The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent an email to Jody but it looks like he's out until after New Years so I thought I'd post here to see what you all think.

Here's my situation. I've got a 2002 F250 Automatic Transmission CC LB. It is STOCK so far (stock tires too) except for Isspro Pyro, Trans Temp, and Boost gauges on the pillar. It's got 155k on it with the stock transmission. I am planning on doing the 6.0 transmission cooler next, and then would be interested in the F5. I don't plan on doing intake and exhaust.

My heaviest tow load would be a 4-horse GN trailer. We are upgrading from a 2H bumper pull and haven't bought the trailer yet, but I'm assuming fully loaded that should come in around 12k. Possibly 14k. We live in MN so ambient temps while towing aren't particularly high and we don't have much for long steep grades. However, there will be one trip down the Alcan highway with it fully loaded. So not desert temps, but some long steep grades. One grade is 8% at 30 mph for about 2 miles. That one almost got the tranny this fall with the stock truck pulling 8k. Hence the 6.0 cooler install coming up.

Other tow loads would be a 2-place snowmobile trailer, max 2k, and a flatbed of firewood or hay, call it 8k max, but more likely 6k.

So I'm thinking no start, stock, and 1200 high idle, but after that I'm not sure. 60 or 80 for daily driver? What's the main difference there? Would one be better for towing the snowmobiles?

And then 40 or 60 tow? I'll likely be under 13k and not much for hills for most towing, so I was thinking 60 tow. But then if I'm not doing intake and exhaust, and I do have the AK trip I have to do, am I better going with the 40 tow? Is the difference between 60 and 40 tow just less fuel and less power to keep the EGT down? I assume the 40 tow is still a big improvement over stock? I did the Alcan trip this fall with the stock truck pulling 8k and made it fine, but it was a tough pull.

I am on somewhat of a budget so I'd like to keep it to one daily driver and one tow tune if possible, but am willing to add to that if I really need to.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
60 econo is best for highway driving, 80 econo is best for stop and go city driving. For towing, I'd do the 60 tow if it was me. I routinely pull 15k with that and I have to keep checking my mirrors to make sure the trailer is still there. Call Justin if you want to talk to someone now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
60 econo is best for highway driving, 80 econo is best for stop and go city driving. For towing, I'd do the 60 tow if it was me. I routinely pull 15k with that and I have to keep checking my mirrors to make sure the trailer is still there. Call Justin if you want to talk to someone now.
When they say 60 tow for 9-13k, is that trailer weight or combined weight?

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Trailer weight

·
Registered
174 Posts
Highly recommend 6.0 cooler A.S.A.P and I would do both exhaust and intake ..intake is not bad I did the D.I.Y cheap and well worth it ...exhaust heck you can find one $300 well worth it .. I tow my 18,000 GVW 38ft toy hauler in Utah mtns in 80tow just need to watch qauges and down shift and my Trans temp on the freeway in summer 150° DP tunes kick ass

·
Registered
382 Posts
Really happy with my DP Tune
Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts