The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling to read the Dipstick since I got my truck. I have the Cable style dipstick. I can see oil about 1/4-1/2 then there is oil at the very top and all the way up the cable portion of the dipstick. Its impossible to read. Any other dipsticks that are easier to read like the old 7.3L?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have you tried shutting down the engine, wiping the dipstick clean, and checking again in 15-20 minutes?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have been struggling to read the Dipstick since I got my truck. I have the Cable style dipstick. I can see oil about 1/4-1/2 then there is oil at the very top and all the way up the cable portion of the dipstick. Its impossible to read. Any other dipsticks that are easier to read like the old 7.3L?
I have the same problem.. Even trying to read it first thing in the morning after the truck's sat all night..

Maybe with younger eyes.... Problem is - I'm old.. :D

Reactions: MrTommy

·
Registered
301 Posts
I usually check mine after it has sat for a bit. The biggest thing I hate is crawling inside the engine bay to pull the dipstick out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm having the same problem exactly as Balla6.7 described. Not sure if I need to add or drain half a quart.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have seen a few guys spray them clean with brake cleaner and paint the lower section with a light color heat paint good for 1600 degrees and it makes it a lot easier to read.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I agree—tough to read when full or over full. But, try this. Pull the dip stick, wipe it clean, and push it back in just even with the o-ring, not all the way in. When the oil level falls in the middle of the hatch marks, it is a lot easier to read. To see exactly where the oil would have been if pushed all the way back in, you could bend the cable around holding the top up against the bottom to measure the difference. While I’ll probably never hook a chain to that tow hook, it is handy to stand on while checking the oil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The last time I changed the oil I put in exactly 3 Gallons(12qts). The 6.7L has a 13qt sump. I am 1 qt low and still getting a reading 1/2 up the hash marks but somehow the very top of it & cable draws oil up like a sponge almost 1" above the FULL mark?!?!? ***?

Called my local dealer (Walker Ford) and asked if they knew anything about or if they have another style/version dipstick I can buy. The gentlemen only knew about the new superseding dipstick that is the one I have now.

Ford needs to figure this out, someone is either gunna run too low or overfill it and it's all becuase a PITA dipstick.

I will post pics tommorow & have everyone chime & give their .02

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have trouble reading the dip stick. Seems like it can set overnight and if you take the dipstick out to wipe it off it drags oil up the tube so when you stick the dipstick back down the tube the oil gets all over the end where you are trying to read the oil level. Maybe try reading it the first time you remove the dipstick from the tube.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've thought of filing some small serrations in the sides of the "bulb" along the operating range. The last notch to hold oil should be the oil level.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I've never seen the oil temp get over 242 degrees so I doubt that you need the high temp paint. If the dipstick were located in the exhaust stream then yes you would. But the oil never exceed the mid 200's

·
Registered
295 Posts
Everyone has he same problem when its new oil. The dirtier the oil gets the easier to read. Drove me nuts.-----Also what happens I believe, as you pull that mile long cable up through the guide tube, it picks up oil along all the way as it rubs on the sides of the tube. That can give you oil on the stick way above the hash marks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seems like nothing is simple anymore!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I lost my argument when I was complaining to my dealer that 15 quarts of oil they put in was 2 too many because of this crappy dipstick.
The behind the counter guy pulled it to show me it was the right amount and neither one of us could read it accurately.
It had oil in the middle of the hash mark section, then a blank spot, then more oil above it.

Useless and pathetic.

It doesn't match the pictures in the engine guide either.
I bet that one works.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
The sticks are horrible, plain and simple.

·
Registered
26 Posts
dito to all, took many readings last oil change

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Same problem here. I've had luck by doing the following: When engine is cold and level, pull dip stick out and wipe clean. Re-insert dip stick, pause for 5 seconds or so, then pull dipstick out--straight out, do not let the dipstick rotate. Pull it out very slowly and check. I think the trick is not letting the dip stick rotate when pulling it out.

I put exactly 12 quarts in mine, and after a few attempts using the above method, it seems I can see a distinct mark a the full level. It will be a straight line, where the rest of the markings will be jagged, as if they are just jagged marks of oil picked up alongside the dip stick tubing when you're pulling the dip stick out.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
PS: Next time you change your oil, try putting in 11 quarts and checking using the same method. You'll see what I'm talking about. You'll see the clean oil line. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts