The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna get started soon, figure I would rundown the parts I have aquired to put in this thing.

Stock tan clutches, stock plain steels, std. thickness.
o/d, 4
coast, 4
direct, 6
forward, 5
intermediate, 4
reverse, 7
new ford int. band
my own accumulator, bits and pieces from here and there
new on/off converter lockup pump, modded of course
torqushift input shaft
latest strength 4 pinion o/d planet
6 pinion forward planet
6 pinion latest strength reverse planet
sonnax o/d spirolock ring
few bits and pieces from a tugger kit (not many)
new thrust washers, roller bearing, and bushings.
new forward and output shaft hubs
new solenoid body
new cooler bypass.
new o/d and reverse one way roller clutches
45 element int. sprag
new sun gears
new seals, snap rings, feed bolts, etc
teflon sealing rings. last but not least an old suncoast single disc converter, reworked by Lenny at UCC.

Will start he pump mods, accum etc, then pull the unit and start the build next week, here we go.

· Registered
816 Posts
Re: DIY tranny build thread

What special tools are needed?

· Banned
5,960 Posts

ooooo this one's gonna be good John. Does this mean we'll have a 'tranny build tutorial' that will inspire us to do it ourselves?

I can't wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

some od the tools I made, the others are rotunda (ford). Mainly you need a tool to load the stacked geartrain for the lower end, and one to load the coast clutch/o/d assy. Along with a compressor tool. I will get some pics of these as well.

· Registered
898 Posts

I'm waiting for you to put together your own "badazz-in-a-box" parts list. What about red alto's and kolenes? The 5R input is a drop-in? On/off converter lock-up pump? I assume this is the plug with the bleed hole in it.
I'm probably gonna be doing my e4od soon, I like the info you put together on it. Keep up the good work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I did not go with kolenes and reds as this is my own rig and if they do not hold (which they will) then its no biggie for me to fix it. In fact I have a whole set of Altos on the shelf. I'm going with a little differnt mod in the pump as well, some new astuff I have stumbled upon. The 5r shaft is a drop in, it was a freebie, they are only like 60 bucks new from the dealer. This is a tow rig, I do not flog the crap out of it but do have a bit of power now and use it to drag my enclosed car trailer and all my race junk with it. I have only about a grand worth of real money in it, the stock converter rattles and I just cant leave it like it is knowing what crap is inside it.

· Registered
260 Posts

Lots of pictures....I am thinking of trying to do mine when the time comes. Did a few c4 and c6's back in the early 80s, they worked out ok. I am sure the 4r100 is a little different but still the same basic workings with extra goodies.

Thaks for taking the time to share.

Dan

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

http://community.webshots.com/album/549932692qZnOot

couple pics up, will yank the tranny tommorrow and tear it down. I did build another vb for it to test before I tore into it just to be sure it was not to harsh before I put it in the new unit. If it had been I could tweak it some while it was out, of course it was dead on. We will see how it acts with more clutch and a better converter, my stock one is in sad shape, the stall speed is way to high with the power now.

· Premium Member
4,150 Posts
You can go 6 on forward and 8 on direct. What type of input shaft is it, any idea? I have seen them for $50, $200 and $800. Wondering if the $800 unit is really all that or what??? My pump gear was ate to hell, I think they are around $60 -$70 for a 10 lobe unit. Please take lots of pics, I am seriously considering doing the exact same thing. Locking overdrive spiral snap ring might not be a bad idea.

Single disk ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Never mind about the shaft, I just went back and read the entire post start to finish

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the 6 and 8 you must use the thinner frictions and steels, I did not want to do that on this unit. It is a shaft from a 5r110, the 300m shafts are only 200ish. This one was free. Again I do not have a 500 hp monster, this is a 350 or so tow rig. I have all the Alto plates and kolenes lying around. I wanted to build a unit of this type to see what it will hold. The locking o/d ring is a must, the coast is a good idea too. The trango kits supply A better coast ring, works great if you do not want to cut the drum or buy one that done. The converter Is a core that I aquired. It is a single disc but much larger than the e4/4r part, which done correctly will hold a bunch of power.

· Registered
5,467 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
the 6 and 8 you must use the thinner frictions and steels, I did not want to do that on this unit. It is a shaft from a 5r110, the 300m shafts are only 200ish. This one was free. Again I do not have a 500 hp monster, this is a 350 or so tow rig. I have all the Alto plates and kolenes lying around. I wanted to build a unit of this type to see what it will hold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you machine space to fit additional clutches without having to use thinner ones?

