The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So someone tried to steal the exhaust emissions component from under our truck while we were at a hotel in Huntington WV.

We were on the road from Southern PA to St Louis Friday evening in our 2008 F250 6.4 diesel when we stopped at a Fairfield Inn & Suites around 1:45am. When I came out around 8:30am to get the cooler I noticed something hang down from my truck’s undercarriage and a blue strap. I thought I ran over something the night prior. When I looked closer I saw two bolts on the ground. I crawled underneath and saw cuts in the exhaust just behind and forward of the DPF & Cat. The strap was frayed and a piece was laying on the side. It appears the would-be thieves tried to forcibly remove the package. They also removed the counter balance from the exhaust.

Locals said this event was not uncommon.

A police report was filed and contacted our insurance... no service open until Tuesday (holiday weekend). No rental cars for 2.5 hrs. When the wrecker showed up, he suggested we start it and see if it would run. It did and we secured the skid plate with a strap. A few miles away I purchase bolts to hold up the skid plate and we were on thr road.

I noticed the truck was a little sluggish and noticeable exhaust leak. Also, it wouldn’t enter regen even after 400 miles due to no back pressure.

I eventually found a welder after stopping at a TA service center. The welder came back in and managed to patch 95% of the cuts for $100 cash. The truck immediately went into regen when I got back on the road. I actually got a “drive to clean” message and the “cleaning exhaust filter” message remained for the approx 15 min regen. The power was back up and it seems to be ok.

We made it to St Louis and are heading back to Pa tomorrow. I will get the insurance adjuster to look at it and get it to the dealer. I am going to push for new parts since I had to put 400 miles with no regen and the thieves tried to forcibly remove the package.

What a pain.

OJ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The cuts in the exhaust

Attachments

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The patches to get us on the road. Welder couldn’t access the top of the pipe and the cuts ~50% at the fwd and ~75% at the aft.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We suspect it was meth addicts. Also, when we went out to meet the wrecker, we discovered someone (the perpetrator maybe) had removed the blue strap and it was gone.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

OJ

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
Yep, I remember years ago that there's a big market and money in stolen cat converters. Can't recall if it's the platinum in them or the rebuilding value.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Usually they don't unbolt anything. They just crawl under the truck with a batter operated sawsall and a couple of blades and cut anything in their way.

I'd say that you got off lucky, someone must of disturbed them.

Reactions: LMJD

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I had a new 2016 F550 towed in once where thieves cut the entire aftertreatment filter out of the truck in similar fashion. They cut the down pipe and the tail pipe sides of the connections, the DEF dosing line and all of the harness connections.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
When gas hit record highs a few years ago, people were running out of gas leaving leaving the train station parking lot outside of Toronto after work. Buckets and a drill were used to steel the fuel.....

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am pondering two things:

1. What else might of been damaged if they tied the exhaust to a car and tried to pull it out?

2. What will the repair bill for an OEM cat and DPF?

I am assuming the dealer won’t endorse the weld to maintain the emissions warranty.

OJ

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allstate gave me a check for $2600. Initial estimate is $3100 (minus $500 deductible). If the dealer finds more or the bill goes up, they will cover that.

Off to the dealer

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer estimate came back.... $4600. Allstate will be paying a bit more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The drama continues..... the truck has been at the dealer for a week. They got the parts for their original estimate and now want to replace the muffler and a connecting pipe which adds $2000 to their estimate. The insurance adjuster already reduced their estimate by $300 to $4300, now it climbed again. The dealer claims the hardware is rusted and they will damage the muffler removing it. I question this, I was able to remove a catalytic converter from my 16 y/o focus with 200k using an oxyacetylene torch to remove the hardware. The bolts came out eaily and no damage to any parts. $1500 for the muffler itself!

I think the dealer is taking advantage of the situation.

I am regretting using the dealer.

OJ

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Whenever I have taken a vehicle into a dealer to have them do some work in it they have always came up with a dozen different things that need to be replaced besides the work that they were suppose to do.

Perhaps that is why people call them "Stealer Ships"

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whenever I have taken a vehicle into a dealer to have them do some work in it they have always came up with a dozen different things that need to be replaced besides the work that they were suppose to do.

Perhaps that is why people call them "Stealer Ships"
Yea, that statement applies. I tend to avoid them for the most part, but figured this would of been cut-&-dry with a specific claim.

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
I think the dealer is taking advantage of the situation.
Sounds like it, I've managed to save many stuck, rusted, froze up exhaust components over the years without destroying a piece that needed saving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts