The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great insurance company, rated way above most others. I joined way back when it was for military officers only. Then they added senior NCOs, and eventually added active duty enlisted ranks. Now they've added anyone who received an honorable discharge in the last 12 years.

From www.usaa.com

"... and I am very pleased to announce that USAA is opening membership to include the following:

"Military retirees who served honorably, regardless of when they retired

"Military personnel honorably discharged on or after January 1, 1996

"Widows and widowers of military members killed in action while eligible

"After they join, spouses and children of the above may also be eligible to enjoy the benefits of membership.

"And, USAA membership remains open to active-duty servicemembers, National Guard, Selected Reserve, and officer candidates, as well as members' spouses and children."

If you don't have USAA insurance on your vehicles, look into it if you are eligible. And if you or your parents or your spouse has served their country by wearing the uniform, then you're probably eligible to join USAA.

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
It was better when it was only officers.

I know some of you may get po'd at me for this but one of the reasons they had low rates was that they had low claims. Officers generally are much lower risk because they are better educated than the general public, and if they get involved in DUI or any other criminal activity they throw you out on your can.

Laugh if you but "officer and gentleman" really does hold true as fas as I have seen. yes there are few bad eggs but only a few!

I've had USAA since the 70's! VERY good!!!

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Great insurance company, rated way above most others. I joined way back when it was for military officers only. Then they added senior NCOs, and eventually added active duty enlisted ranks. Now they've added anyone who received an honorable discharge in the last 12 years.

From www.usaa.com

"... and I am very pleased to announce that USAA is opening membership to include the following:

"Military retirees who served honorably, regardless of when they retired

"Military personnel honorably discharged on or after January 1, 1996

"Widows and widowers of military members killed in action while eligible

"After they join, spouses and children of the above may also be eligible to enjoy the benefits of membership.

"And, USAA membership remains open to active-duty servicemembers, National Guard, Selected Reserve, and officer candidates, as well as members' spouses and children."

If you don't have USAA insurance on your vehicles, look into it if you are eligible. And if you or your parents or your spouse has served their country by wearing the uniform, then you're probably eligible to join USAA.
They are great to deal with on the repair end also...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have been insured with USAA since I was 16 years of age. I have no complaints on the insurance side of the company. However, basing my experience with the insurance side I recently got my mortgage through USAA Federal Savings Bank. As it turned out, that was the worst mistake I have made when it comes to trusting a financial company. It started with an incompentent account representative that admitted lying to me and to date the company has done zero to make it right. I plan on leaving the company as soon as practical but I cannot decide whether to keep the auto and home insurance or find a new company.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have had them for 10+ years. Insurance and banking and fortunately I havent had a problem with them. When the wife hit a Durango in her SHO head on (her fault :() they actually paid up more than what we paid for the car and we was able to buy it back. My full coverage on the truck and liabilitay on the car ( dont drive it much) is only 300 every 6 months. What I dont like about them is they do not insure motorcycles or RVs. The use Progressive as an underwriter for them and they are very expensive. They wanted 130 every month for my Harley, but with AIG I only pay 42 a month. USAA also pays me for my ATM charges and I use my debit card as a credit card and get a percentage back every month.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have USAA for my truck loan and auto insurance. So far so good. I was able to receive the membership because my grandpa was in the military. My dad got it from him and I got it from my dad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a child of a Naval Officer and have had USAA for both of my vehicles as well as renter insurance for my house hold goods for the last 7 yrs.

I have had no claims on either my auto or renters ever... I have a spotless driving record and have drove truck for 20 yrs. and have 2.5 million miles accident free driving experiance, my wife has a spotless driving record for the last 20 yrs, never had a ticket or an accident.

For 7 yrs I was happy with USAA.... However in may of '06 we filed chpt 13 and recently USAA has gone the way of all the other insurance companies and began using credit scores for the rating of policies.

Keep in mind I have paid them on a monthly basis before my due date in full and on time for 7 yrs.

Well they figured because I have bad credit I'm a bad risk they upped both my auto and renters premiums.

My auto only went up about $24 for six month policy how ever my renters went up 105% for one year.

This was not right so I looked around and was able to get the exact same auto insurance from Gieco for $235 less per six month policy then my original premium from USAA.

Now for the renters insurance I got that from them for $10 more than USAA'S new premium... However it was a matter of ethics with me on that because USAA raised my premium because of my credit score, they sent me a letter telling me that and then when I called them about it they told me it went up because I moved to a new state and that is why the premium went up.

Good try however I started the policy while living in Sioux Falls, SD then moved to Salt Lake City, UT it went up a little bit because I moved into a city that had more people living in it then lived in the whole state of South Dakota.... Well my recent move was to Wyoming to a town of 150 souls... and my rate is supposed to go up cause of this..... Wrong....

They were good for a while.. But then got greedy... Now Geico charges me more for the renters then USAA did however they were stright forward with me and told me about their pricing policy from the start....

Just my Two Cents
Mike

·
Registered
605 Posts
Excellent Point

I am a child of a Naval Officer and have had USAA for both of my vehicles as well as renter insurance for my house hold goods for the last 7 yrs.

I have had no claims on either my auto or renters ever... I have a spotless driving record and have drove truck for 20 yrs. and have 2.5 million miles accident free driving experiance, my wife has a spotless driving record for the last 20 yrs, never had a ticket or an accident.

For 7 yrs I was happy with USAA.... However in may of '06 we filed chpt 13 and recently USAA has gone the way of all the other insurance companies and began using credit scores for the rating of policies.

Keep in mind I have paid them on a monthly basis before my due date in full and on time for 7 yrs.

Well they figured because I have bad credit I'm a bad risk they upped both my auto and renters premiums.

My auto only went up about $24 for six month policy how ever my renters went up 105% for one year.

This was not right so I looked around and was able to get the exact same auto insurance from Gieco for $235 less per six month policy then my original premium from USAA.

Now for the renters insurance I got that from them for $10 more than USAA'S new premium... However it was a matter of ethics with me on that because USAA raised my premium because of my credit score, they sent me a letter telling me that and then when I called them about it they told me it went up because I moved to a new state and that is why the premium went up.

Good try however I started the policy while living in Sioux Falls, SD then moved to Salt Lake City, UT it went up a little bit because I moved into a city that had more people living in it then lived in the whole state of South Dakota.... Well my recent move was to Wyoming to a town of 150 souls... and my rate is supposed to go up cause of this..... Wrong....

They were good for a while.. But then got greedy... Now Geico charges me more for the renters then USAA did however they were stright forward with me and told me about their pricing policy from the start....

Just my Two Cents
Mike
I have learned in the last few years that USAA is devaluing loyal customers. I guess it is their way of making better profits. The big problem for me is getting over the fact that I don't think I'll ever be able to trust another bank or insurance company. I am an old dinosaur with the mindset that I thought loyalty meant something to these people....WRONG.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

Just my Two Cents
Mike

And so you see, they were just betting that most customers who have had them for awhile never check rates.

And most never do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been really happy with USAA- my insurance has been through them since as long as I can remember, first as part of my parents' policy and now on my own: truck loan, car insurance, renter's insurance, and MasterCard. Navy Federal FCU tends to have slightly better checking/savings rates though.

Customer service is amazing- when I got my truck the kid I bought her from still owed almost half his loan, and I had no clue what I needed to do to make everything happen, but the service reps patiently talked me through it all...more than once and made it work!! The only not-fun part is that now I have to make loan payments to USAA every month, lol!! (but she's waaay worth it!)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have been a member for 48 years joining while an Aviation Cadet in 59-60. First car insured was a 56 vette. Everytime I call them they treat me like royality. Each year I recieve a small rebate of about 150 dollars plus I am allowed to take a sum each year from subscriber savings that has accumulated over the years. Bottom line is another 350 which I combine with the 150 to help with the insurance bill.

I wouldn't think of dropping USAA. I have the house, trailer and two vehicles insured with them.

They have a full range of financial services including banking, brokerage. etc

I borrowed a few bucks for truck and no one could touch the loan rate plus I had instant approval.

Even it you don't plan on using USAA join if your elgible. It only takes a minute or so.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have been insured with USAA since I was 16 years of age. I have no complaints on the insurance side of the company. However, basing my experience with the insurance side I recently got my mortgage through USAA Federal Savings Bank. As it turned out, that was the worst mistake I have made when it comes to trusting a financial company. It started with an incompentent account representative that admitted lying to me and to date the company has done zero to make it right. I plan on leaving the company as soon as practical but I cannot decide whether to keep the auto and home insurance or find a new company.
I am very sorry you had problems with your mortage loan. If you are saying that USAA won't honor a contract you read and signed I would be very suprised. Some of people that work for USAA are young and not too experienced but contracts that I have seen are generated by computers so there will be no mistake. It is always good to have several people read the contract.

On my recent loan the rep set my payment based on credit life. When the contact arrived I noticed that the credit life was only a few months into the contract and then terminated. This was due to my age. When I asked about they said They would apply the overpayment to principle....there was nothing in the contract..so Wrong Answer. I told them to re-do the contract and get right. They did.

So make sure any verbal agreements are in the contract with any company.

Again I am sorry for your problem.

My advice is to stay with the company.

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
No insult intended!!

I know some of you may get po'd at me for this but one of the reasons they had low rates was that they had low claims. Officers generally are much lower risk because they are better educated than the general public, and if they get involved in DUI or any other criminal activity they throw you out on your can.

Laugh if you but "officer and gentleman" really does hold true as fas as I have seen. yes there are few bad eggs but only a few!

I've had USAA since the 70's! VERY good!!!
If this came off as an insult to enlisted guys my apology, that was not my intent! I've had a lot of good men that were enlisted crew members and they did an honorable job!!!! When I was over there I did not want them saluting me just because I was the officer. I respect ALL that served! Nuff said!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
You have got to love staff who go in and remove posts and edit to protect and cover for members they like :nono::nono::nono:

Could that be a reason this site has gone so far downhill over the years. You have new management, yet the same old staff who have driven away so many quality members and knowledge.

Oh and yep, I expect this post to get removed as well :thdown:

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
My post was changed by ME not them!!

for the record!

When I was over there I did not want them saluting me just because I was the officer. I respect ALL that served! Nuff said!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have had USAA for about 6 years now, and they never have given me any problems, and they have always been straight forward with everything. I have all my insurance through them, and many investment accounts as well.

Recon26

·
Registered
127 Posts
ChuckD- I can't belive that your motorcycle insurance was so high, when I had my crotch rocket a few years ago, my total insurance bill went down almost $10 a month. And then when I totalled it 2 years ago, breaking my back, they paid me more than what it was worth so I could pay the loan off. So hopefully yours is an isolated incident.

Recon26

·
Registered
899 Posts
Well I guess that is the price I have to pay for being too old. I got out in 1964 and now I am stuck with SF. :boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts