The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a DP-tuner but have a few questions. I see there is a 20hp, 40hp, 60hp and 80hp tow programs, how do you know what these programs are used for, ie trailer weight ect.. also do they keep the torque converter locked when you let off the gas when going down a hill, or is that something you have to have added.

Also, I do not have any mods right now as I just bought the truck two weeks ago but I do have an a-pillar 3 gage set coming this week, will I be able to add the DP-tuner now and maybe do some exhaust work and intake work later with out it screwing up the tuner?

How much can the factory tranny take be for you need to worry about upgrading it? the 80HP econ will probably be the only other program I am looking at?

And one final question my 1999 has a Cat on it but I noticed the 99.5 and up don't have a cat, can I just get it hacked out of my 99 with no ill effects?

thanks
Steve

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Best thing to do is call Jody. Dont worry about screwing up the tuner, worry about hurting the motor. Nothing will hurt the chip. As long as you have a pyrometer and keep an eye on the egts than you don't NEED an exhaust, but you will be able to push the truck harder without worrying about egts as much with an exhaust.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Make sure you put the pyro probe in a pre turbo location like the manifold.

I have 40 tow 80, Econo, 120 race, 140 extreme. Jody told me that he likes to lock the torque converter on all the settings so when you let of the accelerator the truck slows down. I told him I only want it on the 40 tow. Their is no additional price to have the torqued converter locked when letting off the gas.

take care,
Andrew

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had the 80 econo pcm with nothing else done but the gauges.i ended up gaining 3mpg highway when i could keep my foot out of it.The only thing i would suggest is to put a wicked wheel in there,I dont tow but acouple times uphill i would get the turbo to surge.
So far my tanny is holding up,until my chip gets here tomorrow then i give acouple weeks before i toast it,Im not easy on it i do drive it like i stoll it.Anyway like Clydesdale said put the gauges in and give Jody a call.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
If I remember the 40 tow is good for loads above 10K, the 80 tow can be used for 5K-10K, and the 80 tow for 5K and under. These are just general numbers, a lot would depend on the size and shape of the load as well as the terrain you are towing in and mods done to the truck. As long as temps stay below 1250 you are good to go. I would add a valvebody to the trans before towing with extra ponies. I have the FTVB and Jody's tunes work great with it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
LOL 40hp for 10k loads LOL I use my 140 for 20k loads 500 miles a week pulling that load for 144k miles on that truck on the 140 pos

·
Registered
172 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
LOL 40hp for 10k loads LOL I use my 140 for 20k loads 500 miles a week pulling that load for 144k miles on that truck on the 140 pos

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you have uncovered the truth about the tow setting on the chip. The tow setting is used to sell more chips and not much else. There is a lot of hype with chip vs programmer and this is one of them. What is the purpose of the tow setting if you still have to watch your gauges????

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I tow 12,000 pounds of toybox up and over the mountains with the 80 econo no problem. I must be at least 20,000lbs GCVW.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have had my egt's get too hot in the 60tow setting, I was pushing it really hard though. 98% of the time I can tow in 60 or 80 with no problems. I tow probably 11/13K

·
Registered
627 Posts
what else have you done to your truck but a chip and gages?????????

I have no problem pulling my loads up hills and every thing I can't do 70 but 55 60 mph I can

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not much besides chip and gauges. I'm getting ready to get a TERMINATOR though so that should help with the better atomization and whot not.

Now that I recall this particular load was about 15K and I was pushing it really hard. Going to CO elk hunting. HUGE mountains.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I tow in the 120 setting and have no EGT issues... I dont care what tune your running if your not watching your gauges your a retarda...LOL

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
i tow in 80 in the summer, no probs.

my personal theory is that those trucks with issues towing in 80 horse setting have intake leaks somewwhere. However, I also believe that MOST trucks have intake leaks somewhere.

and your truck can develop an intake leak. So, it makes a lot of sense to have gaugues when towing with the 80 setting.

if you run the 40 setting, even if you have have a normal small leak in the boots you probably won't have egt issues. But, if you have a bigger leak, you could hurt your engine, just like you could with the stock setting.

so, use egt. tow with what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
First, Jody should be your first source of info on this. Second, I tow 8-10k regularly with the 80 tow. All I have is a set of gauges and an empty cat. I have towed over 15k but the trailer kept me from going over 60mph, not the engine. As for the differences between a tow tune and an econo tune, I remember hearing that the tow tune builds power at lower rpms for help in towing; the econo tune built its power at higher rpms where it's better for higher rpm cruising.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Easy Boy's. I didn't say these were fixed in stone. I am just repeating what has been posted on here before as a guideline. I also said as long as your EGT's stay under 1250 you can tow in the 300HP blow your mind tune, but you better watch your EGT gauge, otherwise why have it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you have uncovered the truth about the tow setting on the chip. The tow setting is used to sell more chips and not much else. There is a lot of hype with chip vs programmer and this is one of them. What is the purpose of the tow setting if you still have to watch your gauges????

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always a good idea to watch your gauges. The lower settings are there to make it easier to keep the EGTs in check (or more difficult to get them too high, rather), and the "tow" designation has different shifting characteristics.

The programmer (generic variety of which I believe you're referring to) has multiple settings for the same reason (but with no change in shifting).

·
Registered
172 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always a good idea to watch your gauges. The lower settings are there to make it easier to keep the EGTs in check (or more difficult to get them too high, rather), and the "tow" designation has different shifting characteristics.

The programmer (generic variety of which I believe you're referring to) has multiple settings for the same reason (but with no change in shifting).

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently Ford does not think that it is a good idea to watch your gauges or they would have include some real gauges in the truck. If you have to buy, install, and watch the gauges with a 40hp TOW mode then why bother?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would install guages even in a stock truck, especially with an auto. I blew my first tranny out of my auto when it was stock with a 18K hay trailer behind it. If I had gauges I would have known it was getting hot and saved myself $500 for a tranny install. On my 6-spd. even in stock with a big load I can get my egt's up to 1250 with a big trailer up a big hill.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts