The Diesel Stop banner

Distance to empty

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  larrgh 
#1 ·
I have a new 2015 f250 diesel. I traded in a 2012, my question is my truck shows fuel mileage in the 17's but when I fill the tank it says no higher than low 200's on the distance to empty. Any ideas what may be up?

#2 ·
How many miles on the truck? My low fuel light comes on I believe at 50 miles till empty. When I fill, I usually only fit about 20 gallons in it. It is off by about 50 miles easily on what I have left till I am truly empty.

Do you tow at all? That screws up your DTE when you fluctuate between towing and not towing.

My last tank which was mostly towing set my low fuel light off at 50 miles but I had 1 needles width less then 1/4 of a tank left. My truck was getting 11mpg so it was looking at the past history average and not current driving habits.

#3 ·
I just have 300 miles on it. When I would fill up my 2012 it would say 350-400 distance to empty when getting comparable fuel mileage. Maybe it will even out after driving it for awhile.

#6 ·
Ok. Maybe it is just because it has so few miles. I don't remember what mine did when new but I know now when I fill up it tells me over 800 miles. Oh I have the 50 gallon Titan tank. Last fill up took 43 gallons.

Let us know what you find out.

#7 ·
I have the 50 gallon Titan tank. Last fill up took 43 gallons.
Questions?
How many miles to empty did you show?
Where was your fuel gauge at ?

My last fill up was also a little over 43 gallons. DTE showed 35 miles. Needle was ON E. Gallons used was only showing 38.5

Up until this fill up. Gallons used has been +/- 1.0 gallon. but they again I usually fill up around 35 gallons & 1/4 tank showing on the needle.

I also have the 50 Gallon Titan Tank.

Sorry for taking this off topic!

#9 ·
It would be completely full and say 211 miles to empty. Now it is a little less than half a tank and says 170 miles to empty. I now have 500 miles on it.

#10 ·
My guess is before you bought it, it idled a bunch from the factory to the dealer. That will kill your mileage and will tank a tank or two to get back to normal. Already sounds like it is returning to what it should be.

#11 ·
the M-to-E is dynamic...it will not always show show higher M-to-E when you fill up. If you drive it, it will recompute and display a new M-to-E when the ECU says update it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.