Hammer

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
using the stock thickness plates this is a far as you can go, they will fit in the drum, but not make contact with the hubs. Everything needs ample room to apply and allow for running clearances etc. I have seen a stock friction 5 disc forward look new in a unit where everything else was smoked, and this was in a rig that made over 400 rwhp and towed heavy. I am running stock line pressure both mechanical and electrical in this unit.

· Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Are you thinking the thinner clutches are that much weaker, or is this persoanl preferrence? The packs I am looking at are Alto Red Eagle stuff. Trying to get a list together for myself to do the same thing

Have a part number on those clutches or a good website to look up this stuff?

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a notion this is how Bts does it. I have always used the reds in the past, just wanted to see how this would hold. I'll prolly pull it out in a couple of years to see how its doing. Keeping all the fluid in check (no leaks etc) and tightening up the shifts with a good accumulator I feel the unit will lead a long healthy life.

· Banned
5,960 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Still in the wrong forum

Should be in 7.3L PowerStroke Engine and drivetrain

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, this is not a stock rebuild. It should be where he put it first. Or better yet, there should be a tranny forum. Gauranteed there is enough traffic about JUST trannies to justify it, and it would be much easier to keep track of all the questions and info about trannies.

Anyway, back on topic, Richter's gonna be the DIYer's hero when he gets this thing done. Sure would save a lot of money to just be able to buy a kit and put it in yourself instead of having it done, or paying a small fortune for the stander three letter lover's fare. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got it apart, the o/d snap ring was off and tearing up the coast drum, I saw a twinkle of metal in the fluid when I drained it so thats where it came from. O/d clutch was starting to slip along with the direct. All the others looked new. This unit has 80k miles on it, no sign of ever a chip, but had a hitch in the bed so I'm sure it was used mainly to pull with. Will clean it up tommorrow and start the build. Will need an o/d cylinder, return spring and piston now. This is cured with the sonnax spirolock ring, every unit needs one stock or not.

· Premium Member
4,150 Posts
When you are finished think you could post a $$$ figure for the total job. With out too much shopping I have figured around $600 - $800+ depending on how complete I go. Monsterbox has a kit for $1150 thats fairly complete, includes hardened shaft, but no pump gear. It also includes the Raysbestos Blue Plate Special intermediate clutches. Pretty salty units, or so I have heard.

Wish I knew the qty in the clutch packs that BTS uses, that would solidify things for me. Are OD and direct clutches worn or were the steels glazed, both?

Here is a run down of the Factory Tech build list. See anything obvious missing?

6 Low Reverse Steels
6 Low Reverse Frictions, Raybestos
1 Reverse Pressure Plate
6 Forward Steels, Koleen
6 Forward Frictions
1 Forward Tapered Pressure Plate
1 Forward U/S Pressure Plate
8 Direct Altos Reds
8 Direct Koleens
1 Direct Pressure Plate/Snap Ring
1 45 Element Sprag
1 Band, Intermediate
3 Intermediate Steels
3 Intermediate Blue Plate Specials
1 Overdrive Pressure Plate
4 Overdrive Steels, Koleen
4 Overdrive Frictions
1 Overdrive Select Snap Rings Set
1 Hardened Input Shaft
3 Coast Clutch Steels
3 Coast Clutch Frictions
1 2C Accumulator
1 Pump Boost Valve, Sonnax
1 Seal and Gasket Kit

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've seen the Factory Tech deal, looks good. The only thing is the 8 direct clutches, everyone I have ever done the top friction runs off the spline, you can't get the stack close enough to the apply piston to make it work. I use 7 and 7, and the pressure plate from the forward kit with a .125 snap ring to make it fit. The o/d I feel is glazed from the snap ring not allowing the o/d return spring to pull the piston back and dragging the clutch. The direct and and o/d are still likely from the soft accumulator ford puts in them. Usually the forward and intermediate are smoked, not the case in this one. The center support was worn pretty good, but all in all it looked in real good shape. The fluid was pretty dark when I bought it but a pan and converter drain followed by several pan off's to play with the vb the fluid looked new. I suspect the original fluid was from the converter clutch, the magnet had a bunch of sludge the first time I pulled it as well. I always had a feeling the snap ring was off, you could hear a tinny sound every so often when the truck was idling from the trans area. Over 2/3 of the 4r's I tear down at work have the ring blown off, pretty common, this one must have been like this a while for the amount of wear it had on it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.