The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dealing with a leaky rear end cover in my 96 F350. I picked up both a Felpro gasket and a tube of blue Permatex. Anybody recommend which to use -- or both? I've heard that waiting at least overnight before pumping in lube after seal replacement is in order, too. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Use both. Light coat to both mating surfaces. I use the same gasket with the Permatex black and I have the driest rear axle in the county. No need to wait overnight. I would if it was a pressurized seal, but you’ll be fine on the differential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
If either, use only the silicone, as described in this diagram & its caption:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/185332 (for phone apps)

But RightStuff is vastly superior (and vastly expensiver), and it doesn't require any cure time before filling & driving. But according to Ford, silicone needs less than an hour. The '96 shop manual doesn't have the procedure for the heavy axles, but this is what it says for the 8.8":
NOTE: Axle housing cover must be installed within 15 minutes of application of the silicone or new sealant must be applied. If time permits, allow one hour before filling with lubricant to make sure silicone sealant has properly cured.

Install axle housing cover and tighten bolts to 38-52 Nm (28-38 lb-ft). Tighten the cover bolts in a cross-wise pattern to maintain axle housing cover flatness.
The torque spec for the 10.25" Rear Cover Bolt is the same.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
I leave mine sit overnight to dry. Also waited overnight for Indian head gasket shellac to dry on the coolant hoses with recent coolant flush everything dry as a bone. If you have the time it won't hurt.
DENNY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts