The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys, can some one explain me if there is any difference between a PowerStroke 7.3 that we have in the SuperDuty F250/350's and The International T444E Engine in the International Tow Trucks?

I know the intercooler and Turbo's are a bit different but the basic engine is that the same ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Banned
6,292 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hello Guys, can some one explain me if there is any difference between a PowerStroke 7.3 that we have in the SuperDuty F250/350's and The International T444E Engine in the International Tow Trucks?

I know the intercooler and Turbo's are a bit different but the basic engine is that the same ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm real sure the long block is exactly the same. Just do a search, it has been discussed several times.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
... can some one explain me if there is any difference between a PowerStroke 7.3 that we have in the SuperDuty F250/350's and The International T444E Engine in the International Tow Trucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same basic internals, built at the same time on the same assembly line, 444 CI = ~7.3L

Differences include:

[*] Paint. The block for a PSD was blue, and the block for a T444E was black.

[*] PCM. The powertrain control modules were located different and programmed different. The PSD was programmed for a pickup, with higher horsepower and higher RPM.

[*] Fuel filter. PSD fuel filter housing was much shorter so you could close the hood on a pickup.

[*] Coolant filter. For several years, the T444E had a coolant filter installed on the assembly line, and the PSD did not. Somebody said they don't do that anymore.

[*] Water pump. Different water pump, heater, and engine cooling system results is a different coolant specified for the PSD.

Ford doesn't currently install the 7.3L PSD in any vehicles sold in North America, but they still sell them in some places, including Australia. The T444E is still a current option in some International models.

·
Premium Member
5,972 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[*] Paint. The block for a PSD was blue, and the block for a T444E was black.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't you mean the paint for a T444E was blue and the Power Stroke black?

Note on the water pump: The differences were the addition of a coolant filter and the inlet on the right (passenger) side of the pump for the International water pump. By the way, the International water pump can be installed on a Power Stroke and is a popular replacement on the '94-'97 Power Strokes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The T444E also still uses(used) a mechanical fuel pump and thus used a different camshaft with an additional lobe for the fuel pump.

Also, some of the various sensors are different due to the Ford vs. International wiring harnesses.

Cheers from Orlando, FL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dave

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you mean the paint for a T444E was blue and the Power Stroke black?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be. My last plant tour was 5 years ago, and my memory doesn't last that long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But Ford is "Big Blue", so the block should be blue, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
5,972 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
What about the single shot injectors?

[/ QUOTE ]
Both the T444E and Power Stroke used single shot (Standard AA Body Code) injectors until the '97/'99 model year. From '99 on, all injectors were Split Shot (AB & AD Body Code; AB replaced AA on SN 4601095, AD replaced AB on SN 843990), unless they were the High Output (AC Body Code).

Cheers from Orlando, FL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dave

·
Banned
4,764 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[*] Coolant filter. For several years, the T444E had a coolant filter installed on the assembly line, and the PSD did not. Somebody said they don't do that anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it. International quit using the SCA cartridge (coolant filter) in July of 2000 when they approved and recommended ELC coolants in all 2/2/99-up engines (SN 940614). ELC coolants do not need the addition of SCA. International even designed a water pump cover and seal to eliminate the filter when converting older engines to ELC coolant (PN 1836958C1 and 1833668C1).

The primary purpose of the SCA cartridge was not necessarily to function as a "filter", but to provide a means of automatically maintaining the SCA protection of the conventional silicate-containing coolant. The SCA cartridge slowly released SCA based on the amount of volume of coolant circulated through the cartridge. The fact it functioned as a filter was a bonus.

[ QUOTE ]
[*] Water pump. Different water pump, heater, and engine cooling system results is a different coolant specified for the PSD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford specifications are light-duty, either as their conventional Green silicate-containing ESE-M97B44-A spec or their one-size-fits-all hybrid Gold silicate-containing WSS-M97B51-A1 spec. International specifies a more robust silicate-free heavy-duty coolant specifically made for diesels (like the Texaco ELC, Rotella ELC, and their Fleetrite-labeled ELC).

Ford has always marketed their own coolant specs. And they have always designed the vehicle's cooling system around the engine, not their coolant. International supplied the water pump on the PSD and International supplied the engine to all kinds of applications with all kinds of cooling system alloys (industrial, commercial, transit, marine, generation, marine, coach, etc.).

[ QUOTE ]
[*]PCM...The PSD was programmed for a pickup, with higher horsepower and higher RPM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. The T444E marine application will have the higher hp (300) and higher operating RPM (3800).

There are other physical differences between the engines depending on their application. For example the marine engine will have a different manifold, different compression ratio, different injectors, a higher flow Rexroth pump, and a different pan.

·
Registered
152 Posts
does this mean one can replace the 7.3 with a T444E???

not have followed this or any other thread on the subject. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Banned
6,292 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
does this mean one can replace the 7.3 with a T444E???

not have followed this or any other thread on the subject. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A Power Stroke IS a T444E, with some changes as noted above.

·
Registered
470 Posts
using a t444e in marine applications was stretching it wayyyyyy beyond it design. i'v never even seen one or even who was marketing it (mercruser, volvo?) but i'v heard horror stories of rocker arms desintegrating from the sustained high rpm. it can spin at 2000 rpm all day long in a truck, but 3800 for hours on end at full boost in a boat, its just asking for trouble.

·
Banned
4,764 Posts
They were marketed by Mercruiser as the 7.3L D-tronic. They were actually a great marine engine with excellent performance. Their reduced compression ratio and boost helped keep them long-lived. Their only drawback was weight, especially in twin engine applications. I worked on a few boats that had them. Never saw any rocker arm problems. Although the engine was certainly capable of safely sustaining full boost and 3800 rpm all day long all season long, most operators ran the engine at maximum efficiency or torque.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys. My 2001 psd has a cracked cylinder on #8.
I have a cheap option of picking up a 99' t444e from a friend at a bus yard.

As far as I know all of my other components still work. I have been reading and
I don't see any clear answers.

Can I buy this motor and put it in my truck? Some answers have said yes you can and others answers have said no the cam is different the internals are
Designed to run at only 2800 rpm while our trucks are designed with at 3200 rpm.

Someone help me please!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
25,406 Posts
Hey guys. My 2001 psd has a cracked cylinder on #8.
I have a cheap option of picking up a 99' t444e from a friend at a bus yard.

As far as I know all of my other components still work. I have been reading and
I don't see any clear answers.

Can I buy this motor and put it in my truck? Some answers have said yes you can and others answers have said no the cam is different the internals are
Designed to run at only 2800 rpm while our trucks are designed with at 3200 rpm.

Someone help me please!

Thanks!
It's not going to be a drop in, because the oil cooler is positioned lower on the T444E, according to what I was told at the International shop here. The front cover is Ford specific, as well as the connection of the oil cooler to the front cover (International gasket won't work on a Ford). I was told that it was done for clearance to the front crossmember.

I'm guessing you'd have to swap the front cover and oil cooler off the 7.3L to the T444E for it to fit. A PITA because you have to remove and reseal the oil pan to do that. Otherwise, it should be the same.

The rpm difference is because of PCM programming. International runs them less aggressively than Ford does.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I would look closely at the rear of the engine. I have only seen one T444E (F650) and the starter was enormous and it was mated to a Fuller transmission. I though the bellhousing area was different. It may not be but definitely look closely at that.

·
Super Moderator
25,406 Posts
I would look closely at the rear of the engine. I have only seen one T444E (F650) and the starter was enormous and it was mated to a Fuller transmission. I though the bellhousing area was different. It may not be but definitely look closely at that.
I'm gonna guess that the block is the same. The starter mounts on a plate or adapter between the block and the bellhousing, which probably takes care of the difference between a 4R100 or ZF-6 and a Fuller tranny.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm gonna guess that the block is the same. The starter mounts on a plate or adapter between the block and the bellhousing, which probably takes care of the difference between a 4R100 or ZF-6 and a Fuller tranny.
That's kind of what I was thinking but the bell housing bolts do go into the block. Didn't pay attention to it that much but thought it was worth mentioning anyways.

·
Registered
652 Posts
There was a high speed and a low speed headgasket. The high speed gets a thicker headgasket, the low speed thinner. There was a service message about this at one point. IIRC, the pistons would smack the heads if you put a low speed headgasket in a high speed application.

·
Registered
879 Posts
There was a high speed and a low speed headgasket. The high speed gets a thicker headgasket, the low speed thinner. There was a service message about this at one point. IIRC, the pistons would smack the heads if you put a low speed headgasket in a high speed application.
Ive been told the same thing in an old diesel class. However when I looked at a F650/750 workshop manual the compression ratio was same as a 250/350. But I do remember the lower RPM range when driving the F650. So im not positive anymore about what I was told.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts