The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Dome lights will not turn off. They stay on all the time until the battery saver relay turns them off once the truck ignition has been off for quite some time. The entire time i drive they stay on.

The panel dim switch is not in the possition that turns the dome light on. And when i unplug the panel dim switch the dome light still stays on.

I thought it was the door latch sensors. But i have cut both passenger door sensor wires and it still stays on. The driver rear door I dont think the sensor is bad because after leaving the truck sit all night i can come out and open the rear door and the dome light comes back on. So that tells me the sensor is functioning the way it should.
The driver door sensor i know if functioning correctly because when i open it the buzzer sounds for the keys or headlights.

What could be causing this issue? Any suggestions of how to fix it? It is generally dark when i go to work and when i come home and both dome lights being on makes it very difficult to see to drive. Especially to back out of the driveway.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
most likely it will be your VSM (vehicle security module) you have to buy it from ford (did not found elsewhere to buy it yet) and the new vsm as to be programmed by ford

you can try removing the fuse 19 and 102 for couple hours. sometime it kinda reset the VSM (worked for me)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an XL, non power locks nor windows, and no alarm system, are you sure it has a VSM?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Dome Light Wont turn off

Nop lol

Forgot about the xl and just realize yours is a 99. If you remove the panel under the radio, the vsm should be the with 3 connectors to it (gray, green and blue) but maybe someone will shim in with the confirmation if you have one or not.

If you checked all door adjar switch, i would check the relay make sure it work and if you dont have the vsm my next bet would be your cluster. But i would wait confirmation from another member as im not familiar whit the 99 electronic

On edit: do you have fuse 19 and 102?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i will check for fuses when i get off work. Also i will pull relay and replace and see if i can hear it clicking on removal and replacement. Maybe the relay is just fused closed. that would make for an easy fix.

This is unrelated, i think, but ever since i have owned the vehicle the map lights have never worked. I changed bulbs and still nothing. I have no voltage at them. Anyone have any thoughts on that one too?

Does anyone make a replacement for the door adjar switch? I have done the WD40 trick countless times on both passenger doors. And they still dont work. Hence why they now have the wiring cut. I would like to replace them so when i open the passenger door the dome light comes on.

·
Super Moderator
26,503 Posts
Interior lights are a GEM function on a 99-01 truck, which doesn't have a VSM. That was the GEM replacement starting in '02.

How's your windshield? A leak onto the GEM or fusebox can cause weird stuff to happen.

That issue seems to be rearing it's head (again) with some recent posts.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Interior lights are a GEM function on a 99-01 truck, which doesn't have a VSM. That was the GEM replacement starting in '02.

How's your windshield? A leak onto the GEM or fusebox can cause weird stuff to happen.

That issue seems to be rearing it's head (again) with some recent posts.

So 99-01 GEM and 02-???? VSM

Is the GEM and VSM have about the same function (just trying to keep learning)

·
Super Moderator
26,503 Posts
OK
Class is in session :grin2:

1999-2001 Modules - Super Duty
overhead trip computer (OTC) (optional)
electronic crash sensor (ECS) module
parking aid module (optional)
generic electronic module (GEM)
4-wheel anti-lock brake (4WABS) control module (optional)
rear anti-lock brake control module
powertrain control module (PCM)
auxiliary powertrain control module (APCM) (optional)

GEM controlled functions
4-wheel drive functions
front and rear wiper/washer
warning chimes
keyless entry
interior and exterior lamps
power windows

2002 and later Modules - Super Duty
restraint control (RCM) module
vehicle security module
4-wheel drive (4WD) control module
air suspension control module (optional)
instrument cluster

The VSM controlled systems:
remote keyless entry (including panic feature)
computer-operated locks
autolamp
keypad keyless entry (Excursion only)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so. Pulling fuse 4 or 14 turns dome light off. I do not have a 102 my fuses stop at 40.
I have a new windshield. I had a windshield leak about a year ago and water got into gem and and truck wouldn't turn of even with ignition of it kept running. I pulled it out dried it out. Got a new windshield put in. Put everything back together and never had a problem since and that was a year ago. We did not have rain the night this happened so its not water intrusion.
Now maybe the GEM just decided to freak out.
If I pull the blue relay the lights go out. When I put it back in I hear it click to latch so the relay isng fused latched.
For now I'm leaving fuse 14 out to keep them off.
Is there a way to determine if the GEM is the culprit?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I would probably take the GEM out again and make sure its dry with no water/ humidity around where its install.

But if you can test it... No clue sorry

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
OK
Class is in session :grin2:

1999-2001 Modules - Super Duty
electronic crash sensor (ECS) module
generic electronic module (GEM)
rear anti-lock brake control module

GEM controlled functions
4-wheel drive functions
front and rear wiper/washer
warning chimes
keyless entry
interior and exterior lamps
power windows

2002 and later Modules - Super Duty
restraint control (RCM) module
vehicle security module
4-wheel drive (4WD) control module
air suspension control module (optional)
instrument cluster

The VSM controlled systems:
remote keyless entry (including panic feature)
computer-operated locks
autolamp
keypad keyless entry (Excursion only)

Thank you very much for this. Really appreciate the time you took to explain.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The windshield is not leaking at all now and we didnt have any rain for a week prior to this happening. So I really dont think it has water in it. Not saying its not bad, but if it isnt i dont think its wet inside i think something just decided to quit working. Possibly from prior water damage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts