The Diesel Stop banner

Door Seal Mod

21K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Maryland dieselnick 
#1 ·
I've been getting quite a few requests for info on what the door seal mod is and how to do it. Basically, it is a way to improve the factory door seals against wind noise and rattling. There is a write-up in the tech folder but I'm also adding this video to hopefully provide more information.

#3 ·
That was great!

Thank you for the video, makes it so much easier once I have a visual. I'm on it tomorrow!:thumbsup:

#6 ·
Sorry guys for the slow response. The tubing is 3/8 inch outer diameter. I don't know for sure on the wall thickness, I never specified it. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot, you can find plenty of the right stuff. They however are about twice the price of online resellers. Just Google surgical tubing and you'll find plenty of options.

#9 ·
I did mine. Didnt notice any road noise difference. It did stop the lovely air noise by my head on the driver door. BUT... The rear doors wouldnt even shut with this mod. Mine are very tight to begin with so I had to take it out. My passenger side door doesnt shut well now. I will be removing all but the a pilar section and about 12 inches afterwards so that I will only have a section of tubing in that door.

#10 ·
There was someone else who complained that the doors were too tight recently. I'm pretty sure that was on a 2011 though which makes sense. This is the first time I've heard of a door not being able to close. That's pretty severe.

My own experience is different and I've been very happy with the mod on all my trucks. It made very noticeable improvements in door rattling, wind and road noise abatement, and lessening the acoustic impact from a slammed door. Clearly it's a function of how bad your door seals are to begin with so if you're doing this on a newer vehicle, you will notice less of an improvement. Having said that, if you do the newer truck, the seals will never fail with the mod. You can enjoy solid and quiet doors for the life of the truck.

#13 ·
Just did this on my '00, doors seal very nice now. Also, I used 3/8" foam backer rod from Lowes; total for ext cab...$8.

Scott

#14 ·
Okay, I tried doing this mod today, and I end up pretty much destroying my drivers door seal. When I tried doing it, I used a bunch of WD-40 as the lube and the latex tubing kept getting hung up. It went nothing like how easy it went in the how to video. I ended up tearing a hole in one of the drain holes from when I kept having to reinsert the fish tape and also both ends of the door seal tore because of my repeated attempts to get the latex tubing through.

I finally got the tubing through, but not without it being streched out inside because it is hung up somewhere. I stopped with the drivers seal and left well enough alone.

My questions are, what is the best lube for the running through the tubing? I noticed silicon was used in the video, is it really the best? Also does anyone know of a vendor besides the dealership who seals new door seals? I could not find any with internet searching and the Ford parts site says the one seal is $78. tia

#17 ·
...It went nothing like how easy it went in the how to video. I ended up tearing a hole in one of the drain holes from when I kept having to reinsert the fish tape and also both ends of the door seal tore because of my repeated attempts to get the latex tubing through.

I finally got the tubing through, but not without it being streched out inside because it is hung up somewhere. I stopped with the drivers seal and left well enough alone.

My questions are, what is the best lube for the running through the tubing? I noticed silicon was used in the video, is it really the best? Also does anyone know of a vendor besides the dealership who seals new door seals? I could not find any with internet searching and the Ford parts site says the one seal is $78. tia
Oh man, sorry it was such a pain. Like others have said, WD40 is more of a cleaner and it evaporates quickly. I wonder if it is also absorbed into the rubber itself? I like the silicone but I've heard of others who used lots of dish soap to accomplish the same thing. Regardless, sounds like you have something blocking the channel. Maybe a staple or pin or something. It should be as easy as the video. Like my dad always used to say, "If you have to force it, you're doing something wrong."

#18 ·
Reply to fireguywtc...

Try checking out this site... I hope that the link works for ya!

Big Ford Parts Store

Their catalog says $54 from FORD without a markup...
Thanks for the reply, that is a lot better. I am trying a couple of local salvage yards first to see if I can get one cheaper, but that is a good deal.

fordmudder and Epiccowlick, thanks for the replies. It sounds like WD40 was a bad idea. I hope others will learn from my mistake. I knew I was doing something wrong, but persisted. The tape kept giving up about halfway through and I would poor in more WD40 and hope for the best. I bet I used almost half a can. Thats what I get for trying it on a Sunday, I couldn't go into town and get a can of the right lube on a Sunday. I will try again soon with the right stuff and let everyone know how it goes.

#19 ·
I found this deal after getting the part number from the link above. I am going to go out on a limb and try it. Thanks again for all the help. Btw, I did have the seal back in the truck and functional, it just bothers me that it is messed up.

More Information for FAIRCHILD F3043

can't get the rock auto link to work, but enter the part number in the catalog and it is $29.79

part# 3C3Z2520708AA

#21 ·
I found this deal after getting the part number from the link above. I am going to go out on a limb and try it. Thanks again for all the help. Btw, I did have the seal back in the truck and functional, it just bothers me that it is messed up.

More Information for FAIRCHILD F3043

can't get the rock auto link to work, but enter the part number in the catalog and it is $29.79

part# 3C3Z2520708AA
Glad it worked. Kind of a painful process for you but you'll enjoy the quiet doors for a long time.

#22 ·
Hello
The surgical tubing on the internet is $39.00 for 50 feet. At Lowes it is $1.75 per foot. The three eights foam backer rod is $2.75 for 20 feet at Lowes or Home Depot. My question to Green2D is how did you get the foam backer rod through the door seal ? Will 20 feet be enough for one door seal ?

#23 ·
I used the 3/8" foam backer rod from HD myself. I bought one 20 ft pkg per door...didnt use all 20 ft per seal but only a couple of feet extra. I used a steel fish tape and taped the backer rod to it and pulled it through. Did end up using WD40 on it, which helped quite a bit.

#24 ·
Okay, here's my question. I want to do this mod, but I have no steel fish tape. Have no idea what that costs, but I'll bet it costs enough to make the mod almost not worth it. Anyone think it would be possible to push the foam backer through without fish tape? I'm thinking about giving a small pump of grease from my grease gun in the holes in the seal, as well as rubbing some grease on the backer.

#27 ·
Ditto here. Steel fish tape and spray silicone.

#28 ·
Lol, okay, I believe I can handle 6 bucks! Had no idea how much they cost, but I just thought from the looks of the one in the vid it might not be too cheap. I was expectin' like 30 bucks or something. Thanks!

#29 ·
I performed the door seal mod yesterday; My experience; I did the mod by myself and I tried the silicone spray, but it was still difficult. I tried liquid soap, much better and easier. There is a factory piece of 3/8" x 12" black foam in the door seal and if you have a extended cab it is also in the door seal on the vertical jamb of the rear side door. When I was pushing the electricians fish tape through I forced it out. When I was doing the front and rear jamb seal I hit a restriction that I had to fight through. There is also a short piece of factory black foam at the bottom of the front door near the seat. Bottom line; use the liquid soap; I tied the fish tape to my bumper and used ties straps to secure it.

#32 ·
I used a fish tape to pull mine thru and spray cleaner to make it slippery.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.