The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm itching to order an '06 to replace my '02 that I sold and basically I'm undecided on which seats to get. My '02 had captain's chairs but I'm leaning towards the split bench this time. It'd be helpful to see why others have chosen one over the other.

Thanks!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've had both and comfort wise the captains are great but if you need to haul that extra person around then the bench would be a better bet.

refuse2

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
if you need to haul that extra person around then the bench would be a better bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The extra person can sit in the bed of the truck, captain's seats for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm partial to the captain's chairs. Have them in both the X and F-350, wouldn't go back to the bench.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I like the shallow arm rest console on my split bench. Have captains chairs in the chebby tahoe but the console between the chairs is too deep and everything seems to get lost. I hate to go "clamming" looking for something deep in the console of the chebby tahoe while I'm screaming down the expressway.

The bolsters in the '05 Ford split bench seats make them almost like captains chairs anyway. The only thing I wish Ford would have done was have made the head rests tiltable. Anyone know if and where you can get aftermarket tiltable headrests?

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is my second Ford with captains chairs. I think they are great. I also like the large console. My '97 had a dome lid, not so good. My '05 has a flat lid with clip, much better.

·
Registered
181 Posts
But if yours is like mine it has its fair share of scratches on it but after all it is a truck.

refuse

·
Registered
79 Posts
i had a bench seat in my 01, but have captains in my 05. at first i was unhappy because i was used to resting my arm on the fold down console. i have gotten used to the little armrest that i use now, plus i love the looks of the captains over the bench. and my wife can't sit in the middle anymore and make me look like i am p whipped.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have bench in both my 01 and 05!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get the bench for the extra curricular acctivities /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[ QUOTE ]
Get the bench for the extra curricular acctivities /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks so much for the helpful comments ... it looks as if the captain's chairs are favored about 2 to 1 over the bench seats. This is one of the more difficult decisions to make since I can see the appeal of both. It seems to me that the bench seats are more utilitarian and the captain's chairs are more stylish. I don't have any experience using the folding armrest with the bench seats but it looks like it'd be more comfortable as an arm rest. I'm wondering if my dog might be comfortable in the front with a bench seat ... wearing a seat belt of course. There's no way that she'd fit on a captain's chair.

·
Registered
301 Posts
For the 05 and 06 F250/350 the chairs are actually the same.

You can get the 40/20/40 seating or the captain chairs..........but the seat portion is now the same in boat trucks. This is not like it was years ago with a bench or split bench system.

So the advantages to the "40/20/40" system are:

1. Exact same chairs as captian chairs except you enjoy slightly greater "width" (about 1") because the ultra narrow "almost useless" arm rest is not nailed to the side of the chair.

2. A monster big arm rest in the middle that anybody can use, with storage. This mimicks the design of the current F150 console with the big usefull armrest.

3. An extra "jump" seat in the middle, just in case you need to get that extra person in the truck.

Most dealers in our area make a big mistake by ordering 100% of their trucks with captain chairs, it is rare to find the 40/20/40 in stock..........once you actually "see" they are the exact same chair except "better" even more people would be buying them.

Most people and dealers still think they are split bench systems, they are NOT.

Look at it. Drive it. You will see.

Note: Ford's design for 2007 will completely change for captian chairs and actually copy the current F150, with a full blown console with a real armrest etc. This will correct some of the design flaws of the current captian chairs design. Hopefully they will retain the functionality of the 40/20/40.

There is a major design flaw in the seats to the current F150. You can raise and lower "only" the seat cushion and not the "seat back" like you can in the current 05/06 F250/350's This is one reason so many find the seats in the F150 so uncomfortable; the seat back is too high or too low for most people. When you raise or lower the seats in the F250/350 it all moves as one unit, going wherever you want it too.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
HoustonPerson is almost right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The actual seat part of the 40/20/40 is identical to the seat part of the so-called captain's chairs. Except for those tiny armrests tacked onto the so-called captain's chairs, the backrests are also identical. That's been true since the '99 came out.

So sit in both types in "driving mode" and determine which you'd prefer for a long trip.

I don't like anything interfering with my driving, so I don't use an "arm rest". The tiny little fold-down armrests on the so-called captain's chairs would not be used on the road. The huge fold-down console/armrest of the 40/20/40 would not be used on the road. But for me, the 40/20/40 is more useful overall. So that's what I ordered.

I say "so-called" captains chairs because the current design is a cheap substitute for the real thing. I had real FlexSteel Captain's Chairs in my '77 Chateau E-Van, and they were great. Expensive, but great. Way back then, the two Captains Chairs were about a $1,000 option over the very nice stock Chateau seats. (That would be over $2,000 today.) But the current crop of "free" captains chairs is cheap construction and so so in comfort compared to those.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hotties/gf/wifey can't sit next to you and do unmentionable things with the captains chairs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

... and since I'm already in the minority here, let me also say that I think buying the leather was a mistake. It looks nice, but isn't nearly as comfortable on long trips. It doesn't breath well.

Take a look at long haul truck seats,... even in most of the expensive semi/custom trucks, they use cloth seats.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah that is what I ordered too; the 40/20/40.....it just seemed so much better overall.

One of the seating advantages of the F250 over the F150 is that we can can actually squeeze 7 people in the truck and the F150 only 5 (our wakeboard trips)..........sometimes that can prevent taking an extra car for trips. Those few extra inches inside the cab and the 40/20/40 make a big difference..........yes some of them are skinny people LOL

BTW, the 40/20/40 in the F150 really does not work IMO, unless you weigh less than 50 lbs and 3'5" tall.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think CAKE put it best...Bench seats for me...

Stickshifts and safetybelts,
Bucket seats have all got to go.
When we're driving in the car,
It makes my baby seem so far.
I need you here with me,
Not way over in a bucket seat.
I need you to be here with me,
But when we're driving in my Malibu,
It's easy to get right next to you.
I say, "Baby, scoot over, please."
And then she's right there next to me.
I need you here with me,

Well a lot of good cars are Japanese.
But when we're driving far,
I need my baby,
I need my baby next to me.

Well, stickshifts and safetybelts,
Bucket seats have all got to go.
When we're driving in the car,
It makes my baby seem so far.
I need you here with me,

·
Registered
108 Posts
I gotta agree with atkinsr, The leather has alot to be desired on long trips. Now the Companies 2001 F350 CC has "Captain's Chairs" but my 2002 has the "40-20-40". I thought I would be dissapointed with the "40-20-40", but as others have mentioned I've noticed no difference between the two during actual road trips. The big diff IMO is the storage available and the extra "jump" seat, (My grand daughter is convinced I got that just for her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). My wife literally hates these seats, PERIOD!! For some reason she cannot get comfortable and on long trips complains unless she has 3 pillows and some "bean bag" contraption. Maybe she's just too short. Unfortunately I feel obligated to take her with me when traveling so I gotta listen to it. The seats suit me fine, it's her that rubs me the wrong way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif. Hope she never she's this post. bOOmer

·
Registered
248 Posts
88 Crew Stick and bench vinyl
04 Crew Stick and 40/20/40 Bench Leather with heat
06 Crew Auto and 40/20/40 Bench Leather with heat
Thinking about 40/20/40 Bench Leather with heat for the rear too.
EDWARD
P.S. Recent run Phoenix to So Cal into the sun 117 outside and still comfortable Black Truck with Sunroof and Grey Leather.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HoustonPerson,
I think you've made some excellent points and my next truck will have the split bench seat in front. I liked the captain's chairs in my '02 but the arm rest was next to useless for my geometry ... not sure if I have long arms or short arms but I rarely used it since it wasn't comfortable. For me, lumbar support is crucial and my '02 seats were great in that respect. Since you've mentioned that the two styles are fundamentally the same I think I'll go with the minority (the voting is close though) and order the bench seat.

Thanks EVERYONE for your thoughtful and insightful comments. This board continues to be an invaluable source of information.

P.S. Smokey, I would normally take a test drive but the three local Ford dealers know that I won't buy from them so they have no interest in helping me out (it's understandable). I bought my last truck through Bobby Williams and will be doing the same for my '06.

·
Registered
133 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hotties/gf/wifey can't sit next to you and do unmentionable things with the captains chairs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

put plain and simple...even the highway cuddle becomes obsolete with the captains plus the bench arm rest is unmatchable

1 - 20 of 30 Posts