The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a difference internally between the old style FL-1995 and the new FL 1995-A?

I saw a good sale price on the web for the FL 1995’s which is what I’ve been using but now when entering year, model, engine - it says does not fit your vehicle. All the new ones at Walmart are now the 1995-A’s Thanks!

Product Drink Font Material property Packaging and labeling

· Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
The A filters have been out long enough I doubt that you will find a actual 1995 filter unless someone has a hord of new old stock ones.

I've been using the A version for a couple years now with no problems

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Big Horn

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a difference internally between the old style FL-1995 and the new FL 1995-A?

I saw a good sale price on the web for the FL 1995’s which is what I’ve been using but now when entering year, model, engine - it says does not fit your vehicle. All the new ones at Walmart are now the 1995-A’s Thanks!

View attachment 186977
Internally, I have not disassembled both the older FL1995 and its newer Rendition to inspect the internals. However, I have comparative Blackstone oil tests that indicate that in my unit there is negligible difference in the filtration performance of the two 1995 versions.
In some data bases when one part is upgraded its preceeding number is deleted, vehicle specific searches won't see it and they default to " part does not fit vehicle " when asked to match.

Reactions: Big Horn

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I went ahead and ordered four of them at $9.44 each and free shipping. Lower than Walmart’s price.....be interesting to see which ones arrive.

I’ve also been trying to find a Shell rebate on Rotella T-6 5W40 but it doesn’t look like there’s any promotions right now. Anyone else came across any current rebates? Thanks!!

· Administrator
24,985 Posts
Glenn
I saw your Amazon Link and it confirmed it fits my 1999 7.3L
Ordered 2 of them.
Thanks for the heads up. I've had to go to a couple different WalMarts to find them in stock the last time I needed to do an oil change.

· Premium Member
15,491 Posts
Be real careful with “genuine Motorcraft” parts on Amazon. Most are counterfeit. Ford Makuloko (sp?) has a great YouTube video on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
I agree with RT on them from Amazon, way too many counterfeit parts showing up on it.

When you get that package make sure that all the spelling is correct on what is printed on the box. Spelling isn't one of their strong points.

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spelling isn't one of their strong points.

I’ll give an update once they’re received, I have recently ordered and received Baldwin filters and Mobil 1 ATF off of Amazon and all has been well. All of my previous problems with counterfeit parts has been through EBay.

Reactions: olddieseldude

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to call Amazon later today. The advertising is Motorcrafts, but after looking over the specifications page it says (made in China)

I Googled Motorcraft oil filters and appears they’re made in North Carolina (Ill post back what I find out)

Liquid Product Fluid Font Material property
Font Material property Parallel Electric blue Screenshot
Font Parallel Circle Number Document

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be real careful with “genuine Motorcraft” parts on Amazon. Most are counterfeit. Ford Makuloko (sp?) has a great YouTube video on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you RT

I agree with RT on them from Amazon, way too many counterfeit parts showing up on it.

When you get that package make sure that all the spelling is correct on what is printed on the box. Spelling isn't one of their strong points.

Thanks bugman, prompted me to dig a little deeper, looks authentic until getting to specs. Sorry klhansen, I should have looked deeper, it looked genuine.

Here’s the screenshots of my conversation with Amazon:

Azure Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Electric blue
Product Azure Font Screenshot Technology
Product Azure Font Screenshot Number
Azure Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Rectangle
Product Azure Font Screenshot Number

· Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
I went and looked at the box on a 1995-A box and it says that they are made with mostly components made in the USA

· Premium Member
15,491 Posts
I always wonder if that means the box was made in the USA or the actual part...

Reactions: bugman

· Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
I'll have to go scan thar code and see what comes up

· Administrator
24,985 Posts
"MAJORITY CONTENT" would mean it would have to be more than just the box made in the US. What foreign source components - who knows? The actual filtration material? I'm assuming that Ford did QC on the assembled part at least.

I just looked at the Q&A for the item on Amazon and found this:
Font Number Screenshot Rectangle Document

Who to believe? That was from over 2 years ago,

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
The way I interpret the available online information is that the MotorCraft filters are made by Purolater of North Carolina. However, information on Purolator indicates that they make filtration products for or in many countries. In today's world there are many cross bred products. Made in the US as others have noted doesn't necessarily mean designed, specified, inspected, assembled or even sold in the US.
It's simple, the price of FL1995 filters has remained stable for more than 20 years. Yet inflation has marched on yearly, the only way that happens is mature markets with high consumption saturation and a cheaper than original manufacturing process, typically moving some process off USA.
We all know this but how important is it in this case? It's resultant part quality effectiveness that matters most. Does any reader have any test data that supports an opinion that the offshore 1995's are under performing? That, would be helpful.
Other choices, buy filtration form other sources of proven USA products and expect to pay more that Amazon or Wal-Mart prices.
I would recommend that a user run an oil change cycle with the filter and get their oil tested. High test result silicon would be an indicator of poor filtration of oil and or air filter. Make a data driven decision based on testing.
If I had test data indicating that the current 1995 underperforms I would just pay more for another filtration product. Of all the price -value choices I have faced with this truck oil filters are pretty cheap, even the non-Motorcraft.
The data I have from Blackstone testing, with an AIS air filter, indictates that there is negligible performance difference when the latest FL1995 to Filtration going back almost 20 years.

· Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
I think that the problem is that there might be a source for a version of a filter that has been out of production for a couple of years now that was replaced by the A version in current production.

There was a pretty good discussion on the two versions over on the Org

Reactions: 1999f-250superduty

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found this from another forum from a year ago:

The way I interpret the available online information is that the MotorCraft filters are made by Purolater of North Carolina. However, information on Purolator indicates that they make filtration products for or in many countries. In today's world there are many cross bred products. Made in the US as others have noted doesn't necessarily mean designed, specified, inspected, assembled or even sold in the US.
It's simple, the price of FL1995 filters has remained stable for more than 20 years. Yet inflation has marched on yearly, the only way that happens is mature markets with high consumption saturation and a cheaper than original manufacturing process, typically moving some process off USA.
We all know this but how important is it in this case? It's resultant part quality effectiveness that matters most. Does any reader have any test data that supports an opinion that the offshore 1995's are under performing? That, would be helpful.
Other choices, buy filtration form other sources of proven USA products and expect to pay more that Amazon or Wal-Mart prices.
I would recommend that a user run an oil change cycle with the filter and get their oil tested. High test result silicon would be an indicator of poor filtration of oil and or air filter. Make a data driven decision based on testing.
If I had test data indicating that the current 1995 underperforms I would just pay more for another filtration product. Of all the price -value choices I have faced with this truck oil filters are pretty cheap, even the non-Motorcraft.
The data I have from Blackstone testing, with an AIS air filter, indictates that there is negligible performance difference when the latest FL1995 to Filtration going back almost 20 years.
Oneof6, my intent is to return for a refund, supposedly it already shipped and arrives today. I wish I knew more about the oil system and whether it’s worth the gamble to run one, and do a sample through Blackstone to verify filtration. My concern is not just the old versus new style but will the counterfeit function correctly.
Am I correct that the oil filter base on our trucks has a built in bypass, that should the filter become restricted, oil is still routed through the engine around the filter?
And I guess another issue is that our oil is pumped to the HPOP to be used for the HEUI injectors.
Thank you for your thoughts- Glenn

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I found this from another forum from a year ago:

Oneof6, my intent is to return for a refund, supposedly it already shipped and arrives today. I wish I knew more about the oil system and whether it’s worth the gamble to run one, and do a sample through Blackstone to verify filtration. My concern is not just the old versus new style but will the counterfeit function correctly.
Am I correct that the oil filter base on our trucks has a built in bypass, that should the filter become restricted, oil is still routed through the engine around the filter?
And I guess another issue is that our oil is pumped to the HPOP to be used for the HEUI injectors.
Thank you for your thoughts- Glenn
Glenn

OK, a goal of mine is to feel good about my unit and enjoy it, especially tinkering with it. I recommend that practice. If a practice makes one more comfortable, that's what they should do.
For me on this subject FL1995 vs FL1995-A filter element for me to be comfortable with my practice it takes data. I have a massive Excel file with event and mileage logging of every maintenance, repair and modification done on my unit dance new, now 20+ YO.
Since new in April 2002 I have used a non-oem filter once, have only used Rotella 15w40 oil, performed every oil change myself and change oil and filter on average every 4000 miles. In 268K miles, with biannual oil testing if not more often, that's a lot of changes, and data.
Of the categories which would indicate poor air and or oil filtration, primarily silicon, my unit is unusually low, always has been and has not changed as the MotorCraft filters have transitioned from FL1995 to FL1995-A, which is the Ford part # with the "-B " suffix.
That's enough data in parallel with successful operation, to satisfy both my occupational sense of mechanical order and pernickity personality.
The practice I use may not satisfy others, and that's OK. Everyone should enjoy their unit their way. I hope that my testimonial will help some be comfortable and confident. I have posted oil testing data before so unless requested I won't do it every time this comes up.
If it doesn't quite achieve that comfort level for other users I hope that all users will begin to get there by record keeping and regular oil testing of whatever they do use. But we should all have fun with it.

Jim

Reactions: 1999f-250superduty

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK everyone, I logged into Amazon, selected the most recent delivery (we weren’t home), selected return delivery, under options I chose item misidentified, under comments wrote that specs. said made in China.
They gave me an option of dropping off the item to a UPS store (zero dollars) and they package, label, and return. They provided me a code to show at the UPS counter, then after Amazon receives I will receive my refund......below is the screen shot. Have will have to drive maybe 25 miles round trip but worth not having the worry. Hope this helps someone......I haven’t done Amazon returns before. 👍

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

· Administrator
24,985 Posts
I received two of these filter just today from Amazon via UPS and opened the package to discover that they were FL-1995-A filters. They appear to be genuine, with the same markings on the box as posted above.

The datamatrix code also is correct and comes up with the part number and UPC. The filter itself has a stick-on label. The bottom of the filter can has a date code 081122F1 with 815689 (part of the UPC) and a time code of 0 8:56 below that. These are etched in the paint and fairly faint.
I believe these are genuine Motorcraft filters. I have a hard time believing a counterfeiter would go to that much trouble.

I'm inclined to believe that the Made in China notation by Amazon is wrong. It's not the first time that Amazon has put out incorrect information.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts