The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to replace one of their door check straps? Rock Auto has them at a fair price and the description of it states that installation is easy. Looks to me like you'll have to remove the entire door inside dress panel (with the arm rest and window switches) completely to do this. Has anyone replaced this part and just how "easy" is it really? Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
26,504 Posts
Removing the door inside trim isn't hard (at least on 99-05 or so trucks). The trick is to remove the "sail" inside of where the mirror mounts (just pulls off), remove the top forward part of the arm rest (also just pulls off), and the reflector on the lower rear portion. On those latter two spots that will reveal bolts that need to be removed. If you have manual crank mirrors, pull the cover off the crank to reveal and remove the screw holding the crank to the shaft. Then just pull up on the panel and lift it off. Yours is probably very similar.

When you mentioned door check strap, I thought of "Shemya Door" which is a condition that happens out on the Aleutian island of Shemya https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shemya (motto: "It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here") where the wind catches the door and folds it forward to the fender. Any vehicle that gets shipped out there gets additional brackets and straps to help the original door check strap keep that from happening.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks KL...you're probably right...a neighbor has an F150, 2008, and he just told me the same thing. He also said there are some good youtube videos on how to do this....and that's my next stop! Thanks for the info...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts