The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a DP Tuner setup in my 2000 psd. When the truck is cold or under light use the ebv is working great when I select the break function on my programmer.

Once the truck is under a good load for a while the ebpv is still closing when I select the function but is not closing all the way. Seems to only be closing about 1/2 way. So needless to say when the valve is not closing all the way I can't feel any type of breaking nor do I hear any different note from the exhaust.

I had the turbo off yesterday and installed a wicked wheel 2. I took the ebpv apart and everything looks perfect. The valve closes by hand with zero effort. I took the piston out and the seal looked good and there was no oil leaking. I pulled the solenoid and replaced the two small Orings as they came in the Oring kit I ordered. I also pulled the ebpv sensor and tube. The tube was pretty clogged up so I spent an hour getting everything cleaned up.

To me it seems like once its all warmed up the piston does not have enough pressure to close the valve all the way.

Anyone have some advice they can share? Thanks for the help.
Garrett

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Garrett,

It could be oil leaking by the piston since the viscosity is greatly reduced when warm.

It could also be caused from back pressure. If there is excessive back pressure, we open the valve more so no issues occur. Have you connected a scan tool to the truck and monitored back pressure to confirm it is reading accurate?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Garrett,

It could be oil leaking by the piston since the viscosity is greatly reduced when warm.

It could also be caused from back pressure. If there is excessive back pressure, we open the valve more so no issues occur. Have you connected a scan tool to the truck and monitored back pressure to confirm it is reading accurate?
No I have not hooked up a scan tool. Will one of the apps for an iPhone work? I don't think it would be a back pressure issue as it works great for the first 15 mins or so. When it's working I can hear a strong hiss. When it's not working I can see the valve arm moving but it's not moving to the full closed position. And when it does this I can not feel any hold back at all while driving.

I have zero oil leaking from the piston housing. If the seal was allowing oil to pass by wouldn't I get a lot of oil pouring out from where the control rod exits the housing?

I feel like once the truck is completely warmed up the piston is not applying enough pressure to close the valve or possibly the timing to close the valve is not set long enough??

Like I said this will happen even at idle sitting in the driveway. I would really like to get this solved before next month as I will be towing my toy hauler fully loaded down to pismo and could sure use the braking power going down the pass.

I noticed your in Oakdale. I'm just North in Lodi. Any chance you will be in the area and can take a look anytime soon?

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
No I have not hooked up a scan tool. Will one of the apps for an iPhone work? I don't think it would be a back pressure issue as it works great for the first 15 mins or so. When it's working I can hear a strong hiss. When it's not working I can see the valve arm moving but it's not moving to the full closed position. And when it does this I can not feel any hold back at all while driving.

I have zero oil leaking from the piston housing. If the seal was allowing oil to pass by wouldn't I get a lot of oil pouring out from where the control rod exits the housing?

I feel like once the truck is completely warmed up the piston is not applying enough pressure to close the valve or possibly the timing to close the valve is not set long enough??

Like I said this will happen even at idle sitting in the driveway. I would really like to get this solved before next month as I will be towing my toy hauler fully loaded down to pismo and could sure use the braking power going down the pass.

I noticed your in Oakdale. I'm just North in Lodi. Any chance you will be in the area and can take a look anytime soon?
As long as it has the Ford Enhanced package so 7.3L specific PID's are displayed. You want to watch EBP.

Did you rebuild the piston section when you took it apart? When oil is cold, it has no problem building and holding oil pressure to keep the EBPV activated. As oil gets hotter and thinner, it cannot build and hold oil pressure as well so the valve is not closing as far.

It could also be a low pressure oil pump problem too, since that is where the oil is coming from to activate the EBPV. Do you have a way to monitor that? Same rule applies here. Oil thick oil is easy to build pressure with. Hot thin oil is not.

I do not really head that direction too often. Mostly stay in this area or go east towards the hills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts