The Diesel Stop banner

Disabling the key-in-ignition chime

25K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Greg687 
#1 ·
I did a search for this and found a couple entries but nothing difinitive.
It seems for the pre-05 trucks you can pull the ignition lock tumbler and tape over the contacts then reinsert the tumbler and no more dinger. At least one member with an '05 reported that this did not work on his truck.
I know I can pull the pink/black wire and totally disable the chimes, but if I understand correctly that disables the chimes for everything and I still want the air bag warning and lights on funtionality of the chimes.
So . . . how can I disable the key-in-the-ignition chime only?
I was able to disable the seat belt chime using the code sequence in the owner's manual. Does a similar sequence exist for the KII chime?

#2 ·
Removing the key module did work for my 2006. Key in and no chime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#3 ·
on my 04 I re-programmed to disable the seat belt chime, behind the fuse panel cover, I did cut the black wire with pink tracer, now it only chimes if I leave my parking lights on and the door is open!

#4 ·
Cutting the blck/pnk wire should only affect the key-in-ignition chime.

Try removing the ignition cylinder and either tape between/around or just remove the little metal contact, and see if that works for you.

#6 ·
It is a 2 minute job! Take the 3 screws out of the bottom plastic trim under the wheel. Turn the key on while pushing the little indent under the key tumbler and pull. Tumbler comes out, the little plastic piece pops up, fold it under the trim out of the way. Put the tumbler back and screws in. As easy as it can be. Wish I had done it years ago!

Reactions: Greg687
#5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Cutting the blck/pnk wire should only affect the key-in-ignition chime.

Try removing the ignition cylinder and either tape between/around or just remove the little metal contact, and see if that works for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cutting the black/pink wire works on the earlier trucks. Each input to the GEM is separate, but I understand the newer trucks no longer have a GEM. But there's a better way than cutting the wire.

On my truck, I disconnected the wiring connector on the steering column harness, removed the pin for the black/pink wire, taped it back out of the way and reconnected everything. If I ever need to hear the key-in-ignition chime again, I can just reinsert that pin.

It would be worth a try on the newer trucks, as it is totally reversible if it doesn't work.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.