The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery post/clamp on driver side has minor corrosion, or that green powder. Would like to remove post clamps, clean thm off.

Can this be done while second battery still connected, keeping the system, computers hot?

I take my truck to dealer, those Quick Change thingie place, but any tech servicing my truck fails to spot, clean battery posts.

Don’t know if there’s a spray cleaner to clean, wash the green stuff away? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
As long as you don't let the positive side touch anything.
Go go the parts store and look near the battery stuff. Cleaner and protectant can be had.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If i am leaving one battery attached, I will get a cloth of decent thickness such as a wash clothe and wrap it around the positive cable end that is removed. The clothe acts as an insulator.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you have corrosion on your battery terminals you need a new battery. It won't be long till it will go out and wonder where it will leave you stranded. Never in the driveway and always on the way to work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, you can clean your battery terminals and cable connections, one battery at a time. You just need to be very careful not to let the positive cable to come in contact with any part of the body, which is grounded. You do not want to be arch welding.
Since this sounds like the first time you have services a batter, safety is critical. Wear safety glasses, rubber gloves, and old clothes. Battery acid, which is sulfuric acid, will eat thru clothes and skin.
Prior to touching anything near your batteries it is a good idea to neutralize the acid that maybe on and around the battery.
A few tablespoons of backing soda mixed with warm water in a 1 liter bottle should be plenty for each battery. This mixture can be poured or sprayed directly on the terminals and cable connector. You will know it is working because it will bubble/foam. Keep applying the mixture until it no longer bubbles/foams. Use plenty of fresh water to rinse everything down. If you have the time, it is also a good idea to pull the battery to thoroughly clean the battery compartment.
Now you can remove cable connectors from the battery terminals. Using the battery cleaning tool, clean the battery posts by sliding the tool over the post and turn the tool clockwise until the post is clean. Then take the cap off the tool and use the wire brush to clean out the inside of the cable terminal connector.
I also recommend that you purchase the Red and Green felt washers that go over the battery posts.
I also recommend using the special protective grease that you will spread over the battery posts and terminal connectors after the connectors are reinstalled on the battery posts. I use a flux brush to spread the grease.
This is not a hard job. The cleaner you get all the parts, will result in better electrical connections.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery post clamp

Good information. Got the answer I suspected. Just wanted to hear from others if one battery could be disconnected for service. Thanks for the info.

I had similar issues with the passenger side battery, just not bad, just merely brushed it, washed it off with fresh water. The battery post clamp itself was seeing the junk on it. Here, the driver side battery has junk under the clamp. So I blieve need to remove the clamp to clean off under it.

So far, even tho passenger side battery as cleaned off, it is still going, hot. Know that if corrosion sets at battery post, conductivity will be impaired, likely results in no start or recharging.

Truck is 7 yo, OEM batteries failed in about year 4. Realized the Ford ESP not cover replacement, so my $$ to replace, and an expensive proposition.

Back in my old mechanic days, seen many battery posts serverly covered in that junk. Used to remove the clamp, mechanically scrape, clean them. Then applied a coat of Permetex gasket sealer paste (anyone remember Pemetex?).

·
Registered
868 Posts
If i am leaving one battery attached, I will get a cloth of decent thickness such as a wash clothe and wrap it around the positive cable end that is removed. The clothe acts as an insulator.
This is a good thing to do. I do something similar, but I use an old piece of inner tube. A piece of bicycle inner tube is perfect, but any inner tube will work. Just go to any tire store & they will probably give you an old tube.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Yup....remember Permatex.......hardening and non-hardening varieties....prior to RTV becoming so popular and cheap

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I do this all the time. I use a rubber bungee cord attached to the hood to hold the positive clamp up and out of the way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Battery post connection cleaning

I have removed the + connector and cleaned the post and connector. I had to use cordless drill motor and rotary wire brush to get it clean. Couple of thought spots. And I also notice the clamp connector part is copper.

This connector was pushed down on the post to the very top of the battery. Checking the passenger side, I saw that its connector flush with batt post and maybe 1/4” above top of battery. And very clean.

So after I cleaned the driver side battery connector I reinstalled it, leaving a gap between top of batt and bottom of connector. Top of connector now flush to battery post, likebother battery connectors.

Thereafter found I had corrosion spray I just brought that’s is dielectric, notedcas good for battery post electrical connections. So applied some to the batteries posts. We’ll see how that goes.

Batteries are Motorcraft 850 CCA, and have green tags of 3/15 and 5/15. These were the replacement units, my record stating replaced 8/15. Hence, just over 3+ yrs old.

Hey guys, thanks for the info, big help. Keep on truckin!! :smile2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Battery post/clamp on driver side has minor corrosion, or that green powder. Would like to remove post clamps, clean thm off.

