died going down the road. Seemed like it ran out of fuel or oil pressure. I can get it to start after unplugging the icp while using starting fluid, then I'll plug it back in to read the icp. It reads 850-900 at a cold idle. Oil temp is about 45°F at start up. When it reaches 65-70, it will shudder and die. I'm not able to fire it up right away, has to sit for a few hours to cool. I get rpms while cranking. Icp reads great oil pressure (installed stage 2 hpop and new ipr). Oil level is perfect in the hpop res. I have the blue spring fuel regulator. I have good release pressure when opening the water drain. Filters are good. I did the injector orings thinking I had a leak there.... no change in running performance other than it was a bit quieter now. No oil leaks anywhere. No head plugs or under valve cover oil plugs are leaking. Was told it could be an internal injector blowby issue. Told if the internals are bad or going bad, once it warms up it will allow oil and fuel to blow by and not pressurize in the injectors. Also have read the the exhaust smell will change with bad injectors. I have noticed a few months back that when running in my garage, my eyes will start to burn from the fumes... never did b4 then. Any truth to that? Trying to narrow down an issue other than bad injectors to avoid a bigger cost on top of what I've already spent. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
Definitely a possibility, but watching the IC pressure when this happens should give you the information you need. If the IC pressure drops when it reaches the magical temperature and dies that points towards something in the high-pressure oil system. If the truck can't achieve 500 psi while cranking when trying to restart after it dies, that confirms it. You have actually checked the HPOP level when it won't start or right after it dies to verify the level, right? If not, check it then. A low-pressure oil pump issue could starve the HPOP when you're having issues but then get back to minimal pressures after the oil cools. You could always send the injectors in to Full Force diesel and have them bench tested.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely a possibility, but watching the IC pressure when this happens should give you the information you need. If the IC pressure drops when it reaches the magical temperature and dies that points towards something in the high-pressure oil system. If the truck can't achieve 500 psi while cranking when trying to restart after it dies, that confirms it. You have actually checked the HPOP level when it won't start or right after it dies to verify the level, right? If not, check it then. A low-pressure oil pump issue could starve the HPOP when you're having issues but then get back to minimal pressures after the oil cools. You could always send the injectors in to Full Force diesel and have them bench tested.
I have checked hpop right after shutdown and it's full.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There is an engine oil temp sensor (EOT)that screws into the HPOP. I'm no expert but sounds like it could be the problem. I had issues with the mid-temp warmup on my 02, changed all the sensors you mentioned above and then someone here told me about the EOT and problem solved. Best of all it's only $20 from Ford and 5 minutes to install, easy to give it a try. This is what fit my 02 7.3L but your's might be different. EOT Sensor DY-961 or Part # 12A648

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is an engine oil temp sensor (EOT)that screws into the HPOP. I'm no expert but sounds like it could be the problem. I had issues with the mid-temp warmup on my 02, changed all the sensors you mentioned above and then someone here told me about the EOT and problem solved. Best of all it's only $20 from Ford and 5 minutes to install, easy to give it a try. This is what fit my 02 7.3L but your's might be different. EOT Sensor DY-961 or Part # 12A648
Could be a factor. I have changed that recently also, forgot to mention that one. Still wont fire without an assist from starting fluid. Wont fire off of glow plugs and cranking. So I have to unhook the relay.

·
Super Moderator
25,356 Posts
I'm going to guess wiring connections somewhere. Possibly the IPR connector. Eyeball those closely.
And please stop using starting fluid. It's dangerous.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to guess wiring connections somewhere. Possibly the IPR connector. Eyeball those closely.
And please stop using starting fluid. It's dangerous.
I know it is. I dont use it with glow plugs ok. Only as a small jump starter. Dont use much

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
In your first post, you mentioned you unplug the ICP to start it?

What is the ICP reading at cold start if you do not unplug it? I may have missed you already reporting that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts