The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Most of my friends that drive big rigs say to try fuel from a Flying-J truck stop. I have not tried any yet so I cant comment but I am sure Hammer will chime in.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

FOMOGO

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say in almost 50K miles I have used Flying J (even driving 100 mi RT to get fuel when the prices were lower) for all but around 10 tank fulls and have only filled up or gotten fuel from a non truck type stop like two or three times one being at MCRD in San Diego.

Larry, keeper of the <font color="red"> New revised </font><font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HEREhttp://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1173329&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
That's why I use Stanadyne religiously. With my old GMC I experienced numerous problems with water, contaminates, and lubricity issues. After I learned about additives and changes in diesel fuel over the last 10-20 years I decided I would'nt run without it. I've been adding it to every tank in my Ford since day one and my filter is always spotless at changes and I've never had any moisture either. I've used diesel from some really questionable places in the middle of nowhere and to date NO PROBLEMS! bOOmer

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with b00mer. I have been using Stanadyne since 4K (I now have 55K), and have had no fuel issues. I just got off a 1 month experiment of not using the additive, and I noticed a marked difference in the way the engine ran. It was a long month, and I finally got a new case. BTW, Shell has been the only station that shows a C rating of 45 min for their premium fuel. All other I have been to that list their fuel as premuim but show their C rating as 40 min.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
In any given area all the fuel comes from the same tanks at the same terminals whether it is #2 heating, red dyed for non-taxed off road, or headed for your favorite local dealer. We've had posters here that hauled the stuff and explained there is no "brand" difference, except possibly in the additive package that is added (to diesel fuel) to the truck when loading for delivery to whichever retailer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is NOT true. BP/Amoco have their own pipelines. If you get TRUE Amoco Fuel it's not out of the same pipelines as the other stations. In N. Va the Amoco fuels come out of Richmond BP tank farm. All the other fuels come from the Fairfax Texeco Tank Farm or the Lorton, Exxon tank farm. BP/Amoco only sell there Amoco fuel to the BP/Amoco stations.

This is true in many parts of the country. If the pump says "Power Blend Diesel" or "Preimier Blend Diesel" it's Amoco Fuel from the Amoco pipeline and will be minimum 47 Cetane.

Wayne B

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
If the pump says "Power Blend Diesel" or "Preimier Blend Diesel" it's Amoco Fuel from the Amoco pipeline and will be minimum 47 Cetane.

[/ QUOTE ]
You will also notice it is clear and not a yellow or green color. You have to be careful because not all BP stations sell the good stuff. Found that out last winter.
Jim

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You have to be careful because not all BP stations sell the good stuff. Found that out last winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you have to make sure the pump says "Power Blend Diesel". If the pump doesn't say "Power Blend Diesel" it's not Amoco diesel.

Wayne B

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
You might want to check the "Cetane" rating of the fuel. It's the diesel equivalent of octane in gasoline. Usually it's found in the 38-40 range; however, I have run Hess fuel @42 cetane and the truck runs better and mpg is better. That could possible account for what you have seen...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Does anyone know what the "owners manual" says the Cetane rating should be for the 2005 2006 MY? My truck wont be here for about two more weeks or so.

The local Citgo station close to the house is where I plan to buy 99% of the diesel fuel used in the truck.........the pump says Premium Diesel - but I have not looked to see if the Cetane rating is posted.

They have 8 diesel pumps and about 32 gas pumps. There is almost always a long line waiting for both gas and diesel. I think it is the most busy station I have every seen; but all the pumps are lightening fast and most likely the most friendly station operators around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would say it does matter I used Shell Diesel for the first 6000 miles then switched over to Diamond Shamrock..And noticed a 2 mile per gallon decrease on the first tank. It has been the same for the past 6k miles even using stanadyne performance formula. Next tank I'm going to switch back to shell. Its a little more expensive 3-4 cents but it seems to pay for its self

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well this has been an interesting thread. So far Ive run Texaco, Shell, Chevron and an off market place called Astro.

When I bought the thing, the old owner had been using Astro and it ran fine for the remainder of that tank. I thought name brand would be better so bought Shell. That seemed OK. Was out of town and ran Texaco. The Texaco ran like crap and I finally got it through by diluting it with Shell, then found a Chevron and it runs great. Best it ever has and quieter. May be some strange coincidence that caused it to run bad on the Texaco but I wont go back to test it out.

·
Registered
822 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to check the "Cetane" rating of the fuel. It's the diesel equivalent of octane in gasoline. Usually it's found in the 38-40 range; however, I have run Hess fuel @42 cetane and the truck runs better and mpg is better. That could possible account for what you have seen...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so. Cetane rating relates to the ease of igniting the fuel. The higher the cetane number, the easier to ignite. Just about the reverse of octane rating of gasoline. Of course nothing is that simple, but higher cetane rating does not necessarily mean better fuel or better mileage. The higher the cetane rating, the lower the BTU potential, so theoretically, less work done. Again theoretically, the lowest cetane rating that will give reliable ignition would give the highest output or mileage. As with everything else, it's a compromise.
Doesn't much matter anyway, all diesel has to meet the standard ASTM 975 which results in a cetane rating of 40 minimum. Some is higher by a few points and is often called "premium", which is a pretty meaningless term.
Don't expect to change anybody's mind, but all the fuel we can buy is pretty much the same, or at least left the terminal that way, and in any given area it all comes from the same place regardless of brand.

·
Registered
374 Posts
starting in august 2006 ford vehicles will come through with a preffered vendor for gas/fuel. i cant tell you yet. but u all will see soon..interesting thing is now people will have to save their gas/fuel receipts for warranty.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Some is higher by a few points and is often called "premium", which is a pretty meaningless term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the fuel I get is 47 Cetane, that's 7 points higher which is 18% higher. I don't concider 18% a small number /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Amoco "Power Blend Diesel" is ONLY MADE WITH AMOCO FUEL FROM AMOCO PIPELINES. Period!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif Amoco/BP is the only company that uses their own pipelines in their service area's.

You will NOT find a BP/Amoco station with signs all over the parking lot that say "Amoco Fuel Sold Here", unless they have fuel from Amoco PIPELINES in their tanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

And I notice the differance in noise, power and it runs smoother. The PSD was Designed with Amoco 47 cetane fuel in the tanks. We were told this at the first tour of the Internatianal Engine Plant in Indy by an Engineer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif
I guess Internatianal doesn't understand a higher cetane does nothing to produce more power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Wayne B

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
starting in august 2006 ford vehicles will come through with a preffered vendor for gas/fuel. i cant tell you yet. but u all will see soon..interesting thing is now people will have to save their gas/fuel receipts for warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

A manufacture CAN NOT tell you what fuel to use. It is RECOMMENDED Supplier. This is the fuel the vehicle runs BEST on.

Wayne B

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
A manufacture CAN NOT tell you what fuel to use. It is RECOMMENDED Supplier. This is the fuel the vehicle runs BEST on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!!! If I pay $50,000 for a truck I should not be told which fuel I have to run in it...sounds like some type of partnership where the two companies benefit and we do not...if that is true

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So where does one get Amoco on the west coast?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Its pretty public knowledge the partner for Ford's 'recommended' fuels is BP.

GM, Honda and Toyota are all going to 'recommend' Chevron.

Ford fuel caps will have the BP Helios logo printed on them to encourage you to use the BP fuel. It is not a warranty requirement but a marketing tool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The egg smell, if rotten, is the sulfer. Newer fuels are required to remove the sulfer from the diesel, mandated by the government. This causes a problem with fuel lubrication. I experienced engine power surging if I don't drive for more than a week. I have stopped this with a fuel lubricant ( I used power service from Walmart ). The engine runs smoother, the mileage has increased, and the power seems to have increased.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
sounds like some type of partnership where the two companies benefit and we do not...if that is true

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, GM is going to be recommending at least two different companies & maybe three. I heard Amoco for the Vet and GTO. But that is hearsay around the dealership, so take it as that.

Wayne B

·
Registered
822 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some is higher by a few points and is often called "premium", which is a pretty meaningless term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the fuel I get is 47 Cetane, that's 7 points higher which is 18% higher. I don't concider 18% a small number /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Amoco "Power Blend Diesel" is ONLY MADE WITH AMOCO FUEL FROM AMOCO PIPELINES. Period!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif Amoco/BP is the only company that uses their own pipelines in their service area's.

You will NOT find a BP/Amoco station with signs all over the parking lot that say "Amoco Fuel Sold Here", unless they have fuel from Amoco PIPELINES in their tanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

And I notice the differance in noise, power and it runs smoother. The PSD was Designed with Amoco 47 cetane fuel in the tanks. We were told this at the first tour of the Internatianal Engine Plant in Indy by an Engineer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif
I guess Internatianal doesn't understand a higher cetane does nothing to produce more power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Wayne B

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy there, big feller. Before you hyperventilate, read my post again. Amoco is the exception, not the rule, and it's nowhere to be seen in much of the country. And what difference does it make anyway? You telling us that that magic elixir is 18% better than anybody else's, and gives 18% more mileage? #2 oil is #2 oil.
That 18% cetane rating difference that so impresses you means exactly what in quantitative terms to the BTU potential of the fuel? Calm down and do some research.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You telling us that that magic elixir is 18% better than anybody else's, and gives 18% more mileage? #2 oil is #2 oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOPE, Bet you didn't expect that did you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

BUT, it does make my truck run better, gives me a little more power & Costs the same or LESS than the other Name Brand Stations in the area /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif And the fuel is is very fresh, there is a tanker there at least two - three time a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif So I get my fuel there or the Co-Op that is 45 cetane and sells LOTS of fuel also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

Wayne B

21 - 40 of 49 Posts