Can this be done while second battery still connected, keeping the system, computers hot?

I take my truck to dealer, those Quick Change thingie place, but any tech servicing my truck fails to spot, clean battery posts.

Don’t know if there’s a spray cleaner to clean, wash the green stuff away? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Pour your favorite cola or Dr. Pepper on the terminals. Then wipe with a rag. They contain a weak concentration of Phosphoric Acid and it takes all that crap off. You usually don't even have to remove the terminals from the posts. I like to use the Diet versions as they don't leave behind a sticky residue. It doesn't take a lot, and then you can finish off the rest of the can or bottle after your done. I also put a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the clean battery terminals.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heard of some doing this. Maybe good idea, way to clean the posts. But don’t want to pour any of wife’s Coke Zero here. She get peeved...
Besides don’t want sweet smelling Coke on battery or it’s tray. Might attract bugs.

Perhaps using TSP better. Basically this is soap, strong soap, known as degreaser cleaner, but stronger phosphate additive within. But I would still be leary using it here. Thinking of truck surroundings around battery areas.

Recently Painted our garage floor, used TSP to degrease and do lil bit etching. Get some on your hand, can feel it “biting”.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
An "old timer" once showed me that slowly pouring near boiling hot water on corroded terminals will melt away the fuzzies and green stuff. He was right much to my amazement. You can also dissolve a little baking soda in the water beforehand for some additional neutralizing. I still do this on really bad terminals though with today's stamped steel battery terminal clamps you may need to do some picking and brushing to open up cavities and seams. Believe it or not I discovered that Simple Green cleaner sprayed directly on the terminals is also quite effective.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
I usually give my batteries a bath with a mixture of water and A&H Baking soda.

Not just the terminals but I'll poor it across the top of the battery and if there is any dirt/grease on the battery I'll use a soft brush to clean it off. The soda will neutralize the battery acid and you can then flush it away with a water hose.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would do that too. But worry if those pop off caps do seal well enough. The thought of baking soda getting into battery cavity concerns me. Long ago I did that to one of my vehicles. Few days after cleaning, it was dead, gone. New battery.

Water, and only water should be ok, IMHO. And no telling what’s in tap water.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Both of your batteries are leaking. Batteries that don't leak don't have this problem. Cleaning the terminals is only a stop gap measure. Your batteries are junk. Its best to buy new batteries. I know they still crank fine but it won't be long till they won't. Does your wife drive this truck? Something to think about

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
I would do that too. But worry if those pop off caps do seal well enough. The thought of baking soda getting into battery cavity concerns me. Long ago I did that to one of my vehicles. Few days after cleaning, it was dead, gone. New battery.

Water, and only water should be ok, IMHO. And no telling what’s in tap water.....

I have been doing it now for over 50 years with zero problems and I have never lost a battery due to it. Remember you are not using a pressure washer.

If your caps are that loose perhaps you need a new battery.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Both of your batteries are leaking. Batteries that don't leak don't have this problem. Cleaning the terminals is only a stop gap measure. Your batteries are junk. Its best to buy new batteries. I know they still crank fine but it won't be long till they won't. Does your wife drive this truck? Something to think about
There may be various reasons for its occurrence. My 7.3 batteries do this all the time and still last for years. I have one now that spits a little acid through the vent hole and results in a light coating of moisture on the top of the casing. I need to pop the top some day and see if one cell is not a bit high.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just cleaned the driver side battery positive terminal and connector on my 2016.

Picture 1, before cleaning. Picture 2, pour on Diet Dr. Pepper, I only used about 1/4 of a 12 ounce can. Picture 3, use an old tooth brush for hard to get areas. Picture 4, pour on tap water to rinse off Dr. Pepper and blue crud mixture. Picture 5, dry off terminal and battery top with a rag or paper towel and add a thin coating of petroleum jelly.

The passenger side battery terminal was done last year and had no blue powder around the terminal. Unlike baking soda, which neutralizes acid, Colas and Dr. Pepper contain Phosphoric acid that doesn't affect battery performance if any was to leak into the cells.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts

I have been doing it now for over 50 years with zero problems and I have never lost a battery due to it. Remember you are not using a pressure washer.

If your caps are that loose perhaps you need a new battery.
I do mine just like the BugMan about twice a year.

The reason I suggest the baking soda is because it nuetralizes the corrosive properties. You guys must remember back when engine bays had metal battery trays and those trays would get all rusted out? That is a result of the acidic properties of the corrosion washing down the side of the battery casing without the additional step of using a bicarbonate to neutralize the acid.

Water alone won’t do that and neither will soda pop which is also mildly acidic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts