The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am lookig for some help on disconnecting the door chimes on my 99 SD. Point me in the right direction if you would.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You mean to disable it when the keys are in right?

If so, just spend the couple of minutes to remove the lock cylinder from the steering column and remove and tape off the wire that is plugged into the ignition. It provides the ground to the GEM that tells it when a key is inserted.

All you need is the key and a punch (or long slender screw driver) to remove it. Do a search in the archives to find the exact procedure.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jetskier.

Can someone that knows how to do a search and actualy get the results they were looking for please post me a link? I have tried and tried and found everything but disconnecting door chimes.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Try this.... search results....

[ QUOTE ]
Sageair wrote....

Actually you don't have to cut any wires, there is another method to defeat the door dinger. Looking underneath your steering column directly beneath the ignition lock you will see three holes. Turn the key to on but do not start the engine. Push a paper clip or similiar object into the middle hole while maintaining outward pressure on the ignition lock. The lock will slide out. You will find a silver plate with electrical contacts on the ignition tumbler. Place a piece of electrical tape on those contacts and push the assembly back into place. Voila your done.

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Jetskier! I can't take that ding any more!

·
Registered
639 Posts
As you can see i was the poster of that procedure. I'm not sure if the setup on your 99 is the same as the 03 for which i wrote that procedure but I still have a 99 I can check if you need help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, the 99 is the same I guess because it came out as you described. A bit of electrical tape shut that thing right up.

Thanks again.
Eston

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is AWESOME!!! What else does this diable?

- Haubeil

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well I tried everything possible suggested and my ding-proof 10/2001 truck STILL dings! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

All left I could do is remove or cut the wire to the dinger but I like the reminder for when I leave the light on - just not when I have the doors open (and the music on).

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
All left I could do is remove or cut the wire to the dinger

[/ QUOTE ]

The dinger is soldered on the GEM circuit board so cutting the wire for it is difficult. You'd need to unsolder it completely from the board.

If the tape is not working for you, see if you can unplug the wire on the back outer casing of the ignition cylinder. You have to remove the screws that hold the lower column trim to see it. You still have to remove the lock cylinder to unclip it.

A non destructive method is as follows... If I want my doors open and have the radio busting out tunes, I just flip the driver door latch to think the door is closed. When I'm done cutting a rug, I just remove my key and stick it in the door latch where the stud normal resides and the squeeze the door lever while pulling the key through the jaws to open them up.

·
Registered
618 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
If the tape is not working for you, see if you can unplug the wire on the back outer casing of the ignition cylinder. You have to remove the screws that hold the lower column trim to see it. You still have to remove the lock cylinder to unclip it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that with no success (still dinging). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A non destructive method is as follows... If I want my doors open and have the radio busting out tunes, I just flip the driver door latch to think the door is closed. When I'm done cutting a rug, I just remove my key and stick it in the door latch where the stud normal resides and the squeeze the door lever while pulling the key through the jaws to open them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I'm doing now.

Thanks for your input though!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I tried that with no success (still dinging). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember right, you can turn off the key in dinger with a WDS or NGS. That is, of course, if you can get a hold of one or have it done cheaply by the dealer. It is a 5 minute job if you are familiar with the NGS. It is located under Service Bay Function-->GEM-->"99-01 F-SERIES S-DUTY."-->"Manufacturer Options"-->"Key-in Warning"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts