The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First experience with diesels and trying to figure out whether I should be on a severe duty schedule. My truck is driven 5000 miles per year. Probably 75% will be towing a trailer that weighs about 7000-8000 loaded. But none of it will be in 1000 mile trips that the owners manual talks about. Most will be 200-500 mile tows.

2012 F250 6.7L

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Many people on here used a synthetic oil whether severe duty or not. Use the oil you want that gives you peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
I recommend you follow the severe duty schedule.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, trying to figure out which oil grade to use. It was fleet truck before I bought it. So, I'm guessing that it got standard factory fill (10/30) up to this point, even though it towed a lot. So, going to switch to 5/40 Rotella T6 based on these responses.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
use the oil you desire is the key. All the oils and ratings in the owner's manual are acceptable for the temp range listed. The duty rating is only a suggestion from Ford, not reason for voiding a warranty if not followed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
use the oil you desire is the key. All the oils and ratings in the owner's manual are acceptable for the temp range listed. The duty rating is only a suggestion from Ford, not reason for voiding a warranty if not followed.
I'm out of factory warranty - have 120K on mine. So, longevity is what I'm interested in.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Does your operating conditions include any of the other requirements for severe duty as shown below? If they do, I would run a synthetic or a synthetic blend. In the mainstream oils that I have used (Rotella T6 5W-40, Kendall Super-Dxa 15W-40, Delo 400 LE 5W-40, Delo 400 XLE 10W-30, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 and Motorcraft 10W-30) only the Rotella T6 and Kendall have the Ford specification (WSS-M2C171–E), but obviously all of them meet API CJ-4.

My ranking of those oils are (based upon performance, "noisiness", cost, and availability):

1 - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 (most expensive synthetic, but "best" overall--IMHO)
2 - Kendall Super-Dxa 15W-40 (reasonable synblend, quietest, availability can be spotty)
3 - Delo 400 LE 5W-40 (least expensive synthetic, good performance and noise, available everywhere)
4 - Rotella T6 5W-40 (mid-cost synthetic, noisiest synthetic, good performance and available everywhere)
5 - Delo 400 XLE 10W-30 (least expensive synblend, noisiest synthetic blend, available everywhere)
6 - Motorcraft 10W-30 (expensive conventional, available most everywhere, performance not known)

If you choose to use Delvac 1 ESP, you cannot go wrong with it, but the Kendall is great too. In fact, I do not think any of the oils in the list above are "bad" and all of them will give a long life. Pick one and use it or use all of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts