The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The door seal mod of using 3/8" OD rubber latex tubing on the inside door seals to minimize air noise really works. In fact, it eliminated a hugh percent of the road noise such as big trucks passing, ect..IMO, on the interstate.

Do a search on others who have done this mod and the procedure used. I would not hestiate to do it again and rate it as the best single mod I have done so far.

Thanks to everyone and this great forum for their help!

Mike

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Awesome, I have yet to find Latex tubing though, just poly. Who carries it?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I've seen it at almost every big Ace Hardware store I've gone into. I got mine thru work at a Industrial supply hose. Rich

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Latex tubing is soft isn't it? Was it hard to push into the weather seals?
EDIT: I just read Cmonster's post in another catagory. He said he removed his weatherstriping to install the tubing! Eh? You guys do that also? Is it glued or stick pinned on?

·
Registered
345 Posts
someone please post a link here for this mod....i wanna do it but didnt find much on it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Please post the link...I would like to see this.

Are we referring to Extended Cabs, Regular Cabs, Crew Cabs?

All the above?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got mine at Lowes. Home Depot carries it also. About $1.45 per foot. Believe I bought about 55 feet for my crew cab.

Took the seals off, lubricated inside the seals with soapy water, lubricated the tubing with soapy water, fished a HD trimmer line through first, taped the line to the latex tubing with electrical tape and pulled it through each door seal.

There were no problems with the seals on my crew cab. However I understand from some of the other posts some door seals have to be cut to remove internal blockages. Mine had none.

Took about an hour to do all four doors. Try a search on latex and see how others have done it. Some people have used foam backer rod which is cheaper and other materials. All doors close with that same sound as a high end expensive car. I did have to adjust my driver's door pin as it was too snug when I finished.

Before you try this, do a search and read what others have done to accomplish this. I am HIGHLY satisfied.

Mike

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I agree with you. I did the same mod but I used the silicone 3/8 tubbing. I purchased a roll of it from usplastics.com. Fishing it through was easy if you have an electricians snake and a bunch of soapy water. At first the doors required a little more force than I had hoped for. But now, 8 months later, they close perfect. Just like a solid sedan.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
someone please post a link here for this mod....i wanna do it but didnt find much on it

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a couple of older posts

Mark

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yep!! It works pretty well!!! I have not finished it yet, but just doing the part between the front / rear doors ( ext cab ) REALLY helped!!!!

Great / Cheap mod!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The silcone tubing might work better than latex in terms of durability. I could not find any, hence, I used 3/8" OD latex tubing based on what others had used successfully. Time will tell how it holds up.

Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am sorry to ask this stupid question, but do you have to remove the rubber trim to fish the tubing inside it? and if you do how do you remove the rubber trim as not to destroy it. i thought i would get these answered before i start. thanks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome, I have yet to find Latex tubing though, just poly. Who carries it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I went with silicone tubing when I did mine. Whatever material you choose, you can probably find what you need at McMaster-Carr.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The trim needs to be removed. It just puls right off. You need to keep it straight so you can pull the tubing through. Check the post links mentioned above to read more on the procedure.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I'm going to do this mod in the near future.

What I've gathered is that:

Silicone tubing is best? (this is the black tubing correct?)

I'll need about 45' for my SC.

And there is NO way to decide if I need 1/4" or 3/8" w/o trying it first.

Is this all correct?

Tks.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I used the 3/8" and I think I bought 100' for my CC. Cost my 39.33 to the door. You can measure the mouldings on the ft and rear doors and multiply by 2. The tubing was clear/white in color. The OD is 3/8" not I.D. That;s important when you buy the stuff. Part # 54033 at USPlastics

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
You got a great deal. It is now $69/100 feet of 1/4" i.d., 3/8" o.d. silicon tubing at www.USPlastic.com Or perhaps you only got 50'

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used the 3/8 latex tubing. Got it at Lowes for about $75 for a brand new 50' roll. It stretches some, so that was enough. Many people use the silicone tubing. It is much less expensive and easier to pull through. From what I've read, those who live in cold weather have had issues with it being less than pliable on cold days. Others have said it begins to crush and lose its ability to rebound. A few people found that it was too big and unforgiving and had a hard time getting their doors to latch.
The weather stripping pulls right off the pinch weld, but you must remove the plastic floorboard. It covers the seam. Just mark where the seam is, it makes it easier to put back on. I pulled the tubing through with a fish tape and used A LOT of soapy water. It didn't all pull as easily as I hoped, but wasn't much of a problem. Still did the whole thing in about an hour.
I have figured out that it's only the extended cabs that have blockage, usually in the corners, and it can be removed with a small out of the way knife slit in the back somewhere. There were no blocks in my crew cab.
That is about all the accumulated knowledge I have gathered from the forums. Hope it helps. Pm if there is anything else I might be able to answer for you.
Jim

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to do this mod in the near future.

What I've gathered is that:

Silicone tubing is best? (this is the black tubing correct?)

I'll need about 45' for my SC.

And there is NO way to decide if I need 1/4" or 3/8" w/o trying it first.

Is this all correct?

Tks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Silicone tubing will most likely be a milky white color/ clear. You can get it at McMaster Car (think that's the way you spell it) pretty cheap but I believe you have to buy 50ft at a time. I have around 34ft and will see how much that does on my SC this weekend. I have the 3/8in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Home Depot, Latex, 3/8" outside diameter, 1/4" inside diameter, 10' roll. There are numbers on the product's tag, first one is under the bar code and it reads 48643 17885 4; the second number is on the upper lefthand corner of the tag, and it says 42146318.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts