The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Millwright,
Just because I am curious and not afraid to ask.
What trans?
What rear end?
Regular, super, or crew cab?
4x4?
How much have you towed with it and what do you think so far compared to the 2002?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Crew cab long box
4X4
10sp
4.30's
Im waiting to tow with it until I have 5K miles on it, currently I have 1100.
I still have my 2002, I really like both of them. Not getting rid of my 2002

Reactions: 1997VAstroker

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hey OP, what did you order, and did you get it yet, or still waiting?

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
My current truck is a 2012 6.7 Lariat. I will be ordering a new truck when the order banks open up for the '23s.

It will NOT be a diesel. And I have two gooseneck trailers and six bumper pull trailers that admittedly are not used regularly behind it.

The list of negatives regarding that diesel engine is long and getting longer. Will the 7.3 gas be better? I guess I will find out but I can't imagine it being worse.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Not sure what long list of bad things there is about the 6.7
But hey if you want gas then go with gas. There is a huge difference between the new 23 6.7 and the 12 6.7. It was greatly improved in 15.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Really? You sure you want a list?

Just off the top of my head -

$10,000 up front cost
Cost of fuel
DPF
DEF
Exhaust sensors
EGR
DEF heater, pump, injector
Entire extra cooling system with all the associated hardware, hoses, connections, fluid, maintenance, etc.
DRIVE TO CLEAN
Cost to do oil & filter
Intercooler and associated plumbing
Problems with turbo
Fuel filters
Tiny bit of bad fuel can cause catastrophic failure (that a gas engine wouldn't even notice)
All that extra weight to haul around
No longer easy to do a delete and / or tune
Extra expense every year due to insurance & taxes

That's just what I can think of off hand. I'm sure others can add stuff I haven't thought of.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Really? You sure you want a list?

Just off the top of my head -

$10,000 up front cost
Cost of fuel
DPF
DEF
Exhaust sensors
EGR
DEF heater, pump, injector
Entire extra cooling system with all the associated hardware, hoses, connections, fluid, maintenance, etc.
DRIVE TO CLEAN
Cost to do oil & filter
Intercooler and associated plumbing
Problems with turbo
Fuel filters
Tiny bit of bad fuel can cause catastrophic failure (that a gas engine wouldn't even notice)
All that extra weight to haul around
No longer easy to do a delete and / or tune
Extra expense every year due to insurance & taxes

That's just what I can think of off hand. I'm sure others can add stuff I haven't thought of.
Then get the gas but I will tell you one thing that the only thing you listed that is a issue is the DEF heater whick has failed on almost every truck out there. Other than that the system works fine. The newer the truck the better the system got. As for drive to clean, if you drive around town BAD for any diesel.
Sure it may be moer expensive to have a diesel but if you tow with your truck then you will want a diesel because gas only gets around 6 to 8 MPG's where I get a solid 11. It sounds like you can't afford the diesel so get a gas truck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, bless your heart! I'm so glad you are concerned about my financial situation!

Let's run your numbers, shall we? Around here gas is averaging 5.14 and diesel is averaging 6.00. Using your mileage figures a diesel will save you 18 cents a mile while using a trailer. The average diesel pick up truck owner spends how many miles hooked to a trailer? At 5000 miles per year you will save $900. 10,000 miles $1800. How long is it going to take you to recoup that initial outlay? Don't forget to add in the additional costs outlined in my list. Not to mention the opportunity cost associated with the $10,000. you lost when buying the diesel in the first place.

I would bet the AVERAGE pick up truck owner spends much fewer miles actually hooked to a trailer large enough to significantly affect mileage.

I can't afford a diesel? Dang, guess I better go tell the other 16 diesels I have on the place I can't afford them....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Okay guys, nothing new here. You either need a diesel or you don't. If I towed heavy a lot, I would have considered another diesel, but I don't. You have to pay to play.
I do have the new 7.3 w/4.30s on order. Now if I could squeeze the 10 speed into my Y2k, the only issue would be the noise level...people nowadays freak out on the old 7.3, wimps!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wife & I have reached the age where most of our travel trailer towing trips nowadays are no more than five hours to a campsite in civilized country now.
No more eight & ten hours pulls one way. (Some of us Texans will drive 40 miles for a good cup of coffee).

We love our 2002 diesel. May be buried in it!

However for us, if we ever buy a new truck, it will probably be the 7.3L gas engine. Mainly for its simplicity and less maintenance costs.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
After several tow trips with the 6.7 I would be disappointed with the 7.3. Sure the 7.3 is a good engine, but 800 pounds of torque, and now 1050 with the new one, would sorely be missed.

Reactions: Stroking it
21 - 32 of 32 Posts