The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1999 ford f250
157 Posts
@klhansen I 100% agree
I have a genuine motorcraft fl-1995-A I can post pics of if it will help someone out.
I also have an original fl-1995 from 99 or 2000 too. 🙂👍🏻

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I received two of these filter just today from Amazon via UPS and opened the package to discover that they were FL-1995-A filters. They appear to be genuine, with the same markings on the box as posted above.

The datamatrix code also is correct and comes up with the part number and UPC. The filter itself has a stick-on label. The bottom of the filter can has a date code 081122F1 with 815689 (part of the UPC) and a time code of 0 8:56 below that. These are etched in the paint and fairly faint.
I believe these are genuine Motorcraft filters. I have a hard time believing a counterfeiter would go to that much trouble.

I'm inclined to believe that the Made in China notation by Amazon is wrong. It's not the first time that Amazon has put out incorrect information.
Thanks Kevin, they’re in the trunk of my car - I’ll check mine out. The other thing I was surprised in (due to made in China claim) was the speed of delivery, but I suppose that depends on sellers location as they were listed as an Amazon “Best Seller” 🤷‍♂️

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@klhansen I 100% agree
I have a genuine motorcraft fl-1995-A I can post pics of if it will help someone out.
I also have an original fl-1995 from 99 or 2000 too. 🙂👍🏻
I think a picture of the “originals” out of the box would be a good idea for the thread👍 I have my originals also and now my curiosity is peaked again🤣

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have just been reading over on other sights now, about Motorcraft filters previously made by Purolator, and Purolator selling 50% of their share to another Company, manufacturing in other Countries and the “outsourcing!” How deep does the rabbit hole go?🤣

Reactions: 1999f-250superduty

· Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I received two of these filter just today from Amazon via UPS and opened the package to discover that they were FL-1995-A filters. They appear to be genuine, with the same markings on the box as posted above.

The datamatrix code also is correct and comes up with the part number and UPC. The filter itself has a stick-on label. The bottom of the filter can has a date code 081122F1 with 815689 (part of the UPC) and a time code of 0 8:56 below that. These are etched in the paint and fairly faint.
I believe these are genuine Motorcraft filters. I have a hard time believing a counterfeiter would go to that much trouble.

I'm inclined to believe that the Made in China notation by Amazon is wrong. It's not the first time that Amazon has put out incorrect information.
I have looked at FL1995-A filters at O'Reilly, Wal-Mart and Tractor Supply, all have the same light printing labels, compared to the older FL1995, and boxes.
Earlier this year when filters and Rotella was hard to find I bought future oil change oil and filters when I found them wherever I found it. I also think, for this particular part that they are OEM and the cartons and filter paint lettering are common across vendors including Amazon.

· Premium Member
15,491 Posts
I think I'll be switching to WIX from now on. In reference to the lengths forgers will go - you'd be surprised. With today's technology, printing boxes and labels are not hard. China has a whole industry of buying one authentic item and then duplicating it a million times at a lower price. Look at the predator engine line at Harbor freight. They are Honda clones. I've had to rebuild one that threw a rod and the genuine Honda parts fit perfectly.

· Registered
9 Posts

I went ahead and ordered four of them at $9.44 each and free shipping. Lower than Walmart’s price.....be interesting to see which ones arrive.

I’ve also been trying to find a Shell rebate on Rotella T-6 5W40 but it doesn’t look like there’s any promotions right now. Anyone else came across any current rebates? Thanks!!
The ONLY place I have even seen T6 it was $50 per gallon.

· Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a difference internally between the old style FL-1995 and the new FL 1995-A?

I saw a good sale price on the web for the FL 1995’s which is what I’ve been using but now when entering year, model, engine - it says does not fit your vehicle. All the new ones at Walmart are now the 1995-A’s Thanks!

View attachment 186977
ones shorter i t

· Registered
19 Posts
...I’ve also been trying to find a Shell rebate on Rotella T-6 5W40 but it doesn’t look like there’s any promotions right now. Anyone else came across any current rebates? Thanks!!
Best price (after rebate) I found was at Menards, if you have access (live near or traveling by a store), $24.02. Just bought five gal. Still, ouch.

· Administrator
24,991 Posts
ones shorter i t
I don't think so.
I have an FL1995 on my truck now ( I believe) and I'll compare it with the 1995A when I do my next oil change to confirm.

On the box below the picture of the filter, there is some tiny printing that I couldn't read even with a magnifier. The colors bled together making the text fuzzy. I just shot a picture of it and it reads "Image may not represent actual filter" and in French and Spanish also.
Font Beige Pattern Wood Circle

· Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
Kevin has the same stuff written on his 1995-a box as what I have on mine from Walmart:

I'll edit this post with my phone and add 6 or more picture of what is on the box. Sorry some are sideways or upside down

· Registered
1999 ford f250
157 Posts
Ok here are the pics
The fram I threw in just for fun I bought it back at the peak of the pandemic I couldn't find any other brand but couldn't bring myself to use it.
Tableware Drinkware Cup Liquid Fluid
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Hubcap
fl-1995⬆
Water Liquid Automotive tire Drinkware Fluid
fl-1995-a⬆
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Font Material property Recipe Menu Chemical compound

Tin Liquid Fluid Cylinder Gas

· Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Got my filters. As everyone has pointed out, differences in material between the old FL1995 and the FL 1995-A is obvious.
Not so with the FL 1995A from Walmart and the FL1996A from Amazon. Material color, size, diameter (with slide calipers), and even markings from the dies in forming the steel.

The one difference I found was the printing and time stamp on the end. The filter from Walmart, the font size was uniform and the time stamp was uniform and the #9 looked correct.
The filter from Amazon, the font size looks uneven to me, and time stamp looks off, with one of the numbers looking distorted (either a 5 or upside down 6. But if it’s a counterfeit they went to a lot of trouble to be as exact as they could.
Dishware Serveware Plate Table Gas

Below - Walmart time stamp 10:24
Brown Handwriting Grey Font Writing

Below - Amazon time stamp ????
Brown Grey Font Writing Cloud

Attachments

· Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
I looked at one of my Walmart 1995-a filters and while the minutes are slightly crooked they aren't backwards or upside down.

Since this is a machine stamp I wonder how one be backwards or upside down?

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
Nick, I am sure that the new 1995-A filter meets all of Fords specifications as far as the micron rating and the GPM among other ratings.

The problem come up when there are counterfeit 1995 and 1995-A filters out there on the WWW that are being sold for much less than the factory ones.

8,791 Posts
Bugman, I am sure that they do meet Ford’s specifications. The bra counters don’t let them boys set better or best specifications

Something things for all to consider:
Engine and vehicle manufacturers do not buy the best filters.
Contracts are signed for a given amount of them, then it’s up for rebidding of contract.
If a $25 filter has better specs than a $10 filter… Do the math per day for length of time it will be on your engine. Is it worth that amount to have the better filter?

· Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Nick, I am sure that the new 1995-A filter meets all of Fords specifications as far as the micron rating and the GPM among other ratings.

The problem come up when there are counterfeit 1995 and 1995-A filters out there on the WWW that are being sold for much less than the factory ones.
Bugman
Ford, like many OEM's specifies that all Motorcraft spin on ftrrs meet SAE USCAR-36 as a minimim standard, not an absolute.
Filtration is a manufacturing compromise; a media filtration % restriction of 100% is a blockage. Consequently, manufacturers select a filtration media rating < 100% with intended compromise, micron rating low enough to filter acceptably for the service but not plug and force bypass too early in their recommended oil change miles/time schedule.
There are filter manufacturers with very tight filtration media micron numbers, like AMSOIL and even FRAM. Not necessarily a good thing, especially in a diesel engine. One could, by excessive filtration %, screen out important additives. Again the compromise.
So how is the average user to sort out what to use? Best way is to use a product approved by the OEM and in parallel proven by actual service in thousands, if not millions, of users. The Motorcraft FL1995-A meets that description.
As a back up, users should get regular oil testing; from silicon, iron and insoluables one can make a data quantified decision on many important things regarding oil and air filtration performance.
This "Counterfit" scenario of FL1995-A filters has not been proven. It's a Boogy Man so far.
In the last year I have purchased the FL1995-A from 3 different places, Wallmart, O'Reilly and Tractor Supply, all the same. I still have 7 on my shop shelf. I am satisfied. Were I someone that was not I would do this; go to an official Ford Dealership and buy a FL1995-A over the counter, then go to Wallmart buy and compare FL1995-A Filters and boxes. Then if there is any doubt just buy filters from the Dealership.

· Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
From what I have seen with other automotive products is that you usually don't have to worry very much about counterfeit products from brick and moter stores. But you should watch what you purchase online from places like Amazon and Ebay where you are looking for a cheaper price.

There have been documented cases of counterfeit sensors, glow plugs, relays, and other automotive products. The giveaway is usually misspellings on the products packaging or perhaps a number that is upside down or backwards such as what Big Horn posted.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1999f-250superduty

· Registered
791 Posts
I don't see that number as upside down or backwards, It's a 6 just like the other one, but those last 3 digits are pretty crowded. I wonder what the process is to put them on there and how they could get squished together like that. They don't look stamped...maybe lazer?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts