The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i would like to drain the water separator on the truck. I changed the filters about a month ago and did everything the manual said and ended up getting air in the system after purging and had to take to dealer. So before I do this I wanna be clear on everything. Every one says this is easy and it looks straightforward but I had a few questions. Once I unscrew the plug till I see the oring I will let it drain for 25 seconds as the Manua says but after I drain it do I need to cycle key 6 times to purge? And also does it matter how much fuel is in the tank? If anyone can answer these and tell me exactly how to do this with no problems it would be highly appreciated! Just thought I'd ask now before its to late! Thanks

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
no, you do not need to do the key cycle. If you feel that it will make you more confident you will not have a problem like last time, do the key cycle. It will not harm anything doing it.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Sure, but I don't see any need to drain it that long. a good 10 seconds will let you know if you need to drain more. Drain it into a clear container and let it sit a few minutes to see if any water settles out.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I use glass baby food jars, I drain it till it fills up about 3/4 of the way and then close it up. Cap it and let it sit on a shelf until everything settles. Have yet to get any water in there but there should not be any being I have the diesel site filter system.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use glass baby food jars, I drain it till it fills up about 3/4 of the way and then close it up. Cap it and let it sit on a shelf until everything settles. Have yet to get any water in there but there should not be any being I have the diesel site filter system.
I used a small glass jam jar and it got close to full after about 15 seconds so will use a bigger and wide mouth jar next time. Fuel came out at drain, then at pet cock so ended up spilling some as twin streams were wider than my jar. I checked the jar after it sat over night and no water at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. I am going to to pick up a clear jar to drain it into and I will drain it for about 10 seconds and check

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you like the diesel site filter? And how hard was install and changing filters? I wanna get one but still under warranty

·
Registered
129 Posts
How do you like the diesel site filter? And how hard was install and changing filters? I wanna get one but still under warranty
I think that the Diesel Site Filter/Separator is way overpriced for what you get @ $699. I have been thinking of mounting a Racor Marine Diesel Filter/Separator. It has a Bowl and Petcock on the bottom, and can pass up to 30gph of Fuel. The only advantage to the DS unit is no line splicing necessary. The Racor runs about $125.00, and replacement filters are about the same as the DS.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think that the Diesel Site Filter/Separator is way overpriced for what you get @ $699. I have been thinking of mounting a Racor Marine Diesel Filter/Separator. It has a Bowl and Petcock on the bottom, and can pass up to 30gph of Fuel. The only advantage to the DS unit is no line splicing necessary. The Racor runs about $125.00, and replacement filters are about the same as the DS.
Sorry I disagree with it being overpriced. While it is expensive it is VERY easy to install and has 2 filters. I do not have the ability to splice into the fuel lines or the desire to do so. This is my first diesel ever and I installed the DieselSite filter system in less than 10 minutes. Because of its design I can also completely remove it just as quickly as I added it.

If you plan on keeping the truck long term the cost then becomes very minimal for the protection you get. I know it is not for everyone but the design is great and that does come at a cost.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I left my drain cock out to long. Now I have no fuel coming into the separater.????

How much fuel did you let drain? After closing the drain, have you tried cycling the key?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I ran into town to get new orings. so the hootus was out about an hour.

What o-rings are you replacing? The thing most people neglect is the drain plug which is frequently difficult to open and causes air leak problems. When servicing your fuel filters take the primary filter cap and place it on a bench. Remove the pug and inspect it: it should have two o-rings and one thick square cut seal on the tip. It that is not there, look inside the cap as it is most likely stuck inside. Carefully remove it with a pick and stick it back on the plug. Clean the cap and the plug and before reinserting it into the cap, lubricate all three seals liberally with CLEAN ENGINE OIL. put it in and exercise it a couple of times. Draining your separator will now be easy and not mess up the seals. Do this every time you service the filters.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
i had the DS filters... sold them while they were worth something. they don't do anything that the oem ones do. they will not take out emulsified water from the fuel that's what will get ya.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
i had the DS filters... sold them while they were worth something. they don't do anything that the oem ones do. they will not take out emulsified water from the fuel that's what will get ya.

Absolutely. And that is why for $699 they may as well cost a $1. They make no claim or even mention that this filter will help remove emulsified/dispersed water from your diesel fuel. In fact now that I have taken the time to view the very nice video they provided I can see that the filter elements have no water blocking membrane unlike the genuine Motorcraft filters. Motorcraft calls it "Aquablock" which I believe is present in ALL Power Stroke primary fuel filters. This is that white membrane you see wrapped around the pleats of the filter element which is sometimes on the inside. This membrane is designed to prevent water droplets from passing into the filter media and separating it out for collection. But it does have limitations and no production vehicle has a fuel system that can do it alone 100% or even close. This is where the regular use of a quality fuel additive that is formulated to take the tiny suspended water droplets and make them stick together and form larger droplets that CAN be filtered out by this membrane.

However NO fuel filter will stop large quantities of water being forced through as you might experience if you pick up a few gallons of water on a fill up. It happens people. The only benefit of this Diesel Site filter assembly I can see is that is provides additional filtration and water separation capacity but not necessarily efficiency. In a way it is a little pointless. AH! But it does give everyone here something to post about 'cause it looks fricken cool man! I have said it before; there are a lot of people making a lot of money off of you truck owners.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Did DieselSite actually advertise that their system removes emulsified water??

No, that is why I went and looked. I even stated that and I am surprised than anyone would think that this over priced piece of crap is going to protect their fuel system from dispersed water. It can't.

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
So their filters will not remove the dispersed water nor do they say they will yet people somehow get the idea that they do?? I mean that sounds like a poor choice by a person not doing their research or even understanding the products they are buying.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts