The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is a new stick coming soon, no ETA yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Havent checked the level on the truck yet but the dipstick in our '12 Mustang (5.0) sucks as well; same issues you guys are complaining about here. I walked inside cursing it while I had my wife try to decipher what the hell I was seeing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The sticks are horrible, plain and simple.
+1000

I like the 'paint' idea - but not sure if even that will be enough.. I don't know why they can't made a tube that's straight to the sump. This 10-foot-long snaked tube (ok, slight exageration) makes an accurate reading impossible.. I can't even reach the dang thing w/o a small stepladder.. :mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
How much oil does the2012 6.7 diesel hold? Ive seen 12 13 15 hell which is it i thought 13

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the same issue with the tranny dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
26,393 Posts
Any other dipsticks that are easier to read like the old 7.3L?
The dipstick on a 7.3 isn't all that great either. The hatching is very light, at least on the ones I've seen (2 - granted a small sample). The wife's Buick has holes starting at the full level, and is a snap to read. I'm wondering why Ford didn't steal GM's idea. :shrug03

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts
I haven't seen a dip stick for a 6.7 but I would wager that you could drill a couple of holes in it even if it is plastic to help you read it. I have done it to all of my vehicles that didn't have it already done.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
600 miles after my oil change, the oil is just dirty enough I can see the level on the dipstick.
13 quarts puts my level right to the upper end of the hash marks.
I couldn't tell hardly anything when the oil was new.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My V-rod had the same problem. I painted it black. Still not wonderful, but better.

for the ford, I think I've only checked it twice, found it unreadable

·
Registered
2 Posts
New dipstick design available yet?

One of the last posts in this thread (6 months ago) suggests a new design is comming soon, i have a 2012 F250 and have the bad design shown in the photo's earlier in this post. Last night i checked it and it was halfway up the hatch marks (truck has 3000 miles), i added half a quart and now its reading overfull. Going to drain a little this weekend / mess with it.

Is there a new design available? I dont care if its 100$, im not going to spend the next 10 years fiddle farting around with this.

I will be investigating drilling micro holes in it this weekend (1/32), i expect that will work

Another possibility ill look into is shortening the dripstick tube (so ill have to crawl under the truck), this is option #2 of course.

I am also considering purchasing a replacement stick and modifying it to be a "Sweep" to clean the dip tube after pulling the stick out.

Another option may be to notice the orientation of the pull loop and ensure the cross hairs are pointed 'up' when inserted and during removal.

Any other idea's?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dipstick Modification

First the problems:
-The factory dipstick is nearly smooth, while being extracted the oil is wiped from the stick by the serpintine tube
-Latent oil in the tube is picked up on the way up further obscuring the reading.

The solution:
After stating the problem i found the solution rather obvious:
-Make the stick rougher so that the oil is not wiped away by the tube.
-Find a way to clean the tube so that latent oil does not contaminate the reading.

Making if Rougher:
Use a center punch to create divits between each X and at other points of interest, below is a picture of what i did, i think these are a little on the deep side, ive already ordered a replacement dipstick to do so again so that the divits are not so deep. The ones in the photo are a little to deep and are difficult to clean.

Cleaning the tube & taking the reading:
  1. Insert the dipstick, but not all the way. Stop a full 2" before seating the gasket, you dont want it to contact the oil bath, but stop just before.
  2. Remove, wipe, and re-insert (stopping 2" short). Repeat until clean, i found it took 5-6 repeats.
  3. Continue in this manner until the stick comes out clean.
  4. If the stick comes out clean, then you are ready to take the measurment, the tube is now clean, and you have a roughened dipstick to positivly pull the oil level all the way to where you can see it. Ensure your divits are fully cleaned out.
  5. Put the ring on your finger so that the divits are pointed upwards, and keep it there, do not allow the stick to rotate, i marked the ring on mine so i know which way is up without having to trace the cable back.
  6. Push the stick all the way in, ensure it lands into the oil bath slowly to prevent a splash.
  7. Pull the stick out, slowly, you do not want it to sling around the bends in the serpintine tube and transfer oil between your divits.
  8. You should have oil filled holes, followed by completly clean holes.
  9. you will see in the image below that im a few ounces overfull, but not over the high-high mark. I know from this i can drain another ounce.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
I wouldn't be losing too much sleep over ounces.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dip Stick Impossible to read

Wow, I thought it was just me but I get frustrated trying to read the dipstick on my 2011 F-350 Powerstroke. I was hoping Ford recognized the issue and would come up with a change.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Wow, I thought it was just me but I get frustrated trying to read the dipstick on my 2011 F-350 Powerstroke. I was hoping Ford recognized the issue and would come up with a change.
Hi radar36,

You should submit your thoughts on a redesigned dipstick to the "Your Ideas" tab of http://social.ford.com. Once your idea is submitted, come back here and post the link so we can all vote on it!

Crystal

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi radar36,

You should submit your thoughts on a redesigned dipstick to the "Your Ideas" tab of http://social.ford.com. Once your idea is submitted, come back here and post the link so we can all vote on it!

Crystal
I too add my vote as to the difficulty of reading the 6.7 dipstick. I added crosshatch marks opposite the factory ones and resorted to reading the dipstick in the morning with one pull cold. It's still not ideal, you should be able to read a dipstick anytime with no difficulty. Don't get me wrong I still really like my truck but the engineers really dropped the ball on the dipstick and tube. It should have been placed in a spot easier to get to for short people. I am 6 ft 3 inches and its not real easy for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the same trouble reading my dip stick. The first time I checked it I couldn't find a definite line. The level appeared to be where the cable goes into the flat piece. My buddy agreed. I took it to the dealer and had them check it. The mechanic saw the same thing but swore it was correct as they never put more than 13 quarts in as that is what Ford calls for. I unsuccessfully tried to explain to him the truck was new and had not had an oil change yet. When I bought the truck the dealer threw in a free oil change. I had the oil change done and it still appeared the level was where the cable met the flat piece. Combine the fact I can't read the level and the stick is way out of my reach the oil level hasn't been checked for a while.

nod

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 6.7 Oil Dip Stick has to be the most asinine item on my 2012. I love this truck after 4 months of purchase and if this is my only complaint so far then IM much luckier than many others posting 6.7 issues on this forum.

I can deal with the location but the ability to get a true reading or understanding where the oil level is actual needs to be addressed by Ford.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Still no resolution to this?
All I can tell is that it has some oil in it. No idea how much, just that there appears to be some.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My vote also: this is the most difficult dipstick to read, and I also have to agree you can NOT determine how much oil there is. I figure if I had the correct amount plus maybe a little extra (if there is oil anywhere on the dipstick, it's probably enough), it should suffice between 5000-mile oil changes! Ford really screwed-up this one, and I'll bet they won't admit it or fix it!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts