The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded in my 2012 F250 Lariat for a 2015 F250 King Ranch. One thing that I've noticed is the oder of the exhaust on the 2015 has more of a smell like the older non DPF diesels. The 2012 did not have the diesel exhaust oder like the 2015.

The first 1000 miles I have average 16.9 MPG running light where my 2012 average 17.6 over 29,000 miles.

What is everyone's opinion on the stronger diesel exhaust oder?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Almost 6,000 miles and do not have an ounce of diesel odor. Only thing I smell is that metal burning smell when in regen and I shut down.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
the only odor I smell is the gas I release when I open the truck door and get out lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
There were some threads a couple years back about diesel fuel odor in the cabin due to (as I recall) a loose fitting on the exhaust. Search diesel or fuel odor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect an exhaust leak between engine and the DPF, going to the dealer this coming week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Truck is in the shop for day 2 with them scratching their heads on this issue. They said they would have to email Ford on this as this is the first 2015 they've seen with this problem. I'm hoping they don't have to remove the cab to find the exhaust leak.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day 4, finally heard from the the dealer, after conferring with Ford engineering they have determined that the down pipe from the turbocharger needs to be replaced. The down pipe is on back order and they have located one in Chicago and shipping it in. I'm guessing this is a problem with the 15's.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Day 4, finally heard from the the dealer, after conferring with Ford engineering they have determined that the down pipe from the turbocharger needs to be replaced. The down pipe is on back order and they have located one in Chicago and shipping it in...
It sounds like things are headed in the right direction, JDawg. Continue to keep us in the loop; I'll be here if you need my help.

Crystal

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer called me today telling me that the replacement down pipe they received was defective and they are now looking for another replacement. Hopefully I'll have my truck back soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds like things are headed in the right direction, JDawg. Continue to keep us in the loop; I'll be here if you need my help.

Crystal
Crystal, I need your help on this issue as the dealer can't locate the necessary part to make the repair.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your help Crystal. The dealer got the part in on Thursday and said my truck won't be ready until Monday which will be the 13th day in the shop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After 13 Days in the shop, I've finally got my truck back. The Cobra pipe had a leak due to a bad weld. The transmission had to be dropped due to being unable to change out the pipe per the instructions of the Ford manual. My dealer did provide a 2014 Superduty loaner free of charge.

Hats off to Crystal for the help on this matter.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Congrats.. seems like something that would have been tough to spot during QC. Glad they found it and you got it back.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I make automotive exhaust for a living (including the entire super duty SCR / DOC / DPF system) and I can't say I'm surprised. These parts are welded extremely fast to keep costs low with the normal variation in any production process, sometimes leaky welds happen. Even though most parts are 100% leak checked before shipping, there is an acceptable leak rate for everything. In some applications a tiny leak might not be a big deal, but in this instance, it obviously caused a big problem.

Glad to see everything is taken care of now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts