The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I agree about needing gauges on a stock truck.

My EGT's ran hotter (hottest ever) when my truck was bone stock (with gauges) than it did bone stock except using a Superchip Micro Tuner running the 80hp mode. I easily could hit 1350F pre-turbo towing as delivered from the factory. With the SCMT-80 it was maxing out at about 1250F full throttle with the same load.

I'm still not completely sure why. I suppose higher ICP helped efficiency and maybe better tranny programming.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently Ford does not think that it is a good idea to watch your gauges or they would have include some real gauges in the truck. If you have to buy, install, and watch the gauges with a 40hp TOW mode then why bother?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you actually agreed with that statement, your truck would be bone stock.

The answer to your question: 40 extra HP and better shifting to name a couple of reasons, not to mention the ability to switch tunes on the fly to see which fits your current towing needs and driving style.

·
Registered
172 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

The answer to your question: 40 extra HP and better shifting to name a couple of reasons, not to mention the ability to switch tunes on the fly to see which fits your current towing needs and driving style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never watch the gauges when running empty. When towing "heavy" on max setting I do watch the gauges. My question here is why bother with 40TOW setting and watching the gauges when you can tow at 80-120 and watch the gauges. What is the different?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never watch the gauges when running empty. When towing "heavy" on max setting I do watch the gauges. My question here is why bother with 40TOW setting and watching the gauges when you can tow at 80-120 and watch the gauges. What is the different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every truck is different.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

·
Registered
67 Posts
i tow between 20 - 26k lbs gcw with my 40tow in my 99 and i can still get to 1250* pretty easy. If memory serves i get roughly about 20lbs max boost with the 40tow with the wastegate hooked up.

with stock exhaust and no programming i could get 1300* max EGTs on a long pull.

·
Registered
172 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
i tow between 20 - 26k lbs gcw with my 40tow in my 99 and i can still get to 1250* pretty easy. If memory serves i get roughly about 20lbs max boost with the 40tow with the wastegate hooked up.

with stock exhaust and no programming i could get 1300* max EGTs on a long pull.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my point. When you are pulling max GCW do you want to take your eyes off the road and watch the gauges?? If I'm going to watch the gauges then I set it on max setting, otherwise I put it in stock position and watch the road instead. Your motor is not going to burn up in stock setting towing within the GCW, your tranny is another story though.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts