The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Got mine from R1 performance and they rock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just installed EBC 3GD Dimpled and Slotted Rotors with Hawk Pads and Russell Brake Lines, this weekend. Currently experiencing some problems with bleeding, had a problem mounting the Russell lines, still waiting to hear back from Russell's engineer and apparently there is some air trapped in the ABS module. Once I get everything ironed out, I will give a review of what I think.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
FMTRVT has explained, in detail, drilled and slotted rotors on SD trucks a few times on this site. Here is the short version. Slots will help if your brake temps get to 800°. The way most people use their truck they only get to about 500°. Use your nose, if you can smell them you would benefit from some slots. If you can't smell them, any benefit from slots is just wishful thinking.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
That goes against my confidentiality agreement with the company I worked for. Or would you rather see me be unethical and violate the law?

This is a common problem for any of us that work or worked in the industry. We didn't pay for the tests or work; we were the employees of a business that owns what was done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
.... which is why I asked for things like SAE papers that can be freely published (well, with a download fee). Heck, at this point I'd be happy for magazine tests. And no disrespect to you, FMTRVT, but I don't know you from Adam, being a noob here and all. Your previous post in this thread seems well thought out, but then you make a big error like saying that a WRX hoodscoop isn't functional. How do I know you know what you're talking about (you undoubtedly do, but without hard numbers to validate, I'm wary of accepting general statements of fact). So, again, if you do know of any links to publishable hard data on the effects of slotting on brake output, particularly in wet conditions, it'd be greatly appreciated. Engineering white papers would be best, but anything would help. I did find this paper but it is more of a survey than an experimental results paper. Perhaps the references will be useful.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Good luck with those SAE papers. Info that gives a company a technical advantage is never going into an SAE paper. Honestly there are lot of science projects that are never put into papers, and companies for the last decade really have cut back not only on presenting papers but attending the events. The SAE Brake Colloquium is held in the fall and you can read through the presented papers list, past and present.

I've been answering brake questions for years starting about 15-18 years ago on a CompuServe forum. I get no money for this and when I worked for a company I never tried to "sell" their products, and if fact mostly here told people to change from it. There is a lot of misunderstandings out there and many companies use this to sell products that don't improve the situation. Just hate to see people spend money when they don't have to. I spent too much time on the computer as it is here and many other forums, so I really don't plan on pulling references for everything I type. Take me at face value or not.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out my error. I meant to say Outback and just typed in WRX since I guess I just pulled the link. One engineer that worked for me in NJ had a WRX and his mother had an older Outback. Non-working hood scoop. Brain fade about a vehicle I really don't care about.

You can always just put me on ignore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are a touchy one, aren't you?

Again, SAE papers or anything that can be freely published. If you've been doing this for 15-18 years, surely you know of some open source general references?

Even if a super secret slot design gives a competitive advantage, what kind of advantage is it if the company never tells the consumer about it? It is surprising to me that no one anywhere has ever done tests to say, "Yes, our slotted rotors outperformed the basic OEM plain rotors by XX%." Maybe no one has a marketing department...... Heck, no mechanical engineer students have undertaken this as a test for a thesis?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts