The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after the new year, I will be trading in my 2002 F-250 and ordering a 2022 version. I love my diesel truck, and I do tow a 22-foot-long enclosed commercially rated car trailer. I typically tow to two or three long-distance shows a year. Put 70,000+ miles in towing on my 2002. Next year, I will be towing to the Bay Area in California, Albuquerque, and Buffalo. Since I moved my company to my house in 2016, I don't drive that much during the week, probably about 30-40 miles. I had been going regularly to San Carlos, Mexico from Tucson for the last 10 years, but I'm selling my house down there shortly, which is why I can buy a new truck.

So, I guess my question is, should I stick with the diesel engine or go back to gas? I love the sound, power, and performance of my 7.3L, but maybe I don't need that much power anymore? This likely will be the last truck I buy, so I want the right one for my needs.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you tow heavy regularly I’d get the diesel. I’m in the wrecker biz and know of a lot of people who’ve got the 7.3 gas and are very happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
658 Posts
Gas is expensive and fuel millage is not that good when towing. Personally I got the diesel because I tow. Glad I did because I have been over almost every mountain range in the country and hands down the diesel was the best choice. 30 40 mile daily drive will be ok for a diesel it's stop and go driving that isn't recommended for diesels but they still do that ok. The new 10 speed transmission is great for diesels because the say they get around 20 MPG's I think if you just drive around and dont haul much than gas would be my choice but if I haul over mountains then a diesel will beat gas every time.
The new trucks dont have that old school sound. They are quiet and smooth. You won't believe the difference in how these new trucks tow.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had a 2003 7.3 diesel and got myself a new 2020 6.7 last year. The 7.3 diesel is a great engine, but it power does not even come close to touching the 6.7. The 7.3 would tow anything I put behind it, but it struggles when compared to the 6.7. I towed my 42' 5th wheel from New Hampshire to Texas this past summer - around 14,000 lbs trailer weight. Towing is effortless with the 6.7 and mountains are no trouble at all (eastern U.S. mountains). I got about 12 mpg towing at whatever speed I wanted (usually 70-75 mph). My truck is also my daily driver, so it sees far more time unloaded than it does towing.

I don't have any experience with the new gas 7.3, but nothing has really changed in the advantages of diesel vs. gas. Diesel will always give you more power, better mileage, a much better overall towing experience, and most likely more longevity but the downside is the additional cost to purchase (almost $11,000 for the 6.7 option on a new truck), as well as more costly routine maintenance. Fuel system components (pump, injectors, etc.) are also considerably more expensive in the event of a failure. The advantages for outweigh the disadvantages for my needs, so the diesel was an easy choice for me.

I always liked the sound of the 7.3 diesel, too. The 6.7 barely sounds like a diesel. The sound is distinctively diesel, but it is much quieter.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I would expect on this site that you will get diesel as the answer, but I am tending toward the 7.3/4.30 ratio gasser early next year. I think that the weight and profile of what you tow is a big factor to consider. The 10 speed of new vs. the 4 speed of old is also a big factor...I can only imagine how a 10 speed behind my 7.3 diesel would change the experience immensely.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm heavily leaning toward diesel again. Living in Arizona, I have to tow over mountains to get to a car show in any state.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
I'm heavily leaning toward diesel again. Living in Arizona, I have to tow over mountains to get to a car show in any state.
I'm in the same boat you are as far as towing and what is best to tow things with.

My 7.3 turned 25 this past summer and I have been weighing the purchase of a new truck gas and diesel for a couple of years now. These new trucks are nothing like our 7.3's. Between not even hearing them run, not to mention hearing yourself think inside of the cab there is no comparison. However the last new truck that I popped the hood on to look inside was a 2008 6.4 and I just scratched my head as far as where anything is located at, and I know that the 6.7 isn't any better.

·
Registered
317 Posts
As you might have expected on a Diesel forum you were going to get Diesel is the answer. I asked almost the same question some time ago as my dad is considering buying a new truck and is in the same boat. I got burned up about asking about a gas motor on this forum. I have plenty OBS diesel 7.3 experience, I was just hoping someone had a company truck or knew a friend that had a gas truck and could give some feedback.
My biggest concern about these new 6.7's is how long are they really going to last compared to the old 7.3 and dare I say 6.0(properly cared for) trucks. And is it truly worth the extra money, if you do not tow over 10K regularly. As 69mach says the 10 speed is the new key element.
I have been regularly reading the posts on this site to get some feedback about the new diesel and honestly I am impressed with the power and towing capacity I hear about. Very impressive numbers. But when it comes to emissions issues seems like Ford has really dropped the ball. These parts are failing very early to me, and really adding to the cost of ownership.
I would love to get to the top of the mountain fully loaded at or above the speed limit, but at what price am I willing to pay to have that experience. 10 plus grand is a lot to lay down.
390 pony why would you "trade your 7.3 in" ? The market is so hot by me that if your truck is in decent shape and miles are decent you would be able to sell it in less than day for more money then you could ever dream.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
OP, I would check out another forum, like ford-trucks. They cover all the bases, not just diesels. This debate rages on over there as well. I am tending toward the KISS principle after participating on that site...

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
658 Posts
As you might have expected on a Diesel forum you were going to get Diesel is the answer. I asked almost the same question some time ago as my dad is considering buying a new truck and is in the same boat. I got burned up about asking about a gas motor on this forum. I have plenty OBS diesel 7.3 experience, I was just hoping someone had a company truck or knew a friend that had a gas truck and could give some feedback.
My biggest concern about these new 6.7's is how long are they really going to last compared to the old 7.3 and dare I say 6.0(properly cared for) trucks. And is it truly worth the extra money, if you do not tow over 10K regularly. As 69mach says the 10 speed is the new key element.
I have been regularly reading the posts on this site to get some feedback about the new diesel and honestly I am impressed with the power and towing capacity I hear about. Very impressive numbers. But when it comes to emissions issues seems like Ford has really dropped the ball. These parts are failing very early to me, and really adding to the cost of ownership.
I would love to get to the top of the mountain fully loaded at or above the speed limit, but at what price am I willing to pay to have that experience. 10 plus grand is a lot to lay down.
390 pony why would you "trade your 7.3 in" ? The market is so hot by me that if your truck is in decent shape and miles are decent you would be able to sell it in less than day for more money then you could ever dream.
As far asd emissions all 3 are the same. They get the parts from the same place. Even though they may look different they all do and fail the same. Mostly it's the def heater. Like any diesel maintenance is key to any motor lasting a long time. That holds true for gas motors as well. I am super pleased with my 15 6.7. Sure I would like a new truck and could afford one but I am not happy with all the driver nanny crap they put in a new truck. i don't need 50 cameras automatic braking I don't need internet in my truck. All this stuff is a waste of money so my 15 is my last truck. I don't care how much it will cost me to keep her on the road.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has 215,000 miles and will be 20 years old by the time I'm ready for the new truck. It runs well, but I am concerned since the coolant recovery tank cracked and the coolant leaked out when I was towing back from a car show in July. I was right on the border and could not leave my rig or just the trailer there ($80,000 car inside). I had 10 miles to go to my motel and decided to keep going. I was lucky since all I had to replace was the tank and the hard oil line around the engine. My mechanic said to bring it back after 2,000 miles and they will check it again and change the oil again. It got very hot. So, there is a bit of a worry there. I may test the market for selling once I see what they will offer me as a trade in.

Reactions: 1997VAstroker

·
Registered
358 Posts
Going from a 7.3 diesel to a new 7.3 gas you will be plenty pleased. However if you are highway towing more than a 3 or 4 times a year I would lean towards the 6.7. I have drove a new 7.3 shortly after they came out, it had plenty of grunt however there was noticeable throttle lag that i didn't get out of the 6.7. That's been 2 years ago and has likely been addressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shortly after the new year, I will be trading in my 2002 F-250 and ordering a 2022 version. I love my diesel truck, and I do tow a 22-foot-long enclosed commercially rated car trailer. I typically tow to two or three long-distance shows a year. Put 70,000+ miles in towing on my 2002. Next year, I will be towing to the Bay Area in California, Albuquerque, and Buffalo. Since I moved my company to my house in 2016, I don't drive that much during the week, probably about 30-40 miles. I had been going regularly to San Carlos, Mexico from Tucson for the last 10 years, but I'm selling my house down there shortly, which is why I can buy a new truck.

So, I guess my question is, should I stick with the diesel engine or go back to gas? I love the sound, power, and performance of my 7.3L, but maybe I don't need that much power anymore? This likely will be the last truck I buy, so I want the right one for my needs.
#1 = NO current Truck Diesel will ever compare w/ Reliability and available Power of that International 7.3L .... That said, unless a 6.7L Ford or the 6 cyl Cummins would be selected, you may be "stuck" with a silly turbo hooked onto a feeble 4 cylinder gas...Get a Diesel.

·
Premium Member
4,372 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
By-the-way...totally apart as to whether to Diesel or GAS'....PLEASE do be aware for those considering Purchase / Ordering of a Cab & Chassis Unit, especially whenever adding a Tow Body at Del'y...FORD de-tunes ALL DIESELS in such {"incomplete"} Units, causing the loss of ~ ~ 40 - 60 HP...."DO" buy with a pickup body ONLY and, THEN, remove same for the Wrecker Body Installation!....WE LEARNED THE HARD on our 2021.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have another question (and probably several more soon). I have a Banks Stinger Plus system on my 2002. The dealer was an authorized Banks dealer, too, so it was a no brainer. With the much higher hp and torque now, is there any reason to get that system again?

·
Registered
514 Posts
You said the new truck might be your last truck. In that case its more important to buy the truck you WANT than it is to buy the truck you NEED. At 63 I may very well own the last truck I will ever own and for me its important that it is a diesel. I probably couldn't make a logical case for owning a diesel over a gas based on the way I drive it but I simply want to own a diesel so that's what I own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: {Gas engine vs Diesel Discussion} = as the VAST majority already are aware, (1) reply DID suggest buying another? ....that former 7.3L superb Diesel by International Corp has NOT been available for many YEARS.....couldn't be made to pass the ongoing Tougher E.P.A. Rules / Regulations....6.7L / Ford plus Big '6' by Cummins are "IT" in 2022....superb "DEF Delete Kits" are essentially GONE from market, as well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have another question (and probably several more soon). I have a Banks Stinger Plus system on my 2002. The dealer was an authorized Banks dealer, too, so it was a no brainer. With the much higher hp and torque now, is there any reason to get that system again?
Good luck finding a dealer backed tuner. Also the stock 6.7 will spank the tuned 2002. I finally pulled the trigger on getting a new truck because i felt this is the first iteration had performance and reliability without having to add after market stuff to it. Even the fabled 7.3 came with a list of suggested modifications to make them bullet proof.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I ordered a 7.3 gas in May and took delivery in August. Ive very happy with my decision to go with a gas engine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts