The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Early 1999 f350 cc, srw, 4x4. Pretty much stock no gauges.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 350 with the 4r100 transmission. It's 4x4 and asking if anyone knows the fluid capacity after just a transmission oil drain plug drain and fill. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
15,211 Posts
8.00 quarts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
I always needed nine quarts

·
Premium Member
15,211 Posts
Very strange. I've done hundreds of drops and drains on my truck and friends and family's 4R100. It's always been exactly 8 quarts. Did either of you drain your torque converter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very strange. I've done hundreds of drops and drains on my truck and friends and family's 4R100. It's always been exactly 8 quarts. Did either of you drain your torque converter?
I did not. I put 8 qts in it couldn't see it on the dip stick so added another half and thought that was enough. Then it started bothering me so I bought a measuring bucket and measured it at a little over 9.5 qts and had some spillage.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Like RT, when I just drain the STOCK 4WD pan and refill it takes 8 quarts, repeatedly, and regularly, That puts it mid way on the stick, Cold Quantification when cold , and upper end Hot Quantification when hot Any more than 8 quarts its too high when hot.

Reactions: Philcool

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like RT, when I just drain the STOCK 4WD pan and refill it takes 8 quarts, repeatedly, and regularly, That puts it mid way on the stick, Cold Quantification when cold , and upper end Hot Quantification when hot Any more than 8 quarts its too high when hot.
Yes I've read that and ask questions here and know the people that answered know what they are talking about (thanks for y'alls help by the way) thats why I struggled with adding more fluid for 2 or 3 days. But I knew the was something wrong. This truck gas 456k on it and I've paid close attention to the shifting for 200k expecting problems. That's why I knew it wasn't shifting right with 8.5 qts and measured what came out. I've since added 1.5 qts and it's shifting like it always has again. After reading your reply this morning I checked it again when I got to work. And it is at the top of the H in the hatch mark now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I under stand the HD 4r100 didn't come out until 2006 is this correct?

·
Premium Member
15,211 Posts
Sounds about right. They don’t seem to be available any more though.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Is there a difference between regular and 4x4? I know there is a difference in the filter.

Reactions: Philcool

·
Premium Member
15,211 Posts
I learned the answer to this the hard way. There is a 2WD short pan with a short filter and a 4WD deep pan with a long filter. HOWEVER - all the diesel issue 4R100s use the deep pan - no matter if it is 2WD or 4WD.

Reactions: Greg687

·
Registered
439 Posts
I learned the answer to this the hard way. There is a 2WD short pan with a short filter and a 4WD deep pan with a long filter. HOWEVER - all the diesel issue 4R100s use the deep pan - no matter if it is 2WD or 4WD.
Thanks, so that isn't the reason for the different refill amounts.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Could it be a short transmission dip stick installed into in a 4WD application? That scenario would account for higher volume to marked level. If one has significant shift differences from a pan level differential of 1.5 quarts its not pan volume

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could it be a short transmission dip stick installed into in a 4WD application? That scenario would account for higher volume to marked level. If one has significant shift differences from a pan level differential of 1.5 quarts its not pan volume
At 8 and 8.5 qts I did gave shift problems and couldn't see it on the stick. It wasn't until I got 9.5 in it that I could see it on the stick another .5 to top of H mark after driving for 30 miles. If it was a shorter stick that would put it up into the tube. I was wondering about a larger pan but I think RT cleared that up.

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
There is a 2WD short pan with a short filter and a 4WD deep pan with a long filter. HOWEVER - all the diesel issue 4R100s use the deep pan - no matter if it is 2WD or 4WD.
There was a shallow and deep pan for the E4OD. For the 4R100 Ford used the deep (4x4) pan for all transmissions except the Lightning.

There is only one dipstick. The upper level of the fluid is exactly the same regardless of shallow or deep pan.

A possible reason the amount of fluid varies is that some transmissions may have a torque converter check valve that is leaking some amount. That will allow some fluid to drain out of the torque converter into the pan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There was a shallow and deep pan for the E4OD. For the 4R100 Ford used the deep (4x4) pan for all transmissions except the Lightning.

There is only one dipstick. The upper level of the fluid is exactly the same regardless of shallow or deep pan.

A possible reason the amount of fluid varies is that some transmissions may have a torque converter check valve that is leaking some amount. That will allow some fluid to drain out of the torque converter into the pan.
Ok thank you. I bought the truck in 99 just a couple years after that they had a recall on the torque converter l believe the recall stated the piston was possibly hitting the splines. I got one from Ford replaced it and haven't done anything but maintenance service to the transmission since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts