The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 f350 6.4. Motor was just built by kdd. It only has 550miles on it. I had someone clean and flow the injectors before installing them in the new motor. After I drove the truck for about 2 weeks. It developed a hard start once truck was hot it would dump grey smoke on a hot start up. Cold starts truck was fine. Truck drove beautiful no smoke while driving. Had a few injectors that were sticking on hot starts. So I'm changing all 8 injectors brand new from ford. I'm just worried about how the glow plugs look with only that many miles. Plus carbon build up in the glow plug bores what's the cause of this should I be worried I don't want to ruin a brand new motor that's why I'm changing all 8 injectors don't want to take any chances. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I am a 7.3 guy so take what I say with a grain of salt. Did they replace the glow plugs at time of rebuild?If you had bad injectors they could have cause a lot of issues. I would clean the glow plugs if they are new, replace if old. You should be able to get a brush into the bore to clean that also.
DENNY

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The carbon on those glow plug bodies indicates combustion gasses were leaking and should not be there. The plugs seal to the cylinder head at the bottom of the stem which suggests they were loose or there was debris on the sealing edge of the plugs or in the bores in the heads which could cause leaks. While they could be cleaned for reuse I wouldn't reuse them as the sealing surfaces could be damaged. What is actually troubling is the glowplug bores are now contaminated with carbon and cleaning them will be nearly impossible with the heads on the engine. What most people do not know is the 6.4L has glowplug sleeves similar to the injector sleeves and they are serviceable in chassis with the cab off using the special service tools for removal and installation. If the heads were completely overhauled it is possible the sleeves were not properly seated when replaced... if they were replaced. Glowplug sleeves are not known to be problematic and I personally have never heard of a failure or of anyone replacing any. I went to the KDD website and I cannot tell exactly what their process is but it appears their cylinder heads are new or reworked castings so I would assume the sleeves are new. Keep in mind that if the engine did not come with glowplugs installed then the person who installed them is also suspect. I recommend picking up the phone and calling Kill Devil Diesel and discuss the issue with them. By all appearances they seem to know what they are doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The carbon on those glow plug bodies indicates combustion gasses were leaking and should not be there. The plugs seal to the cylinder head at the bottom of the stem which suggests they were loose or there was debris on the sealing edge of the plugs or in the bores in the heads which could cause leaks. While they could be cleaned for reuse I wouldn't reuse them as the sealing surfaces could be damaged. What is actually troubling is the glowplug bores are now contaminated with carbon and cleaning them will be nearly impossible with the heads on the engine. What most people do not know is the 6.4L has glowplug sleeves similar to the injector sleeves and they are serviceable in chassis with the cab off using the special service tools for removal and installation. If the heads were completely overhauled it is possible the sleeves were not properly seated when replaced... if they were replaced. Glowplug sleeves are not known to be problematic and I personally have never heard of a failure or of anyone replacing any. I went to the KDD website and I cannot tell exactly what their process is but it appears their cylinder heads are new or reworked castings so I would assume the sleeves are new. Keep in mind that if the engine did not come with glowplugs installed then the person who installed them is also suspect. I recommend picking up the phone and calling Kill Devil Diesel and discuss the issue with them. By all appearances they seem to know what they are doing.
Thank you so much for the help no one had any answers for me. So what would your recommendation be from here? I'm getting all new 8 injectors right from ford. I see the stem down in side the glow plug bores can I clean them and get new glow plugs. It was my dumb mistake cause I did not torque them to the 14nm that they called for. My biggest thing with me only driving 550 miles can I clean the bores really well and replace with new glow plugs and torque them to spec. What would you recommend and what would be the best way to clean them.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Since it's fresh you could probably get away with some carb cleaner and a wooden dowel with some cloth. The dowel and cloth might be tough due to the size of the sleeve so some thought and trial and error along with patience is in order. Access and being able to visually see the sleeve is going to prove a challenge. I would not be overly concerned with the sides - it's the bottom where the glowplug seats you want to be sure is clean.

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
ford_doctor, would a nylon rifle bore cleaning brush be any good for this? Or even a brass one? They come in multiple sizes so the OP could get one that fits quite well by using the glow plug as a comparison for what size to get. Also depending on how tight it is to get to the sleeves the OP could use a flexible cleaning rod to reach them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay perfect I will clean the bore really well before I reinstall new glow plugs. Isnt the recommended torque 14nm. Bugman I was thinking the same thing using rifle cleaning tool.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The problem with the barrel brushes is they don't have brushes facing down, would only clean the sides which is not as critical as cleaning the seat where the glowplugs seal. We have metal brushes for the injector cups which do just that but they are much too large for the glowplug sleeves. This is why I suggested using a dowel with some cloth wrapped on the tip. This works well with brakleen and compressed air FWIW. I suppose if you were hell bent on cleaning the sides a rifle brush would work but don't bottom it out and scrape up the seat... then finish it off with the dowel and cloth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts