The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I have a 99 xlt with a 7.3. I bought the truck used at the end of 2014. At the beginning of this summer I noticed a oil leak that was coming from the dipstick adapter on the oil pan. I parked it for the summer because it started to get worse, and saved for the Strictly diesel dipstick repair kit. I finally ordered the kti and crawled under the truck to do the fix; only to find...someone replaced the oil pan at one point and somehow managed to put the dipstick adapter on inside out/upside down. I can post pictures if no-one believes me.

The instructions for the repair kit say to let the larger side of the old adapter fall into the pan. The weight should be enough to keep it from bouncing around and into the internals.
Since the stock dipstick adapter is on inside out and upside down that's kinda not possible.

Doing anything close to pulling the motor to remove the oil pan to fish the parts out is out of the question. I just do not have the space or the equipment where I am currently. I'm trying to refrain from taking the truck to a shop just to save money.

My series of questions are...
has anybody ever come across this before?
does anyone have any ideas on how to get the adapter off without taking it to a shop?
And if I manage to get the adapter off can anyone foresee the nut being a problem bouncing around in the oil pan?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
Never seen or heard of this before- first time for anything. I can't imagine how you're going to get it off with no access to the nut, but maybe if you can spin the adapter while pulling out the nut might bind just enough to allow you to spin it off. The nut won't hurt anything if it falls out. If you can fish it up to the hole, you could cut it and pull it out. Worst case scenario- you can cut a window in the side of the oil pan, do your repair, then fit a patch panel over the hole. If you can't do that, find a body guy to help. Pull the starter to give yourself room.

·
Super Moderator
26,591 Posts
So you're saying the tube on the adapter is pointing downward into the pan instead of upward on the outside and the nut is also on the inside. Someone would have had to fight it to do that, as there's a locating tab on the hole in the pan.

As far as getting the old one off, you could just break the rim off the inside part of the adapter that's on the outside, and let the whole thing fall into the pan. It wouldn't hurt anything as long as you kept any small particles of metal from falling inside that might get picked up by the low pressure oil pump.

IIRC, Strictly Diesel's kit is a complete replacement, so that would work.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yeah, get a pic. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright I got the picture here. sorry for the angle but that's the best I have on hand right now.
If you want another i'll head out and see if I can get a better angle.

RT, I thought about spinning it but the guide stud that fits inside the adapter groove would prevent that from happening.

And yes to klhansen. I thought I was having a stupid moment when I first thoguht about it, but if you take the parts and try to put the inside piece on upside down the outside of the pan it'll line up correctly. the key will line up with the hole, and the nut will screw on from the inside. albeit the angle of the tube will be wrong it will still fit without modification to the adapter or pan. As far as your suggestion to breaking the rim off I might do that. that didn't cross my mind.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,591 Posts
You should find out who did that. If it's a shop, you should never go back there. They apparently hire doofi (more than one doofus). :winking: First one was the guy who did that, and the second one was the guy who let it out of the shop that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should find out who did that. If it's a shop, you should never go back there. They apparently hire doofi (more than one doofus). :winking: First one was the guy who did that, and the second one was the guy who let it out of the shop that way.
Yeah. I know. It was before my time though so it's tough luck finding that out.

I'm finding it hard to find good diesel mechanics where i am. i'll try breaking the edge of the adapter off at some point this week if not tomorrow night. I'll keep you guys posted on how bad it goes lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts