The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys,

I am looking at buying a used f350 found one with a big heavy bumper. Do they considerably wear out the front end like some people and myself think?
Also what do you know about the "death shake" when running down the road with a big bumper?

Thanks All

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks good point.
any thoughts about the "death shake" true or false? or is it just bad maintenance on the front end of the truck with a heavy bumper, so they lose control and crash and burn.

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
I don't think its an equation of all or nothing such as a roadside breakdown.

I think its measured in shorter life of front-end components AND tires.

After all, why do we have such issues with ball joint wear compared to gassers ?

Isn't it in large part to the additional weight of a diesel engine?

Now throw on a bumper that weighs an extra 150-200# cantilevered forward of the front axle.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
thanks good point.
any thoughts about the "death shake" true or false? or is it just bad maintenance on the front end of the truck with a heavy bumper, so they lose control and crash and burn.

Thanks
Dave
"Lose control"

"Crash & Burn"

I think that might be a wee bit overdramatic. :winking:

I don't recall ever reading on this forum about anyone having this personal experience.

PhillipPeterson has logged a million miles on five different Powerstrokes so hopefully he will weigh in how many times he has experienced the "Death Wobble".

·
Registered
579 Posts
"Lose control"

"Crash & Burn"

I think that might be a wee bit overdramatic. :winking:

I don't recall ever reading on this forum about anyone having this personal experience.

PhillipPeterson has logged a million miles on five different Powerstrokes so hopefully he will weigh in how many times he has experienced the "Death Wobble".
I have not experienced the Death Wobble. I know what it is and believe it must be terrifying to experience. I had some pretty big shakes in the front end from running over stuff from ladders to potholes. But not the wobble. The mechanic I used kept things pretty tight in the steering and suspension. Yes, there is a cost to replacing bushings and ball joints etc, but I just consider that part of the cost of ownership. I maintain my vehicles and get pretty good prices for them when I sell them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've also not experienced the 'death wobble' but have had some serious wheel shake going over expansion joints on a couple of bridges around here. That said, I have had my trucks alignment checked within a couple of thousand miles of new and in every case the mechanic at the local Ford Quick Lube has adjusted the caster (I believe that is the correct item) pushing the front wheels forward as much as they could go within the alignment envelope. Isn't really much of a move (a few degrees if that) but it did reduce the wobble coming off those expansion joints.

I questioned it the first time he did it - the example he gave me was a shopping cart. If you ever notice one that the front wheel shakes to no end you will notice that the wheel is directly below the cart or slightly behind - think of an L or \ as an example. Put the wheel forward just a bit / and it doesn't wobble. In any case, it seems to work for my vehicles. Again, not a lot of adjustment to it but it seems to work.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
No harm other than looking stupid....especially those gawdy ass ranch hand eyesores

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I recently saw a collision that would have simply been a fender bender if the stock bumper had still been installed but the ranch bumper is much higher at the front of the wheels and so did not impact the other vehicle. Instead the first point of contact was the front wheel of the truck which then proceeded to roll right up and over the hood of the other vehicle causeing the truck to actually roll over.

Do they absorb impact in a collision and "crumple" as the factory bumper is designed to do? No.
Do they offer equal ground level protection at the front wheel as the factory bumper? Most I have seen do not.

Would I like to have one to protect against front end damage by impacting a deer, elk or moose at night? Probably.
:winking:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Our F350 hit a black cow at night at 70 mph. The front Ranch Hand Grill Guard took a beating - it was bent all the way into the fender. The fender was also bent, but not as bad as it would have been if it were not for the RHGG.

That said, the weight of the RHGG does put some extra stress and wear on the steering linkage. It also cuts mpg down by one and half mpg.

My wife's F150 got a RHGG after hitting a deer.

However, my 2017 F450 did not get the grill guard. And the wife's 2018 F150 will not get one either. We have decided that the cost of acquisition, loss of mpg, wear and tear on the suspension and steering linkage are not worth it. There really is no difference in a $3000 repair after hitting a cow with RHGG in place and a $8000 repair after hitting a cow with no RHGG. Both cost us the same insurance deductible.

And, I am reluctant to admit, but they do look like hell.

Maybe it might be worth it for a farmer or rancher that drives their trucks like a tank or bulldozer straight through mesquite trees looking for a lost calf.

Otherwise, skip the grill guard.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Lose Control" and "Crash & Burn" are very applicable adjectives to use when describing a full-bore death wobble. Until you have experienced it, you have no idea what it is like.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I have big bumper and big tire... no issue with wearing on parts. If you have to change some parts just get good quality one

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just removed a brush guard off the front of my 2014 Dually 2WD. Probably weighed 100 lbs. I did notice less shake in the truck when hitting bumps on the road. Not necessarily anything to do with front end wobble. But, the truck definitely rides better.

Tom

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes, the weight will cause premature wear and the extra drag will cost about 1.5 to 2.0 mpg.

A friend was driving my truck - that had a brush guard - when he hit a cow. It bent the guard in to the fender and hood bending both. The insurance covered it but the deductible was met with or without the brush guard. I now have a 2017 Super Duty and a 2018 F150 neither or which have brush guards. I'll never install one again.

Some folks think they look cool. Other than that they're pretty worthless unless you're really a rancher that drives straight through mesquite bushes every day all day.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I don't see a big issue with the the big bumpers. Some of us need them but if you don't you can take them off I am sure someone will trade you and give you some cash. I lived on a stretch if road were deer are hit almost daily so needed it to protect frontend.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Heavy bumpers are like snowplows, one should up the front springs to higher spring rates to be on the safe side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts