The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear door driver's side of my 2017 F450 is indicating that it is open (ajar) but it's not. It is keeping the power running board from retracting.

Is this a latch issue? Does the latch have a sensor that has somehow worn out - with very nominal use I might add.

Thank you for your recommendations.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I searched for other threads on this subject and found a suggestion to spray some brake clean on the latch. On the way to the auto parts store the running boards retracted and the door open warning went away. I'll give it a few days to see if the problem returns.

Until then, happy trails and happy motoring to all of you.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Spraying Brakleen is not a wise choice. It attacks plastics - the latch and surrounding parts contain plastic. A lot.

Reactions: Phillippeterson

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the doctor. I really appreciate that you took the time to write. I will definitely heed your advice and not destroy some of the plastics on my truck. I will look for some other way to handle the situation when I need to. But, fingers crossed, it will stay working like it did yesterday.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It could be the micro switch failing in the door latch assembly. Hook up Forscan and look for codes in that control module. You can also watch the micro switch status in Forscan. If its shotty or intermittent, Id start by looking at the wiring in the door jamb and if that looks cool, proceed to removing door latch mechanism and maybe try cleaning the micro switch contacts with a good electrical cleaner spray. If you still have intermittent issues, go ahead and replace the latch assembly or see if you can buy the micro switch by itself.

When you drive around in 20 year old VW jettas, you tend to get a lot of practice with door ajar alarms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts