The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of your diesels are toys for hunting, fishing or racing? I personally use mine to drive down the beaches in Texas for a little seclusion and good fishing with my family.

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
Excellent!!!!

Now we are at least equal to the dodge guys we have a racing modification section where we can discuss racing modifications and totally off road items.

For instance my former Excursion had an intake system and exhaust from Mark Craig and a go fast box from Dennis Perry. Wanting to test it out I took a FORD mechanic with me and the WDS computer installed to get readings.

The test was done at a NASA facility that is several miles long in Florida that I have access to. We strapped in and took it up to 138-140 mph, and I can say that either the tires or the drive shaft went seriously out of balance above 120 with severe vibration.

I don't think I'd do this again with stock tires, I think the tires went out of round at that speed but it could have been the drive shaft. The excursion was also light in the steering at that speed but actually very firm at 100 and still reasonably firm at 120 but from there up it was bad.

WDS readings showed cylinder imbalance at full power and also showed boost pressures were stable to about 100 then began to climb.

Ran with EGR connected and not connected, no difference? With EGR connected the FORD guy noticed that even at cruising speed the EGR was full open when it should not have been.

His opinion is that with the additional fuel and timing there was additional CO and the EGR was trying to compensate by opening further.

Even off road, and strapped in, I suspect that a blown tire may have been a not good situation and I really don't recommend this. It was sort of cool. The Ford guy loved it!

I seriously wonder how much power a 6.0 can actually make and not eventually blow a head or head gasket? Factoring in the the frontal area of the EX and C/drag and 140 mph we were using close to 400 HP to the rear wheels. Even by conservative standards of mechanical friction loss and auto tranny loss we were probably making about 450 crank HP and that is a lot out of a stock 360 CI engine.

One more thing, a lot of black smoke coming out!

In honesty I do not drive like this on the street, 80 max is about it.

Too bad the Excursion is not available any more and too bad it doesn't have the 6.4, it would be a monster. The Expedition XL isn't even close.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 96 ford f350 is for racing and hunting.

I work for a company that manufactures Cummins , Detroit, and 2 other name brands, I,m working on something to see if i can make some of the parts to work with my truck, so I'll post any good findings.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Cool we finally have an Off Road section!

·
Registered
462 Posts
My S D is mainly for driving and hauling feed and livestock. If you see a small puff of smoke as I shake hands through the gears, then I am racing. I feel like I paid too much for this truck to mod it up, tear it up, and turn it into a 6.0 leaker. Besides, 6 speeds don't make very good racers anyway.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I personally use mine to drive down the beaches in Texas for a little seclusion and good fishing with my family.
We're probably out on the same beaches. I love getting out on Padre Island closer to the evening. After a point, it's almost like a private beach. I carry a tow strap with me. Not so much for me but for the driver of the 2x4 that had a bit too much confidence and went too far.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I use mine for fishing, like to back up to the lake n use the stake holes to hold rod. Also do some mild mudding with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use my PSD as a daily driver during the week and the weekend I race it up and down the sand dunes in Mexico, Buttercup and Glamis. I love toying with the gas guys who think they're fast till they see me blow smoke by them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey I've been down to Padre Island many times. Been stuck a few too. Haha. Last year we took an Explorer 4x4 down and sank up in the sand just trying to get to the beach haha. Never had a problem in my truck. Try to drive down there once a year or so since we have family down there, quite a drive, 23 hours straight thru. Maybe we'll see yall down there sometime!

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I use my Kubota UTV 900 3 cylinder diesel for all of my off road adventures. Best little hunting rig ever. Got a 5000 lb. Ramsey winch, enclosed cab, dump bed, etc. You can see it on my webpics.

My SD gets it's workout every winter bucking snow as we have a 1/2 mile driveway, uphill, that keeps the 4 wheel drive lubed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Built out my truck for the texas gulf coast, but to get to surfing spots, not fishing. Also has a 1500 mile range on veggie oil for cheap mexico trips.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine use to be for fishing and Hunting in the Galveston and texas coast area .Now it is built just for fun in the Mud.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mine is used mainly for dragging the boat around for fishing and river running. The boat happens to be a diesel powered aluminum jetboat. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
i've had mine off road a handful of times, muddin here n there, a couple hunting trips around the midwest. lately though it's been tearing up the streets in San Diego, havent been to the stoplight drags yet, just a couple nights of spewing smoke infront of Honda's and Mitsubishi's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use mine for everything, hunting, fishing, pulling the boat, hauling wood, mudding, riding the sand dunes, sometimes racing, and to carry me back and forth to work. My truck does it all and does it better then any other truck iv had.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
mine would rather be on the trail then on the road.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I use mine for everything fishing, hunting lot of mudding and trail riding. I try to race but shes not very fast just a old 6.9 with the 4 speeder. She does good though.

·
Banned
168 Posts
the majority of the time mine is a street queen. but every now and again i go out and beat the piss out of her off road..

here is a vid we took of my truck and my co-workers 6.0 at the local sand dunes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts