The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject states, today I had back to back regens. One completed normally and within 5 minutes another started and also completed normally. Both happened at highway speeds (the truck never stopped). I have not seen the drive to clean message ever pop-up and regens have been normal up to this point. The truck has 9K on it and it sees quite a bit of highway miles.

Is this normal or do I have something weird happening?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
To be clear, you were traveling for a long distance? A regen takes about 23 miles to complete from start to finish on a full regen. So you traveled about 23 miles, noticed your fuel mileage increase showing that your regen was over and then another regen started 5 minutes later while traveling another 23 miles? This was without putting your truck in park or shutting down?

Do you have a monitor that you are using?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, correct on all counts. I never stopped driving and yes I noticed the regen start because I had the instant miles per gallon monitor on (plus the message flashed) and about 25 minutes later I saw it stop. Then within five miles or so it started again (including the message). This was over a 120 mile or so time frame. I do have an ODB2 monitor but I did not have it connected.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
What might have happened is this scenario...

You are doing a regen....the temp observed by EGT4 had peaked over 1400 degrees. The regen stopped. Once the temp for EGT4 subsided, the ECU made calculations, it then determined the regen should restart.

may or may not be what happened.....but I have seen a couple regens on my truck stop when the temp for EGT4 exceeded 1400 degrees and then restart.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks or the information! This sounds like a very good reason for me to keep my monitor connected at all times so that I can check and see when these events happen.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are doing a regen....the temp observed by EGT4 had peaked over 1400 degrees...
I forgot to ask--what happens when the EGT4 goes over 1400 degrees and how does that impact the regen?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The truck will stop the regen process. I've seen it happen when pulling long grades with my fifth wheel. I use my Edge to watch my EGT's and if they really start to climb I'll gear down and take my foot out of it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
On my 2015, this behavior with EGT4 started when the truck was 9 months old.

Since that time, it is a pattern that only on every other regeneration, during either normal highway driving not towing, or in stop and go traffic not towing, EGT4 around 3 minutes into regeneration would rapidly soar past 1350 degrees causing the regeneration to immediately abnormally end. Even then, the soot per the ForScan Guage monitor would still keep reducing from 3.55 g/l to around 1.15 g/l. Then, 100 miles later, another regeneration would be started regardless of what the soot levels are at that time. No codes are thrown.

Initially, I logged this issue with my servicing dealer. They called the Ford Hotline and they were told this was 'normal behavior'

I did not accept that as no one else was reporting it, so I requested that my EGT4 sensor be replaced. Replacing the EGT4 sensor did not keep the issue from occurring so I assume this is in the PCM programming.

Later, during buy back negotiations for my 2015 Super Duty that has the regeneration valve jackhammer issue, the settlement manager had a Ford Engineer on the phone with me. That engineer said that the behavior of the EGT4 abnormally ending regenerations was not a normal process. He said they would need my truck for 30 to 45 days to try to figure out what was causing it. My response was you can buy my truck back and test it all you need to to resolve issues that Ford does not understand.

I have continued to live with the 2 problems on my truck that Ford can not fix whereas other people with 2015 Super Duties do not have these issues.

Ford gets a D- on their handling of these 2 issues.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On my 2015, this behavior with EGT4 started when the truck was 9 months old.[...]
Well, I hope it is not the start of something more serious. It is the first time that it has happened, so I will have to wait and see. In the meantime, I will make sure my monitor is connected so that I can see what is happening during the regen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts