The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have to say I love my truck...at the moment, it runs like a dream. I initially thought, from reading stories on doing a full delete with programming would alleviate the majority of the worry of owning a 6.4, but I'm finding that's not necessarily the case.
Two issues always creeping up in the back of my mind, are the fuel system (have had 'low fuel pressure' show as a CEL twice now) which could possibly just be the sensor...but who knows? Thankfully, having my Mini Maxx, deleting the code and things work just fine again..up to this point.
Next are the rockers, and the issue of oil/fuel dilution over time, which on some trucks has prematurely worn out the rockers, which is another thing the 6.0 had to deal with. When I was in inquiring about the cost of a full delete, they had 'two' trucks in, having to have the rockers changed out.

I do run a full synthetic, but that's certainly not a cure all, and change out my filters as per Fords requested time period.

Just got back from a 10,200 kilometre trip to Alaska and back, and other than once throwing the 'low fuel pressure' code, it ran perfectly. When this happened I was on flat ground, going about 50 - 55 mph, so it's not like I was pushing it. Oddly, the truck sounded odd (even my wife noticed this) like marbles in a tin can sound....so I shut the truck down, restarted, and it ran just fine. This low fuel issue seems to show it's ugly head (at least the CEL does) every 25 - 30 K, and run perfect in between.
My truck usually is used for long trips these days, and I'd love to have the confidence in knowing all is fine under the hood, especially when I do all the maintenance myself, and on time, which as many know, is somewhat costly.
It keeps me wondering if I should keep the truck or not, as I really don't want to be broke down somewhere thousands of km's from home with a camper in the bed and trailer behind with my 'fun' gear!

Do you have full confidence in your 6.4? I'm currently at just over the 100,000 mile mark on mine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The marbles in a can sound is most likely injectors on the pilot shot, when there isn't much volume requested by your right foot... If you dive into it, that disappears... That said, lubricity is missing from today's fuel, and to counter that you gotta load it yourself.. I'm a big fan of standidine lubricity formula, in the pink bottle... Motorcraft adds cetane, not focussed on lubricity.. you kinda need both, but I place more concern on lubricity, myself.

The cel for low pressure when all else is fine is common with some tunes, and the mighty h&s suffers, too... Update the tuner with the latest tune and see if it continues.. to add to this, and though I've seen zilch data supporting an adaptive curve I've come to believe these things do just that... Which leads me to overwriting your tune with a new one (duplicate) every 5k miles or so... Responsiveness returns, and the trans gets to relearn all over again (it absolutely adapts, documented) from anew instead of based on your past...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ummm...no, though it's been a good truck other than the $10,034 fuel system replacement back Dec '13. We're at 133,000 miles. Spent last summer in Minnesota and about 6 weeks of this summer there. I found out in July that Minnesota, during 2014, dictated B10 or greater in their retail diesel. So, are we killing the fuel system again using B10? Is that what took it down the first time by using fuel we didn't know was greater than B5? I sure don't know.

So my thinking is that we should at least consider a vehicle designed for B20. So we're "shopping". It just takes us awhile to buy, so I'm hoping the truck will last until we can find something we like. It's kinda like floating down a nice scenic river knowing that somewhere along that river it has a large water fall we haven't reached. I'm enjoying the ride, but want to make sure we get out before all heck breaks loose at the water fall. David

·
Registered
212 Posts
Davy, the fuel systems are certainly finicky, but it's reliability can be adjusted for... Better lift pump with more filtration and water separating surface, and low pressure indicator (hfcm doesn't tell you squat)... Quality filters... Lube fuel... Keep it dry...

A hpfp is more than capable of maintaining prime even without the hfcm, but as soon as that prime is broken, such as during a filter swap, it'll crash... I know a guy who ran his truck with his hfcm totally disabled, and did so for several months. Not a good plan, but.... It survived... It's my opinion that three things kill the fuel system more than all other things combined and considered one: they are water in fuel, loss of low pressure (volume) supply and that dang metering valve on the hpfp that can't be changed without swapping entire hpfp... Piezoelectric injectors rarely fail like heiu did... Or even mechanical solenoid did/do... Keep clean supply of fuel heading toward the bowl/hpfp and it'll do fine... Of course, and though it's illegal, I hedge my bets with a sump on the tank...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Davy, the fuel systems are certainly finicky, but it's reliability can be adjusted for... Better lift pump with more filtration and water separating surface, and low pressure indicator (hfcm doesn't tell you squat)... Quality filters... Lube fuel... Keep it dry...

A hpfp is more than capable of maintaining prime even without the hfcm, but as soon as that prime is broken, such as during a filter swap, it'll crash... I know a guy who ran his truck with his hfcm totally disabled, and did so for several months. Not a good plan, but.... It survived... It's my opinion that three things kill the fuel system more than all other things combined and considered one: they are water in fuel, loss of low pressure (volume) supply and that dang metering valve on the hpfp that can't be changed without swapping entire hpfp... Piezoelectric injectors rarely fail like heiu did... Or even mechanical solenoid did/do... Keep clean supply of fuel heading toward the bowl/hpfp and it'll do fine... Of course, and though it's illegal, I hedge my bets with a sump on the tank...

Thanks! David

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well, I have to say I love my truck...at the moment, it runs like a dream. (snipped)
Do you have full confidence in your 6.4? I'm currently at just over the 100,000 mile mark on mine.
The truck I have is not the one I was looking for, but it's what I bought. I love it. I don't know that I would be comfortable again in a single wheel set up. My '08 350 CC DRW has 146,000 miles. 8400 of that was a trip this past May from NC to BC (PG for 2 weeks), then south via Abbotsford to CA, and then home all while towing a 32' 5th wheel RV.

It wasn't until this past Sunday that I had a serious problem: The water pump failed coming home from the mountains of north GA. Initially I poured 3 gallons of coolant in, and then a gallon of distilled water every 25 miles. But it got me home without getting hot again (minmaxx tuner to show digital values).

New pump, added coolant filter, Mishimoto radiator should be here next week.

Yes, I trust mine.

I also have faith in my '99 F250 CC LB. It has 239,000 miles, and has made the same trip to BC, minus the RV. The problem was that the RV made it 500 lbs over GVW. Probably not a problem in most places, but I did get pulled through the scale in Quesnel, BC with the 350.. Oh, yeah.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts