The Diesel Stop banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Make a small incision on the underside of the seal at one end of the obstruction and pull it out. Mine was stapled in place, so it took a fair pull to get them out.
jgr

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tackled this mod today. Had less than an hour invested start to finish by myself. I went with the baby powder method as it's in the low 20's here today.

Removed door seals one at a time. With a small funnel, poured ample baby powder down each end and gently shook the seal to coat inside. You'll know you used enough powder if all the way along the seal, powder comes out the weep holes. The extended cabs have a 12" piece of foam tubing about half way through (when the seal is on the truck, it's located on top where the two doors meet). On the first seal I ran a 12' fiberglass fishtape rod from the middle where the foam is through a weep hole, out to an end. Taped the silicone tubing on with elec. tape and pulled it right through. On the second seal, I found that with plenty of powder dumped in and shook down I was able to push that foam piece out and pull silicone tubing all the way through without much effort (used a longer rod this time to go all the way). Once both seal were done, took them outside and shook out as much powder as I could, wiped them off and re-installed. Quick and easy mod! The doors seem to close a little firmer now. I do not notice hard closing as others have experienced. A road test later today will be in order.

Bought the silicone tubing from www.usplastic.com
Item # 54033 silicone tubing 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD
.69/foot
I bought 40 feet with shipping cost me $35.33
40' is way more than I needed for my extended cab.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Search e bay for 1/4" rubber tubing. $20 to your door for 50' of Latex tubing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Soap or baby powder, it will all work well. That is really a bargin on latex tubing, if it is a good quality.

In reflection, if I had it to do over, I would not stretch it as much. I ended up with a couple of doors 3/4" short after it retracted inside the seals. But no adverse effect.

IMO, this is a very worthwhile mod. I continue to be amazed at how much engine noise it reduces.

Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
With the mod done and a test drive behind me - all I can say is WOW, what a difference. Zero wind noise, and much less road/engine noise.

Should have done this mod from day one!

·
Registered
350 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Should have done this mod from day one!

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I just did mine today. Had over 10' left over and even did the piece between the doors of the extended cab. The latex is very high quality and went in with a little prodding and pokeing.

DZ

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've read this entire thread and have an idea. What if a person were to use braided 5/16 inch nylon rope instead? It would pull through easily, crush somewhat and never rot. Would it possibly cause an even better seal as it isn't hollow?
Dave Nowlin

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not sure about the nylon rope. It might get very hard during cold tempertures.

I have been thinking why this mod worked so well for me. It could be the latex tubing creates dead air space between it and the OE door seal, Dead air space is a great insulator, much like multiple thermal window paynes or dead air space in a thermos bottle.

Mike (Formerly MIKETEC)

·
Registered
766 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure about the nylon rope. It might get very hard during cold tempertures.

I have been thinking why this mod worked so well for me. It could be the latex tubing creates dead air space between it and the OE door seal, Dead air space is a great insulator, much like multiple thermal window paynes or dead air space in a thermos bottle.

Mike (Formerly MIKETEC)

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing i noticed about this thread is most of the trucks are pre 04/05.Why aren't guys with 04 on up doing this mod.

I was thinking of doing this to my 05 but if theres nothing to gain why do it.Were the seals changed on the newer trucks ???Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did it on my 06 CC, works great for me!

·
Registered
766 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Did it on my 06 CC, works great for me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats good to hear.I guess i'm used to the noise.So i might give this a try and see if theres a difference.Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just did it on my '06. It worked well but now I just hear the noise coming thru all the other places. (firewall, backseat floor, etc)

·
Registered
494 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Just did it on my '06. It worked well but now I just hear the noise coming thru all the other places. (firewall, backseat floor, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

Know what you mean. It quieten mine down inside so much I can sometimes hear a slight whistle when heading into the wind at a certain angle/direction. Believe it is the radio antenna but not sure.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just got a 7.3 and this helped alot. Didn't measure it but had 10' left over. Said it was 50' used the fish tape the ran string through and hooked the string to my hitch. Pulled the rubber tight and went right through no fuss no lube.
I want to thank all of yall that commented on this post for the info and help.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I installed the surgical tubing in mine a few years ago. It worked for a while. I have since put on a lot of miles (daily driver) on the truck. The door seals have split. I am replacing all 4 doors in the spring with new door shells and gaskets from white bear lake ford. The doors are rotted at the bottom and I am tired of the noise. Going to repaint this truck. Not buying another.

Reactions: Big Tweed

·
Registered
494 Posts
Follow-up:
It has been about 15 years since I started this thread and this mod is still working fine. Tubing is still holding up well. Back in 2006, I bought mine from Lowes. Do not know if they still stock it. It was light brown not black. This is a very worthwhile mod and still gets rid of any wind noise and helps with reducing cabin sound from the engine.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I thought I had read most every thread from the archives but not this great modification.
Thanks very much for reviving it 👍

·
Registered
280 Posts
I took the door latch strikers off and modified the bolt holes so I can adjust them laterally. Allowed me to pull the doors in tighter which fixed the noise issue, but also set the doors flush to the body.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You are welcome, ArcticDriver. Thanks for all your loyal help and support for this forum through the years. We do not give enough credit to faithful folks like you, RT, Klhansen, Ford Doctor, and countless others who go un-thanked for all they do and contribute.

I think the reason my door seal mod has been so effective is the quality of the rubber. It is still as flexible as the day I bought it 15 years ago. Lots of door closing and hard pulling miles. I do try to keep silicone dressing all the factory truck door seals when I wash and clean up my truck. Getting harder to do as time rolls by.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts